Gel nails, Blue sky

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the point is that you have been given information that confirms that the product you are using on your clients does not pass European regulations and is therefore to be considered unsafe for use on the public, it would also invalidate your insurance.

Correct me if I'm wrong Rinn x

Last edited:
I think the point is that you have been given information that confirms that the product you are using on your clients does not pass European regulations and is therefore to be considered unsafe for use on the public, it would also invalidate your insurance.

Correct me if I'm wrong Rinn x

How do we It isnt up to scratch. I'm going to email the MSDS to trading standards and see what they say because I haven't a clue lol

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Well, I know this.
Whether Bluesky does or doesn't meet EU regulations, has valid or invalid MSDS sheets, is on a crappy website or on Ocado, one thing is for sure.
I would rather be associated with CND, have an account with S2, and the pride of knowing that I've been trained by the great Amanda Fontanarrosa, than be associated with Bluesky.
Just sayin'

Love how you say it like it is Lynne! Couldn't have worded it better myself!

Yes. Belle vie
I am a little obsessed Bob Sweden posts and Geegs, Envys, Mums, Doug Schoon and others because thankfully they do know what they are talking about.
This brand is not accepted or respected as a legitimate professional product.
Some people seem determined to try and defend it by saying you can have their MSDS sheets emailed to you.
I would rather accept the opinions of those who are well respected in their own countries and indeed internationally than a parasitic company of questionable repute

Well, I know this.
Whether Bluesky does or doesn't meet EU regulations, has valid or invalid MSDS sheets, is on a crappy website or on Ocado, one thing is for sure.
I would rather be associated with CND, have an account with S2, and the pride of knowing that I've been trained by the great Amanda Fontanarrosa, than be associated with Bluesky.
Just sayin'

Ok! Wow! No need to be nasty! I too have the relevant qualifications and s2 membership but I'm just trying to help someone out with there question.

My post was not directed at anyone in particular; except those, perhaps, who choose to use such non standard products.

I don't know why I bother half the time. Someone asked a question and I answered. I've used the product for a long time on myself before I was qualified so have some knowledge on it and was just sharing. I don't need people making smarmy comments about me or my opinions

I think the point is that bluesky is not a pro brand, it is not respected and is extremely questionable...why any professional would use something like this on clients is really nuts and trying to defend it or accepting a company like that's word on some email they sent with so called msds sheets....well I think energy is better spent on learning why these "brands" are an issue.

Or actually just not even giving them a second thought and focusing on proper professional brands and building a business properly.

Also, Lynne wasn't being nasty, she just made a very candid statement, one at which I think a lot of nail geeks will agree with.

Debate is always good and it's also good not to infer tone where there isn't any :hugs:

Why, if you have an S2 membership, do you use Bluesky? This is a genuine question, and I promise I'm not trying to be smarmy; just trying to understand your motives.

Why, if you have an S2 membership, do you use Bluesky? This is a genuine question, and I promise I'm not trying to be smarmy; just trying to understand your motives.

I wasn't a qualified technician when I used it, I used on my self to see if I like gel polish before considering taking a course because I learnt gel extensions myself about 10 years and enjoy it so I thought I would try it out.

I've not actually ever had one problem with it either, to be honest I prefer it to Shellac but Shellac is what people want.

I think if you want to be taken seriously in the "Nail Industry" whether it's by your peers or your clients then using professional products is a must, it sets the tone so to speak.

Just my opinion x

Bluesky is awful. Another student when I was training bought it in bulk off ebay for use in her hair salon that was starting to offer nails and she advertised it as CND Shellac. She came into college with it on one night and it wouldn't come off (well not in 10 mins like shellac) tried to wrap it like shellac because thats what she told us it was and the wrap didn't make a dent in it... ended up having to soak and file like L&P enhancements!:eek:

Alex

I wasn't a qualified technician when I used it, I used on my self to see if I like gel polish before considering taking a course because I learnt gel extensions myself about 10 years and enjoy it so I thought I would try it out.

I've not actually ever had one problem with it either, to be honest I prefer it to Shellac but Shellac is what people want.

Can I ask why you feel you prefer it to CND Shellac?

Im not qualified YET (am booked to do my cert2 though can't wait!) and I first started using an Australian made brand of shellac called Epicnail. I've got a friend who owns her own salon and she's taught me how to use CND shellac and it wasn't until I bought my own Epicnail that I realized how much I love doing nails and decided to go and do a course :-D granted the product I'm usingON MYSELF is not CND shellac but it works well to be honest. My salon owner friend even tested it out and in her personal and professional opinion she thinks for personal use its fine. It does the job doesn't damage your nails and comes offers y how it's meant to in 10 minutes flat.

If it wasn't for epic all I wouldn't have figured out what I want to do. I love my stuff. Once I'm qualified ill buy CND and use it on my customers but i honestly find in Australia no one really cares about brand name as long as it does the job that might just be my feelings about brands in general but when I've gone to the majority of salons in my town I've seen blue sky more often thn not. Granted its not a PROFESSIONAL USE PRODUCT but its their choice I guess.

What I use on myself is fine. If it wasn't I wouldn't use it. I had really badly damaged nails from a tech who screwed my nails up so badly when she did my acrylics that they were peeling and paper thin but I started using CND solar oil, Sally Hansen miracle cure and my Epicnail and I've not had a problem since.

Look at the end of the day there is a reason why there are products made for salons. Just look what happens if you don't kno what your doing and try to bleach your hair LOL! And when I've done my qualification ill be doing a CND shellac course and offering shellac. But if other professionals choose to offer something else or even both at different prices and their customers are still happy and healthy then that's good for them. In Australia right now the cost of living is increasing dramatically electricity is ok the rise and a lot of people can't afford the basics. I started my own bath and body import business in order to offer awesome products including mineral makeup and low prices because people who love on the bones of their bums and can't always afford to pay the high prices still deserve to feel good about themselves. I know personally I would rather charge less for a products or service, do more work, have customers who can go home feeling good about themselves looking good and also not have to stress about which bill will have to suffer slightly for them to treat themselves.

Each to their own and I did say I'm NOT A professional YET but I am still learning and experimenting and I guess I feel differently to many others :)

ALSO!! Please excuse my spelling haha I'm using the app on my phone and the bottom line keeps disappearing underneath the keypad on my iPhone :-s hahah

So cos Bluesky is so cheap, if for instance you charge £20 for a set of gelish how much would you charge for a set of Bluesky? Half?

£10 is not a lot is it?

Im not qualified YET (am booked to do my cert2 though can't wait!) and I first started using an Australian made brand of shellac called Epicnail. I've got a friend who owns her own salon and she's taught me how to use CND shellac and it wasn't until I bought my own Epicnail that I realized how much I love doing nails and decided to go and do a course :-D granted the product I'm usingON MYSELF is not CND shellac but it works well to be honest. My salon owner friend even tested it out and in her personal and professional opinion she thinks for personal use its fine. It does the job doesn't damage your nails and comes offers y how it's meant to in 10 minutes flat.

If it wasn't for epic all I wouldn't have figured out what I want to do. I love my stuff. Once I'm qualified ill buy CND and use it on my customers but i honestly find in Australia no one really cares about brand name as long as it does the job that might just be my feelings about brands in general but when I've gone to the majority of salons in my town I've seen blue sky more often thn not. Granted its not a PROFESSIONAL USE PRODUCT but its their choice I guess.

What I use on myself is fine. If it wasn't I wouldn't use it. I had really badly damaged nails from a tech who screwed my nails up so badly when she did my acrylics that they were peeling and paper thin but I started using CND solar oil, Sally Hansen miracle cure and my Epicnail and I've not had a problem since.

Look at the end of the day there is a reason why there are products made for salons. Just look what happens if you don't kno what your doing and try to bleach your hair LOL! And when I've done my qualification ill be doing a CND shellac course and offering shellac. But if other professionals choose to offer something else or even both at different prices and their customers are still happy and healthy then that's good for them. In Australia right now the cost of living is increasing dramatically electricity is ok the rise and a lot of people can't afford the basics. I started my own bath and body import business in order to offer awesome products including mineral makeup and low prices because people who love on the bones of their bums and can't always afford to pay the high prices still deserve to feel good about themselves. I know personally I would rather charge less for a products or service, do more work, have customers who can go home feeling good about themselves looking good and also not have to stress about which bill will have to suffer slightly for them to treat themselves.

Each to their own and I did say I'm NOT A professional YET but I am still learning and experimenting and I guess I feel differently to many others :)

I think that is crazy business sense. Does tesco think about me when I do my shopping. Do they think hey Laura hasn't got much money this week but we still want her to have a nice full trolley of shopping so we will do it all for cheap. No,they don't as they are out to make profit. That is how businesses work. Don't be worrying how others can afford your service. You need to be making sure that can afford to pay your bills, buy products advertise etc.

I'm thinking out loud here. I'm just wondering if this attitude of everyone should be able to afford everything is the root of a lot of the problems we hear about on here.
The paying public has come to expect that everything is cheap; food, fuel, clothes, life in general. As we are seeing in the economy as a whole, life is not cheap, nor should it be. Things should have a value, and some things should be out of the reach of some of us.
The prices I charge in the salon are deliberately set higher than the average because I don't want to attract the bargain hunters. I'm at the waitrose end of the spectrum rather than the Lidl end, and I'm happy with that!
The more that therapists pander to the cheapest is best business model the longer the public will expect it, and resent paying a fair price for top notch products and treatments.

There will always be a place for the cheaper treatments and products, but they have to be priced properly. If they're underpriced it is unsustainable, and the longer the public will expect to find them.

Remember, it's all about supply and demand. Once upon a time oysters were cheap, cheap, cheap, and everyone ate them. The supply now is much reduced and the demand is correspondingly higher, so the price has gone up enormously. I know not everyone enjoys an oyster (I love them with a chilled pouilly fume), but for those of us who do, we're prepared to pay the higher price.

I like to think of myself as a purveyor of oysters, not fish fingers!

Which one are you?!

I'm thinking out loud here. I'm just wondering if this attitude of everyone should be able to afford everything is the root of a lot of the problems we hear about on here.
The paying public has come to expect that everything is cheap; food, fuel, clothes, life in general. As we are seeing in the economy as a whole, life is not cheap, nor should it be. Things should have a value, and some things should be out of the reach of some of us.
The prices I charge in the salon are deliberately set higher than the average because I don't want to attract the bargain hunters. I'm at the waitrose end of the spectrum rather than the Lidl end, and I'm happy with that!
The more that therapists pander to the cheapest is best business model the longer the public will expect it, and resent paying a fair price for top notch products and treatments.

There will always be a place for the cheaper treatments and products, but they have to be priced properly. If they're underpriced it is unsustainable, and the longer the public will expect to find them.

Remember, it's all about supply and demand. Once upon a time oysters were cheap, cheap, cheap, and everyone ate them. The supply now is much reduced and the demand is correspondingly higher, so the price has gone up enormously. I know not everyone enjoys an oyster (I love them with a chilled pouilly fume), but for those of us who do, we're prepared to pay the higher price.

I like to think of myself as a purveyor of oysters, not fish fingers!

Which one are you?!

I'm also a purveyor of oysters! Thank you Lynn you explained it perfectly. :hug:

Latest posts

Back