GMTV and DIY nail art!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too lol. The nails said enough without the volume!

Shall we just point out, that the girls who did these nails were not professionals in any way so naturally, the work they did was not up to any kind of standard ... rather than slating them to death ...

I should bloomin well hope a professional's work would be better for goodness sakes. And it should be a lesson for the consumer to go to professionals instead of DIY.

Enough of the bitch fest ... to all those who SAY they can do SO much better ... let's see your rendition of the Laboutin nail or the lace nail or the half moon polish job, in one go in front of a camera .... it's not that easy to make a flawless job of it.

What? I thought they were lovely!!! Just off to cut up a pair of lace curtains to glue on my fingers.....Hey!! Just thought, I could probably colour it in with a felt tip pen to make it a nice black instead of white....will let you know how wonderfully it works out...or maybe I'll get invited onto TV for a followup!!

you have made my night! hahahahaa!

i watched it when it aired and i sat wondering what the beauty editor was thinking? i think it would have been much better if she had done the nails, or had a pro in, the poor girls looked so embarassed i think! i think if you dont want to professionally get nail art done, a one colour nail, neatly applied, is the way to go, :)

:)

yes but they could have done a half decent job of it... i showed my boyfriend this video, his response "oh dear"

maybe if gmtv had dedicated a little more time to it or gone back to the models in 15 mins perhaps like they do for makeovers there would have been nicer results

geeg are there any useful tutorals on how to do the louboutin manicure, i sure as hell cant afford the shoes *sob* :cry: but would love to do this and also what kind of lace is best for the lace manicure, theres looked a bit cheap and nasty to me

x

yes but they could have done a half decent job of it... i showed my boyfriend this video, his response "oh dear"

maybe if gmtv had dedicated a little more time to it or gone back to the models in 15 mins perhaps like they do for makeovers there would have been nicer results

geeg are there any useful tutorals on how to do the louboutin manicure, i sure as hell cant afford the shoes *sob* :cry: but would love to do this and also

what kind of lace is best for the lace manicure, theres looked a bit cheap and nasty to me

x

Well when I have done the Laboutin polish, I always do the underneath first NOT last, which produces a much neater finish and use a thinner brush so you can get the colour well under the free edge without getting polish on the skin. You need to pull the skin well back under the free edge to do this well and a bit of Solar oil on the skin first so that it doesn't stick to the underside of the nail when the polish is wet.

They said the lace they used cost 80.00 a meter so it wasn't cheap. I think it was the way it was done that looked cheap, not the quality of the lace. I would never stick the lace on in the base coat the way they did. It didn't stick down and was all curling up at the edges!

Last edited:
They look like they wouldn't last long before they fade (spelling?) smelled funny and attracted random bits of Velcro! And how would you wash your hands ;)
They are cute though but maybe they need to be capped ?

Do you know there is a Minx pattern that's got a sort of lace affect ! It looks lovely! :)

a special occasion or night out... and perhaps hand sanitizer lol, i do like the lace effect you can get with stamping but this has a real wow factor

also my thoughts exactly on the capping:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shall we just point out, that the girls who did these nails were not professionals in any way so naturally, the work they did was not up to any kind of standard ... rather than slating them to death ...

I should bloomin well hope a professional's work would be better for goodness sakes. And it should be a lesson for the consumer to go to professionals instead of DIY.

Enough of the bitch fest ... to all those who SAY they can do SO much better ... let's see your rendition of the Laboutin nail or the lace nail or the half moon polish job, in one go in front of a camera .... it's not that easy to make a flawless job of it.

Can I just remind you, that you started this thread, so you opened the doors to the bitch fest, and I would appreciate it, (intentionally or not) if you did not keep attacking every comment I write on here (I am recently qualified, thats why my painting is not perfect as yet, am learning a lot from Salon Geek), as I feel that for some reason you have it in for me, on this website.

Can I just remind you, that you started this thread, so you opened the doors to the bitch fest, and I would appreciate it, (intentionally or not) if you did not keep attacking every comment I write on here (I am recently qualified, thats why my painting is not perfect as yet, am learning a lot from Salon Geek), as I feel that for some reason you have it in for me, on this website.

What a very strange thing to say!? Attacking??

As I said in an earlier post it just demonstrates the difference between trying to do nails at home and going to a salon.

I think this is a bit harsh, Geeg wasnt "Attacking" as you put it you at all. She responded to another posters comment not yours.
Geeg is a highly respected industry icon. Check her credentials. I understand that you may not have been in the industry long but geek is a friendly site and we do not like animosity in any way shape or form.
And Geeg certainly wouldn't attack anyone on here.
Jen xx

having had to do it recently, I couldn't agree more!!!

I cannot see the vid but...

it's always hard, I am often asked here to do a few nail art ideas for special days/event/xmas etc, and in the beginning I went with something easy such as matching colors... or picking a trendy one.. then recently we decided we'd go for something way more difficult, basically on this idea that you see it in a paper, on tv, in an ad, etc, you like it and you bring it to your nail tech and she does it for you. but even if I do a lot of good polishing... you can make sure I will mess up the one we're shooting. it's just.. ppl watching, shooting... stress!

Has anyone got any pics for the half moon manicure or lace? would you do the white first then the colour? I bet red and white would look stunning.

Yet again Gigi's point has been missed.

Yes She started the thread, but her intentions were to to discuss why do people broadcast things like this on national TV'? and how or which way does it affect ourselves as a technician and the industry.

I haven't made a post up until now, partly because when I saw the link, my first thought was how much better can I really do it myself..? I wanted to try it first before laughing at others.

So I had a go, the Louboutin nail I did fine, but the half moon together with the french smile was actually quite difficult to do.

My smile lines were ok, but the colour came out not smooth enough because it was difficult to 'smile' up and down in one go as the moon is a smaller smile to the edge smile line which means you may have to overlap somewhere and sometimes the colour doesn't come out even enough.

The lace I didn't even attempt because lace is not suppose to be put on your nail with just a base and top coat. The lace needed to be encased with L+p or gel, and if I did that, it would be unfair to compare because I did a completely thing to what they did.

I don't have any pictures to show because I feel the job I did wasn't good enough, the conclusion is that yes, I did a lot better, but not so much better that I feel I can be proud of.

Painting nails is an art in my opinion, it is not an easy job. My painting skills are ok, but I still think there are many areas in which I can improve.

I think sometimes we need step back and take a good hard look at ourselves before commenting the ability of others. There are constantly threads up on here asking which is the best way to do a french manicure because many of us can not do the perfect smile line. In that case, why laugh at someone else...?

When things like this is broadcast on national TV, it really does make us tech look stupid, anyone who doesn't know any better will think we ALL paint like that.

But reputation is also something we need to work hard on and build for ourselves. Pages and pages of bitchiness on a worldwide website really does no favours to our already brainless image.

I personally think that sometimes there is just no need for some things.

Last edited:
I wanted to try it first before laughing at others.

I think sometimes we need step back and take a good hard look at ourselves before commenting on others. There are constantly threads up on here asking which is the best way to do a french manicure because many of us can not do the perfect smile line. In that case, why laugh at someone else...?

I pretty much agree with your post, just that have you not contradicted yourself a little here? Unless you meant that you thought you would be laughing, but after trying it realised it was harder than you thought.

If that's the case, then huge respect to you for being so honest!

J xx

I pretty much agree with your post, just that have you not contradicted yourself a little here? Unless you meant that you thought you would be laughing, but after trying it realised it was harder than you thought.

If that's the case, then huge respect to you for being so honest!

J xx

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry if it sounded confusing.

That half moon plus smile line thing really was harder than I thought. I can do it, just not as perfect as I thought I could.

Goodness, I think lots of points have been missed here! Geeg is extolling the virtues of the professional.

I do think professionals should be able to do most things but no one can do everything!!

BTW the only way to get a perfect version of the moon/free edge is with airbrushing. ( a neon version I did for Vogue is on my agents website)

Lace CAN be applied to the nail with just a top coat as long as the lace is very fine (I did it for Lady Gaga in a recent Vogue). The fabric needs to be very delicate, cut to shape and then placed on wet top coat. A thick layer of top coat carefully placed (not painted) on top. It won't last long but will look good for an event. Airbrushing will do it beautifully and last longer

How silly. This has got to take the prize for the daftest post I've ever seen on this site.

I have now looked through every one of your posts to find that I have only ever responded to ONE of your 17 posts ( so please do point out to me where I have attacked every comment you have written here on the salon geek) and that was to educate you about pterygium. And that is attacking or having it in for you? Ridiculous. I don't even know who you are!!

My comment on this thread was not even remotely directed specifically at you so lets not be either paranoid or silly shall we?

How silly. This has got to take the prize for the daftest post I've ever seen on this site.

I have now looked through every one of your posts to find that I have only ever responded to ONE of your 17 posts ( so please do point out to me where I have attacked every comment you have written here on the salon geek) and that was to educate you about pterygium. And that is attacking or having it in for you? Ridiculous. I don't even know who you are!!

My comment on this thread was not even remotely directed specifically at you so lets not be either paranoid or silly shall we?

good for you geeg! :)

oh and thanks for the tips on the lace manicure any links to pictures of your work mum?

Goodness, I think lots of points have been missed here! Geeg is extolling the virtues of the professional.

I do think professionals should be able to do most things but no one can do everything!!

BTW the only way to get a perfect version of the moon/free edge is with airbrushing. ( a neon version I did for Vogue is on my agents website)

Lace CAN be applied to the nail with just a top coat as long as the lace is very fine (I did it for Lady Gaga in a recent Vogue). The fabric needs to be very delicate, cut to shape and then placed on wet top coat. A thick layer of top coat carefully placed (not painted) on top. It won't last long but will look good for an event. Airbrushing will do it beautifully and last longer

Brilliant..!! What a constructive post Marian.

Thank you for advising us how it is done and thank you for sharing your experience.

Thank you also for correcting me and I take back what I ignorantly said about the lace, I will indeed have a go when I get the time. If it is good enough for Lady Gaga, then it is good enough for me to try...!!

My half moon and free edge may not have turned out the way I had wanted it to, but I will keep trying until I am finally pleased with it. Maybe one day I will be able to do it just as well as your airbrushing? :lol::lol:

Does anyone else have any others ideas and experience to share...? Let's turn this thread back to something interesting and useful....?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back