Good and Bad news

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawncbn

Reaction score
Just read in the Telegraph that salons are being targeted by "jobsworths", yet again.

Salons to be fined up to £20,000 for serving seasonal drinks to customers!! how nuts is that?

One good thing that I have discovered to get us out of paying the CPS for a music licence :). Check out this site :: Royalty Free Music Radio - Quality Entertainment with NO Recurring Fees
its called royalty free radio. Its the way I am going to be playing music in my salon from now on as I am sick to death of paying through the nose for everything.

Grr, some of those jobsworths are taking the mickey! It's hardly like you'd be running a boozy lock-in at your salon is it!!!

Good news about the royalty free radio station though :)

Do you have to pay for any license if you are just playing your own Cd's or iTunes? Are licenses just to play the radio, or do you need one to play music anyhow?

if you google playing music in a shop it will tell you on the prs site that you have to buy a licence to play any music cd etc. Just another bill !!! so this is the way I am going to be playing music in my salon from now. I can do without paying out anymore:irked:

JUst reading through the PRS site- if you have music videos or any TV showing, thats another license!! I don't blame you, I'll be looking into this when I'm set up, any money saved is good!!

As I saiod before....check if you still need a PPL licencse...see this from the PPL website. The Royalty-free thing doesn't say anything about PPL licenses

why obtaining a prs or MCPS licence is not enough

Please note that PPL is not the same as the Performing Right Society (PRS), the Mechanical Copyright Protection Society (MCPS) or the MCPS-PRS Alliance.
Whenever a sound recording or music video is played in public or broadcast in the UK, a PRS licence is likely to be required in addition to a licence from PPL. Similarly, you are likely to need a PPL licence as well as an MCPS licence to copy a sound recording or music video in the UK.
This is because the law protects separately the underlying musical and lyrical compositions (e.g. the “song”) embodied in sound recordings and music videos. The rights in those musical and lyrical works are owned separately (by composers/publishers) and licensed collectively on behalf of those separate copyright owners by PRS and MCPS (who operate together as the MCPS-PRS Alliance).

Getting back to the seasonal drinks,
how can we be fined if we are not charging for the drinks ?
and how do the department stores get around it that offer champagne manicures etc ?

Getting back to the seasonal drinks,
how can we be fined if we are not charging for the drinks ?
and how do the department stores get around it that offer champagne manicures etc ?

Hi, not sure to be honest but I guess somebody will be snooping. I read the telegraph online and that was one of the first things that I read this morning! I just couldn't believe it, just stupid. I am thinking of priniting it off and putting it on one of the dressout stations on xmas eve and still give my customers a glass of seasonal fare :)

Here is a copy from the Telegraph::mad:
Hairdressers face jail for offering customers mulled wine

Hairdressers who offer their customers a festive glass of mulled wine at Christmas have been warned that they face six months in jail and a £20,000 fine.

The threat was made by council chiefs, who even announced that they will send officers into salons under cover in an effort to catch offenders. Hairdressers have criticised the move as "Scrooge-like".
Norwich City Council wrote to all hairdressing businesses in the city ordering them to get a licence if they want to serve alcoholic drinks.
Sent to 104 salons in Norwich, the letter states that the practice of serving complimentary alcoholic drinks is a breach of the law and requires various licences.
It then warns: "To address this issue enforcement action, including the use of undercover officers, may be undertaken in the near future."
The council also declares that anyone found guilty of unlawfully supplying alcohol could face a maximum of six months in jail, a maximum fine of £20,000 or both.
Nigel Matthews, owner of Nigel Alexandre salon, said: "The vast majority of salons serve tea and coffee throughout the year and in the couple of weeks before Christmas offer a glass of wine or mulled wine or sherry. It seems very Scrooge-like to send a letter out just as we are entering the festive period.

Here is a copy from the Telegraph::mad:
Hairdressers face jail for offering customers mulled wine

Hairdressers who offer their customers a festive glass of mulled wine at Christmas have been warned that they face six months in jail and a £20,000 fine.

The threat was made by council chiefs, who even announced that they will send officers into salons under cover in an effort to catch offenders. Hairdressers have criticised the move as "Scrooge-like".
Norwich City Council wrote to all hairdressing businesses in the city ordering them to get a licence if they want to serve alcoholic drinks.
Sent to 104 salons in Norwich, the letter states that the practice of serving complimentary alcoholic drinks is a breach of the law and requires various licences.
It then warns: "To address this issue enforcement action, including the use of undercover officers, may be undertaken in the near future."
The council also declares that anyone found guilty of unlawfully supplying alcohol could face a maximum of six months in jail, a maximum fine of £20,000 or both.
Nigel Matthews, owner of Nigel Alexandre salon, said: "The vast majority of salons serve tea and coffee throughout the year and in the couple of weeks before Christmas offer a glass of wine or mulled wine or sherry. It seems very Scrooge-like to send a letter out just as we are entering the festive period.

Why am I not surprised it's Norwich! For crying out loud, this city is full of jobsworths. People are just trying to run a small business, be festive, and friendly to their customers. The big companies like ASDA, Tesco, etc. can afford these licenses to do this kind of thing, small salons can't.

It reminds me of the office I work in. We've been told to remove all personal items from our desks. The only things to be left on your desk are your computer, keyboard and supplied mouse mat. I got to work the other day, and to be synical, a guy had brought in one lonely gold bauble, hung it on the notice board, and said "there you go, that's us decorated for christmas".

I'm thinking of taking a picture of Bob Cratchit in to put on the board when no-one's looking.:rolleyes:

Ouch, and Norwich council too! Maybe they should just serve Norfolk Punch instead? We used to get that a while ago, it's made with herbs and is alcohol free...

Ouch, and Norwich council too! Maybe they should just serve Norfolk Punch instead? We used to get that a while ago, it's made with herbs and is alcohol free...

:) :green: :)

HA HA HA HA HA! VICTORY FOR THE SALONS FOR A CHANGE!

On the way home from work, they were reporting on the story about the salons mulled wine thing on Radio Norfolk. They had a representative from Norwich City Council on, he admitted the letter was "heavy handed" and said it was an error, and that it was a ridiculous thought that council workers would be going around getting multiple haircuts in order to try to catch someone out! The presenter afterwards said that everyone can relax, they can go to the hairdresser and accept any offer of a Christmas Tipple without worrying their hairdresser will be banged up!

Thought you guys would like to know!

HA HA HA HA HA! VICTORY FOR THE SALONS FOR A CHANGE!

On the way home from work, they were reporting on the story about the salons mulled wine thing on Radio Norfolk. They had a representative from Norwich City Council on, he admitted the letter was "heavy handed" and said it was an error, and that it was a ridiculous thought that council workers would be going around getting multiple haircuts in order to try to catch someone out! The presenter afterwards said that everyone can relax, they can go to the hairdresser and accept any offer of a Christmas Tipple without worrying their hairdresser will be banged up!

Thought you guys would like to know!

Good result, hope the idiot in the council that started it gets a right rolicking!!!

Good result, hope the idiot in the council that started it gets a right rolicking!!!

A suitable punishment would be having his hair shaved off for charity lol! Or a sponsored full body wax!

I'm planning on serving complimentary drinks all year round and asked the advice of my local council licensing section. Their reply was that I dont NEED a license but if it goes to court it could be argued that I was charging for the drinks within my prices, but in response I can argue that my prices are the same if a customer has a drink or not therefore it IS complimentary. They said they couldn't advise further and it was up to me! Most helpfull....NOT!

I remember reading something about this a few years back & for it to be genuinely free, you have to offer it to any jo bloggs who asks, even if they don't have a treatment, could just be a cheeky passerby.

I thought it was only illegal if you charged for it?! im pretty sure thats the case.

When I was a young raver I looked into how to put on a legal-ish rave and to get around the drink thing, they did a Raffle and the prize was a bottle of alcohol so it wasnt technically selling it and so legal!

Back