Good and Bad news

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the law takes a view that if you stand to make a profit from the provision of alcohol, then you need a license. Of course, a freebie glass could be seen as an incentive to come in for a treatment, so in extreme cases, it could be looked at this way.

But it depends on the licensing authority as to how far they take it...some clearly go too far!

My clients are the ones that bring in the booze, I wonder where the council would stand on this ?

My clients are the ones that bring in the booze, I wonder where the council would stand on this ?

You have them well trained Carl! :)

You have them well trained Carl! :)

They text me before their appointments, "coffee, cake, coke or chardonnay"?
It's quite funny. It's the 4 "C's" :)

They text me before their appointments, "coffee, cake, coke or chardonnay"?
It's quite funny. It's the 4 "C's" :)

My clients often show up with a "tim horton's" coffee (popular coffee place in canada) with one for me. Usually an Extra Large. I figure they want me awake after my day with kids to do their nails :lol: But basically, they love spoiling me as much as they love spoiling you.:green:

Just had a thought.......
What if everyone with this licensing problem in the UK simply told the court that the bottles were gifts from customers that the staff chose to share???????????????????????????????
If cards were attached to each bottle "to the staff of so-n-so, from so-n-so; wishing you all the best for the season, thanks for my lovely highlights" and so on and so forth. :lol:

It's rude to get a box of choccies and not share, so why wouldn't that apply to booze?

:green:

Good Idea about the bottles from customers:)

Going back to music licence, ahem, I had a final demand from the PRS for £80 something so I phoned them on Friday. 3 points were made, I told them never to send me threatning letters that overdue accounts were to be handed over to a debt agency when my current licence does not expire until 10th December, (these letters have been sent since end of November).
2nd, You have even charged the old vat rate, they mumbled and changed that.
3rd, I insisted they put a note onto my account not to send my account to debt recovery as I was now going to try loyalty free radio for 2 months. His reply was astounding. " well I don't think you will like the royalty free radio, its like elevator music and it will demoralise your staff". "I will be the judge of that", I curtly told him and I also said to him that the CPS do in fact realise that to be able to listen to a radio in the work place is for the good of the workers not for the public who are passing through. I then threw in that my partners music would be played as he writes his own and sings it himself. He replied, "he can only do that if he is not associated with us or another organisation". "explain", I said. "Well if he's getting royalties from...", " stop right there", I said. "If he was getting royalties then I wouldn't be talking to you right now, I'd be sunning myself in the Maldives because you are all robbing small businesses, Good day".
Long story, sorry, but I did feel better after phoning them and telling them what I was going to do, not what they wanted me to do :lol:

Here is a copy from the Telegraph::mad:
Hairdressers face jail for offering customers mulled wine

Hairdressers who offer their customers a festive glass of mulled wine at Christmas have been warned that they face six months in jail and a £20,000 fine.

The threat was made by council chiefs, who even announced that they will send officers into salons under cover in an effort to catch offenders. Hairdressers have criticised the move as "Scrooge-like".
Norwich City Council wrote to all hairdressing businesses in the city ordering them to get a licence if they want to serve alcoholic drinks.
Sent to 104 salons in Norwich, the letter states that the practice of serving complimentary alcoholic drinks is a breach of the law and requires various licences.
It then warns: "To address this issue enforcement action, including the use of undercover officers, may be undertaken in the near future."
The council also declares that anyone found guilty of unlawfully supplying alcohol could face a maximum of six months in jail, a maximum fine of £20,000 or both.
Nigel Matthews, owner of Nigel Alexandre salon, said: "The vast majority of salons serve tea and coffee throughout the year and in the couple of weeks before Christmas offer a glass of wine or mulled wine or sherry. It seems very Scrooge-like to send a letter out just as we are entering the festive period.

Hey, It is worth challenging what the council is saying!!! On good advice, provided that you are not selling the beverage (alcoholic or not) then it is incidental to your service. As long as they are not (the client) coming there to buy the drinks then it is like a gift!! Is the council going to be coming to peoples private homes to invade tupperare parties where alcohol is served? Do we need a food and beverage licence to serve biscuits, tea and coffee??? We have to determine what is reasonable!!!
As long as you are not getting them blind drunk to buy tons of products and services then I personally don't see a problem! So as long as your intention is not to impare their judgement...watch this space!!!

The whole system stinks, bar humbug xxxx

Back