Goodbye

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing I have learned to do... even at my grand old age :D, is to occasionally take a short break from salon geek if the craziness starts to wear you down. You won't be the first to do it and certainly not the last.

I have taken breaks due to life committments but have also backed off just to take some chill time. For many geeks, like myself, I work alone and for myself, so I see other salon geeks as my colleagues and people I can communicate with professionally as well as sharing comaraderie and banter. However, as in any work environment, there are going to be disagreements and clashes.

Some geeks are on here every day which is great if that is what they want to do, but can you imagine going into work every day for 7 days a week with no break... no weekends off or annual leave. Eventually it is going to take its toll and as Salon Geek can be so addictive, I personally think that occasionally it is wise to take some time out.

I hope you have changed your mind about leaving or are at least checking the reaponses to this thread as you will see that Salon Geek is full of polite, plesant people who feel similar things to yourself about some of the 'newer, less polite' geeks. I am quite new to Salon Geek but have been here long enough to know it has become a little more volitle of late.:sad:

My way to deal with it is to read the posts and if something seems to be 'a troublesome thread' I usually just stay away. I try to only post if I feel I have something to contribute to the thread and if what I would be saying is repettion of what others have already said I usually choose to not post anything.

I try to live by 'if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all' unless it is to give constructive critisism (sp?).

I always read, then re-read anything I type before hitting send. Sometimes it takes me so long to do that, that others have posted the exact same information that I am busy writing and then re-reading til I'm satisfied I have erased anything that may upset people or come accross wrong.:o

I sometimes prefer to give quick, honest responses but in the early days of joining & posting a few of my posts were taken to be too short and sharp - I didn't mean any harm by just giving the requested info but it seems others read a tone into my responses that I hadn't intended to be there.

Sometimes we've seen the same question asked over & over and get a little fed up of repeating the same info so suggest a search is done - JUST suggesting a search has landed me on the wrong side of some of these geeks that seem to be 'rocking the boat' and I find myself having to explain that they would get the answers they seek much quicker and from a lot of geeks who may not be online right then as the answers are there in the past threads just waiting to be found.

Anyway, Salon Geek is a big site and it's full of lovely people who are willing to share their knowlegde & experience for free, there is no other site that I have found that has so many professionals in one place who are as willing to help and advise as those who are here on Salon Geek. There will always be those who have no respect and treat others badly, it is up to us to either report the posts that upset us or learn to ignore those that we know we clash with.

I really hope you decide to stay. :Love:

Rapunzel, I'm a relative newbie to this site though I've been in the industry for a while. You stand out in my mind and I'd certainly hate to lose you. I know the type of individual you're talking about, we all do, and they most assuredly won't be posting on this thread. When I see threads heading in "that" direction, I check out. I'm gone. I will not participate in a bitch-fest. But as one of our more seasoned geeks suggested, that's what the red button is for...I should have used it. If we want to make this site a better place, we should use the red button and not participate in the immaturity and bitter ramblings of children and those who are child-like. I, for one, want the knowledge and the sharing of information from TRUE PROFESSIONALS. If we are diligent and use the red button and alert the mods, maybe we can weed out the non-professional among us.

I have a mantra in my life.

"Deaf to bull**it, blind to fake s**t. Stop wasting your time on people who don’t deserve to be an issue in your life."

With that said, please stay Rapunzel.

I love that mantra :)

I love salon geek too :) it is such a helpful community to be part of :) I am on a number of forums related to common interests I have and every now and then it always gets a bit intense but at the end of the day it's a website and you can take or leave things as you please and ultimately, you are empowered :)

Rapunzal, I regularly get slated on here, and like you I have thought F**CK Y*U, to the people who shout loud, but know little.

Thats the thing, they know little. They don't even do the same job that we do, they have no idea about our level of expertise, and why should they?

Non salon owners often slate me during debates about staff. They don't employ, and I guarantee that if they did, they would be more smypathetic.

I don't know which comments or thread drove you to feel this way, because if you are anything like me you will have deleted it. (I don't like it being public when I get slated).

Have a little look at their profiles, I bet they have NOTHING in common with you.

I hate seeing anyone feeling they need to leave a forum because of others :(

I get very paranoid about threads like this as newbies are always mentioned and I panic!

Is there an 'ignore' option on this site? If so it would make your online experience much more pleasant if you have a person or people who you just don't see eye to eye with. Things like this happen on any online community, there are many factors though which have already been mentioned on the thread. There has also been some really good advice.

There is a wealth of information, experience and help on this site. Please don't let a minority spoil it for you.

I hate seeing anyone feeling they need to leave a forum because of others :(

I get very paranoid about threads like this as newbies are always mentioned and I panic!

Is there an 'ignore' option on this site? If so it would make your online experience much more pleasant if you have a person or people who you just don't see eye to eye with. Things like this happen on any online community, there are many factors though which have already been mentioned on the thread. There has also been some really good advice.

There is a wealth of information, experience and help on this site. Please don't let a minority spoil it for you.

Yes there is an ignore option in everyone's profile. This way you will not see any posts by your ignoree - I am not sure however if they will be invisible if someone quotes their response if that makes sense.

There most certainly is an ignore/block person on sg. Have a look at the control panel, just type persons name and tick it when it comes up, simples

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Yes there is an ignore option in everyone's profile. This way you will not see any posts by your ignoree - I am not sure however if they will be invisible if someone quotes their response if that makes sense.

Generally the post is seen if quoted, I know it's not ideal, but it's not a direct post/response and sometimes they don't look/feel so bad. I'm terrible at explaining this sorry :(

this post has made me feel so sad.

Sometimes our trading lives can be quite insular, our staff don't understand us, our customers have no right to know things about us and sometimes, SG is the place where we can ask what might seem like a daft question. It is difficult to insert tone in written word, and I have sometimes read a post and thought "ouch" but I am sure the poster perhaps just didn't think before pressing submit.

I'd like to think that we can all look out for each other, offer support and advice where needed and I sincerely thank everyone who has helped me since I joined.

I wonder if a PM to someone who has come across a bit prickly might be an idea - I, for sure, would hate to think I'd upset someone and would like to know if that was the case.

Now as a little light relief :
FIVE RULES TO REMEMBER IN LIFE:
1. Money cannot buy happiness but its more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.
2. Forgive your enemy but remember the bastards name.
3. Help someone when they are in trouble and they will remember you when they're in trouble again.
4. Many people are alive only because its illegal to shoot them.
5. Alcohol doesn't solve any problems. But then again, neither does milk. Drink up !!

xx

Point 1)

I actually felt the same a couple of weeks ago as someone was really rude to me and not for the first time. But another geek sort of found out about it and was really lovely to me and made me feel much better.

Since then, I have used ignore on 3 people that clearly just come on here to be bitchy and I feel so much better.

Made some great pals on here and I really would hate to lose them.

Point 2)

I have subscribed to Biz, skin, nail and chat forums but unfortunately hair still comes up. If the site could be fixed so we only forums that we subscribed to, then maybe hair wouldn't feel the need to get so frustrated.

I only ever speak in hair if I see someone being rude to someone else as I think there is no need to be nasty. You can constructively critisize without being derogatory and I guess some people forget that!

Now in the words of Blackstreet "Don't leeeeeeeeeave me girl...."

Last edited:
this post has made me feel so sad.

Sometimes our trading lives can be quite insular, our staff don't understand us, our customers have no right to know things about us and sometimes, SG is the place where we can ask what might seem like a daft question. It is difficult to insert tone in written word, and I have sometimes read a post and thought "ouch" but I am sure the poster perhaps just didn't think before pressing submit.

I'd like to think that we can all look out for each other, offer support and advice where needed and I sincerely thank everyone who has helped me since I joined.

I wonder if a PM to someone who has come across a bit prickly might be an idea - I, for sure, would hate to think I'd upset someone and would like to know if that was the case.

Now as a little light relief :
FIVE RULES TO REMEMBER IN LIFE:
1. Money cannot buy happiness but its more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.
2. Forgive your enemy but remember the bastards name.
3. Help someone when they are in trouble and they will remember you when they're in trouble again.
4. Many people are alive only because its illegal to shoot them.
5. Alcohol doesn't solve any problems. But then again, neither does milk. Drink up !!

xx

I have those rules on my fridge!

I also agree with the rest of your post x

I'd also like to say about the PM thing, I would die if I thought I had upset someone by something I said or came across as rude. It's not how I am at all. So anyone ever, if I say something that reads badly please let me know!!!

stay. keyboard warriors are nothing to.worry about. some people seem to want to put others down to feel superior or argue for arguments sake. i appreciate hair gets a lot of questions from non pros but its sometimes forgotten that so do the.other threads. Perhaps some kind of registration with certificates would be useful. And maybe.if.some of us professionals helped and posted a tad more.in the consumer forums the unqualified wpuldnt feel the need to post in the professional forum. Dont go lovely. Stay. Stick it out. Cos we can all see who are the bullies, loudmouths and childish posters xxx stay stay stay stay

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

stay. keyboard warriors are nothing to.worry about. some people seem to want to put others down to feel superior or argue for arguments sake. i appreciate hair gets a lot of questions from non pros but its sometimes forgotten that so do the.other threads. Perhaps some kind of registration with certificates would be useful. And maybe.if.some of us professionals helped and posted a tad more.in the consumer forums the unqualified wpuldnt feel the need to post in the professional forum. Dont go lovely. Stay. Stick it out. Cos we can all see who are the bullies, loudmouths and childish posters xxx stay stay stay stay

Registration is a bang on idea xxx

Point 2)

I have subscribed to skin, nail and chat forums but unfortunately hair still comes up. If the site could be fixed so we only forums that we subscribed to, then maybe hair wouldn't feel the need to get so frustrated.

I only ever speak in hair if I see someone being rude to someone else as I think there is no need to be nasty. You can constructively critisize without being derogatory and I guess some people forget that!...

Subscribing doesnt limit what shows up in your new post feeds. If you only want to see the Nail threads then dont click on the All Posts but only view those forums then Hair will not come up.

As a non hair geek, according to the rules, you shouldnt be posting in there at all, sorry if you dont like that.

It is so frustrating for the hair geeks because everyone seems to think that because they have hair, they have an opinion on everything hair.

For many years we were just Nail Geeks and some of the spats that we used to have when non qualified people used to come on and give advice that they were not qualified or experienced enough, to give.

But hey it seems ok for all to do that on the Hair Geek forum.

We do try and move consumer threads to the consumer forum, but there seems to be so many.

Registration with certificates would be an impossible thing to police. How do we know what qualifications there are in the UK, let alone other countries. Who decides what is a qualification as in the UK there is no standard qualification.

If we all chose to act like professionals then the site would become more professional.

We do have people who are happy to use the red button to report posts, but then sometimes they will also wade in with their size 10s and make things a whole lot worse LOL.

Subscribing doesnt limit what shows up in your new post feeds. If you only want to see the Nail threads then dont click on the All Posts but only view those forums then Hair will not come up. That works on, my laptop but not on my iTouch

As a non hair geek, according to the rules, you shouldnt be posting in there at all, sorry if you dont like that. Fair do's, next time I notice anyone being rude then to someone else, I'll just report then then and we'll see if that'll stop it, cos clearly trying to defend someone is wrong!

It is so frustrating for the hair geeks because everyone seems to think that because they have hair, they have an opinion on everything hair. Personally, I don't - my experience was because I was looking at changing a my colour and noticed what I thought was a very nasty comment so I spoke up

For many years we were just Nail Geeks and some of the spats that we used to have when non qualified people used to come on and give advice that they were not qualified or experienced enough, to give.

But hey it seems ok for all to do that on the Hair Geek forum.

Maybe split the site then, SalonGeekBeauty - Biz, Skin, Nail, Chat forums and SalonGeekHair - Biz, Hair & Chat forums

Last edited:
Just a question - I'm trained in hair, however I do not have that listed on here as I don't do it in my salon, and I ocassionally post in there. Perhaps I should list that, so people know I am trained?

Also, there was an incident a week or two ago, and where a non-professional went into a thread and started giving their opinion on dealing with clients. A few of the geeks called her out on it, but a few defended her. Where's the unity? I don't think it looks very good when some of the geeks are supporting non-professionals posting in there.

I have, as of late, been trying my best to be careful what I write, and try not to come across as rude. But even my best efforts have upset a few people, completely unintentionally. I'm so sarcastic, and it doesn't come across in text, so I'm even trying to stop that too. But at some point, I feel like a robot replying lol SG is a huge part of my career. I check it between appointments, and I get up every morning and read/post on here while I eat my breakfast.

After having a completely innocent thread closed I have decided that Salon Geek is no longer the place for me! (this isn't directed at the mod who closed it, I can see why it's been done)
I would like to thank the majority of very professional and genuinely lovely people on here for their advice and tips and wish them well in their career.
To the rest, the trouble causers, pickers and argumentative little girls..I just can't be bothered sifting through the bitchiness to get to the relevant answers to posts.

Take a break if you feel you need to, but don't forget that we are here if you feel the need to come back (and don't be shy if you want to do so) good luck :hug:

We do try and move consumer threads to the consumer forum, but there seems to be so many.

Registration with certificates would be an impossible thing to police. How do we know what qualifications there are in the UK, let alone other countries. Who decides what is a qualification as in the UK there is no standard qualification.

If we all chose to act like professionals then the site would become more professional.

We do have people who are happy to use the red button to report posts, but then sometimes they will also wade in with their size 10s and make things a whole lot worse LOL.

S2 and Ellisons manage it to a degree. But yeah i accept how difficult it could be.

I seriously don't want to stir anything up and fully appreciate the hair forum being inundated but it works both ways. Hair pros will post in nail and skin forums with questions and say just popping over... And visa versa. If your a hair.pro or nail pro and want advice as a consumer u shod still post under consumer. I know Im going to get stick for this but we can't all have it all ways

Urgghhhhh this is very common on sites, I shut down a site I had last year because I couldn't be bothered playing referee to a bunch of supposed grown ups day in day out!

I think I miss a lot of the goings on on here though, I've seen the odd debate but never really more than that. Having said that though, it's vey different reading when you aren't involved.

Latest posts

Back