Guinea Pigs Needed!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a brill idea - I'm all registered! xx

What a brill idea - I'm all registered! xx

Cool :)

Well I am just working on the messaging system at the moment, which will let users send messages to each other (a bit like private messaging on Salon Geek).

So far, you can send a message, and view your inbox and sent items folders. I've also got hooks in for viewing, replying to and deleting messages but they don't do anything yet.

But you can't play with the messaging stuff yet as it's still on my laptop and not on the server yet - but I will put it up as soon as it works!

But that won't be until after Sonia and I have had a nice Sunday lunch down the pub and taken the dogs for a nice long walk lol...

It's so funny as we sit on the sofa with our laptops and a puggy dog between us; she's playing Sudoku and other computer games and I am writing Java code!

lol that sounds like me and Matt, we even talk to each other on MSN when we're sitting next to each other lol.

Just signed up great idea:green:

Right, I've now *almost* got messaging working on the guinea pig site after much frenzied geeking over the past day or so.

I say *almost* because I have noticed what I think is an annoying bug with one of the Apache modules on the web server that I use for url rewriting that seems to be messing up links that are above a certain number of characters in length - and some of the URLs for messaging are longer than most of the others used on the site.

So you'll currently be able to send messages to people, but when you click on the inbox link to read them, the link to read the actual message won't appear - yet.

Will let you know when it's fixed - looks like I am going to have to have a nose over some "C" code for the Apache module to see if I can find the bug and then fix it... well at least it's Open Source so I can have a play anyway lol...

Good news - nothing up with that Apache module at all. It was a silly bug in the JSP code - dodgy HTML syntax with one of my <a> link tags that was causing the weird behaviour when parsed by the Apache module - all fixed now!

So - yay - messaging is now working!!! Please test by sending me lots of messages via the guinea pig site :)

Just been on your site to send you a message but it would not let me,
just thought i should let you know :hug:

Thanks for letting me know, Lou.

What was happening exactly? Did you get an error message: "Sorry, there was a problem..."?

Or was it that I didn't put the link for sending a message in an obvious place?

I've just added the ability to advertise requirements for guinea pigs on the site now.

So if you need guinea pigs for a competition, training course, practice, etc, log on and select "Edit -> Requirements" from the main menu and then click "Add Requirement".

You will then be able to specify the dates for which you need the requirement (leave the end date blank if it's an ongoing requirement, e.g. for practice).

There is then a text box to enter a description of the requirement, and check boxes for which treatments you need guinea pigs for for that requirement.

Requirements will appear on the "List -> Requirements" screen. I will soon be adding a "Search -> Requirements" option too - probably tomorrow.

Again it would be great to have feedback from people using the site, e.g. what is good and what could be improved...

Thanks for letting me know, Lou.

What was happening exactly? Did you get an error message: "Sorry, there was a problem..."?

Or was it that I didn't put the link for sending a message in an obvious place?
Sorry Ruth i cant remember now sorry, i have just been back to your site and sent you a useless message just to see if it was working and it is hun :hug:

Hiya
I know i asked this before but could we make your thread a stikky thread so i dont have to keep looking for you,lol. pmsl that sounds good, lol :hug:

fantastic idea for a website! I have just registered.

Hiya
I know i asked this before but could we make your thread a stikky thread so i dont have to keep looking for you,lol. pmsl that sounds good, lol :hug:

I don't know how to do that! Don't you have to be a mod to make a thread sticky or something?

fantastic idea for a website! I have just registered.

Cool - please let me know if you get the registration email OK.

I have just delivered an update to the server as well, so it may tell you that you are not logged in (it seems to kill any existing user sessions when I re-deploy the application)...

What a fantastic idea ruth !!!:idea: love the site

keep geeking away, can't wait to see the end result

xxxxLxxxx

What a fantastic idea ruth !!!:idea: love the site

keep geeking away, can't wait to see the end result

xxxxLxxxx

Cool, thanks :)

Well, tomorrow night I hope to get the search working for requirements, and then next up my sleeve will be Notifications, where you can choose to receive messages when a new guinea pig joins up for treatments that you need guinea pigs for, or someone posts a requirement for a treatment that you have offered to guinea pig for.

That will all depend on how busy things get in the office during the daytime though - the guinea pig site is worked on only at evenings and weekends when I have the time... admittedly it's been a bit of an obsession the last few weeks though lol...

The latest enhancement is the addition of Google Maps. You can now view a map for a user or a requirement, and (if you are logged in), list and search will display the distance (as the crow flies) in miles between you and other users/requirements.

Well I've finally got the site into what I consider a "workable" state, which will let users search for guinea pigs, and "requirements" for guinea pigs (e.g. training courses). There probably won't be much happening to the site for a while now (apart from any bug fixes) as things are getting pretty busy at this end with one thing and another...

So please let me know how you get on with the site and if there are any issues or bugs that need fixing...

Hi Ruth,
Great idea, i've just registered.......

Hi Ruth,
Great idea, i've just registered.......

Cool, did you get a "complete registration" email as you need to click on the link in that before it completes your registration and lets you log in... I added that bit of code to stop spammers and other idiots from trying to join the site...

Latest posts

Back