Has the Recession made us Killjoys...or were we always this miserable?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There used to be some really great geeks, since this site had a change of MODS they appear to have killed all good spirit and banned all the REAL professionals that actually stand up for their industry! And helped ALOT of geeks! Oh well things can't last forever......and without the glue of Salongeek I can't see how long it will be before it all falls apart. Shame really that it's happened since the change over.

Interesting post as you have only just joined...........

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but it looks like the glue is holding well as every other post is positive.

Hope you feel happier soon. ( I do actually mean that; I'm not being sarcastic)

I have been repeatedly warned that I self promote by posting on here, so I have to be really careful what I post, and yes, it does stop me posting. I rarely bother now, as most of it gets deleted.
I too miss some of the people who were banned (guess this post will be deleted too now!), for hair geeks, it's not much fun at the moment.
I like to think that I've helped a lot of people from here over the years, and in real life I'm funny and nice, possibly it doesn't translate well to screen, as I'm a very typical Londoner.

I hope this forum gets back to it's purpose soon, and the threads that belong on net mums disappear, as they exclude those of us who are childless.

I think one of my points is this site is what you make of it, and to join in and be part of a community is what it should be about.

The rules on advertising are clear, and they shouldn't be a barrier to joining in with anything on the site.
If someone has started a thread asking about a product you sell,train with,or just know all about, then post helpful advice about it. Everyone wins :)

There used to be some really great geeks, since this site had a change of MODS they appear to have killed all good spirit and banned all the REAL professionals that actually stand up for their industry! And helped ALOT of geeks! Oh well things can't last forever......and without the glue of Salongeek I can't see how long it will be before it all falls apart. Shame really that it's happened since the change over.

Just to reply to this, but the person wont see it as a ban is for life and not just for Christmas!

There was not a complete change of mods as some have been consistent all the way through so you cant blame new mods.

And in reply to Dawn, I know this should be a PM but they dont seem to be getting through! People only fall foul of deleted posts when they break the rules and I think out of all of your many many hundreds of posts this has happened twice.

I too wish the site would get back to how it used to be with everyone helping out newbies and playing nice, in line with rule no. 9 .

Happy days!

Something that has kept me laughing most of the day is today I went into a glass shop that cuts glass to size for some glass shelving.I told him I needed the glass 100 cm depth by 400 cm length and I wanted two.

He priced it and it came to over a hundred pound I said blimey that's expensive and how much for the brackets pointing to some that were holding up some nice little shelves in the showroom.He said looking at me a bit odd they will never hold up your glass what's it for. I said two shelves in the bathroom.

He said are you sure you want that size of course we eventually worked out I meant millimetres not centimetres.What an image that must have conjured up 2 massive shelves 4 meters long and a metre wide above my bath.:D
Oh and the price came down a lot too.

Something that has kept me laughing most of the day is today I went into a glass shop that cuts glass to size for some glass shelving.I told him I needed the glass 100 cm depth by 400 cm length and I wanted two.

He priced it and it came to over a hundred pound I said blimey that's expensive and how much for the brackets pointing to some that were holding up some nice little shelves in the showroom.He said looking at me a bit odd they will never hold up your glass what's it for. I said two shelves in the bathroom.

He said are you sure you want that size of course we eventually worked out I meant millimetres not centimetres.What an image that must have conjured up 2 massive shelves 4 meters long and a metre wide above my bath.:D

Maybe he thought you lived in a Mansion with a HUGE bathroom lol!

How many inches would that be ?

The Apprentice ... bbciplayer it if you didn't catch last night's episode.

Maybe he thought you lived in a Mansion with a HUGE bathroom lol!

How many inches would that be ?

I know :D I said it was just for holding my shampoo and stuff.
If I had measured in inches I'd have been ok.

The Apprentice ... bbciplayer it if you didn't catch last night's episode.
No I didn't I must catch up with it though I love it.

Thought of The Apprentice too! I was yelling at the screen when he said it!

Hahaha! I also had apprentice flashbacks xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek

For me, the main thing that makes me stay away from posting is having to repeat myself over and over, and when the person asking the question doesnt like the answer, Im accused of being a snooty moo. Im really not you know, Yes Im odd too, like Penners :lick: s'why I love her! But Im not snotty.
Is it the weather, or the sheer influx of newbies who dont read the rules and have no idea how to use the search function?!
Im uninspired by the sheer amount of extension threads and "how shall I have my own hair" threads and I just havent got the patience to answer anymore :irked:
I do however like to lurk around the blogs... there are some lovely geeks on here who have shown me massive support and respect, without even really knowing me. For that, Im truly grateful and touched that people you have never met can show such empathy.
I miss the banter of the more well known, and some recently banished geeks, that perhaps the newer geeks just didnt get and understand the rapport...

Im still here though, lurking, occasionally posting (whilst ducking in case I get my head bitten off and thrown at me....)
xxxx

I really enjoy salon geek and don't post as much as I should....

I have to say that lately it has been more enjoyable to read with less threads closed and less arguments brewing... However I do also miss some of the banned geeks and there funny comments but cest la vie :)

One of my favourite geeks when I joined was tammy / gr8t nails as she had loads of info and quick wit but she Dosent seem to post much now a days... Does anyone no where she went? Come back you are missed lol!!!

I love a bit of banter and humour.I to have been told off quite a few times for my sence of humour,I talk about farts a lot they make me laugh but obviously it's not to everyones tastes literally so I have had to tone it down quite a lot but I do fined time on here to still have a giggle and show my stupidity to pretty much the world :D.

Lifes to short and I don't care what people think of me on here or anywhere else.If people don't like me or my sence of humour then they can quite frankly jog on.I don't take myself seriously lol.I have a dry sence of humour sometimes but just lately with my cough I'm anything but dry.................I keep doing Lil wee's where I cough so hard :D.

Life has thrown some pretty crap cards at me over the years but I get on with it and this site is a lovely place to meet nice people caring people (you know who you are geeks) One in perticular has changed my life and I really do mean that.

Anyway I have rattled on long enough.xxx

I love this site but that Izzi, always the same, a real rise a row.( did you see she's admitted to robbing my bin)

......and don't even start me on Noodle or D'poppy.......those 2 are a nightmare.

It's people like me who keep the tone on this site respectable....I was educated by the nuns you know

Great thread Isabel.

Having been a member of this site for many years, I've seen many people come and go. Some of you I have met along the way at trade shows, and others I had the pleasure of meeting for the very first time only recently at The Event. Either way, I like to call you all my international cyber family :hug:

You're there to pick me up if I'm feeling down, and you're also there to share my happiness when something good comes along. That's what friends are all about.

There have been many ups and downs on the site recently that's true, but let's try to restore the all important feel good factor, whether that be through offering a help hand with professional advice, or just plain old fashioned support.

We're not always going to agree with everything that's said but at the end of the day, and that's what makes us all different and Salon Geek a place of learning, and that should also extend to respecting the differing opinions of others.

It sure has been a bit quiet on this here old Geek lately ;) I used to blog all the time, sure I bored people to tears, but I don't go on there as much now and haven't blogged for quite a while. Not sure why, perhaps making a few friends on here then chatting on Facebook has meant I don't need to vent my spleen so much ... hoorah I hear you bloggers say :D

As for the comments re Nicole333 and Stephiebaby well what can I say, I possibly let my more inappropriate side slip out more on FB and leave my more (I hope) constructive and helpful side on here! Believe me, it's better for you all that way! What I will say is if you ever have 5 minutes try a new game Nicole333 and I played (I will not go down for this alone woman) of renaming Shellac colours... inappropriate is not the word!

I'm actually on here every day, but don't post as much as I used to. Not for any bad reason per se but as some of you know I do like a waffle (bit like this post is turning out to be) and sometimes folks just want a quick short answer... never one for a short answer me, just ask my poor long suffering mother, husband and son.

Sometimes on FB it is quicker to fire quick questions back and fourth and perhaps because we sometimes have a bit of a brain fart and forget something through FB we can admit to losing the plot, where as on SG we either don't want to look like a plank for not remembering something so don't post (the public read this to you know ;) ), or we feel we can't post because someone may jump on you and ask in a rather shirty way "weren't you taught that in training". Not that that has happened to me (actually once but I smiled, breathed and repeated) but I can understand why some feel this way.

One last thing (thank Christ I hear you say) sometimes I do feel we should be more tolerant of each other and yes if we've got a gripe about something, say a product or service we are entitled to say that just as much as we entitled to say if we love something- obviously I'm not talking about a flat out moan for no good reason or name and shame type post. I think if we could all look at the situation and see how we can help that person with their gripe, rather than it turning in to a bit of a "no you're wrong everything's perfect" then that would be more constructive. That's been a bit of a sticking point for me lately I have to say. After all distributors and companies do read SG so if they see a problem and can turn it around for us all, the better for us all it is.

However (we're on the final furlong) it's peeks and troughs I say with a forum like ours, or any forum come to think of it, a bit like life. I mean one minute I love my husband the next minute I want to slap him silly.

Love n hugs xxx

Last edited:
I love this site but that Izzi, always the same, a real rise a row.( did you see she's admitted to robbing my bin)

......and don't even start me on Noodle or D'poppy.......those 2 are a nightmare.

It's people like me who keep the tone on this site respectable....I was educated by the nuns you know

Educated by the blue nuns do you mean :lick:

Latest posts

Back