Having doubts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Carly*

Reaction score
I really want to become a nail tech and at the moment I'm saving for CND complete (not too much further to go!). I made the mistake of telling my father recently. I've seen him once since, both times it as ended with me in tears and a screaming match. Some of what he has said has sunk in though and doubts are creeping in.

He's basically saying everyone's struggling at the moment, I'll never get enough clients and make enough money to ever be able to afford to buy and run my own house with my partner. His step niece did beauty therapy and couldn't get any work, so he's using that as evidence. When I mentioned if I had trouble building a client base then I'd try salon work, he told me I didn't "look the part" and wasn't attractive enough to be hired as I "don't fit the image people want to project".

I currently live in social housing, so obviously it's low rent. My partner doesn't have a huge salary. We want to move to Somerset (where he's originally from) and buy a house at some point within the next couple of years. My dad is pretty much holding my trust over my head and saying I won't get it (I wanted it towards a deposit on a house), unless I can prove I have an income high enough to support being a home owner.

His suggestion was to become a freelance journalist. I find that odd, as there's no "wage" so to speak and in all honesty, I have zero interest in it. He's annoyed I never went to university and didn't train as a psychologist or Doctor, as I did have the brains for it, though again- no interest and I didn't fancy being in full time study for 6 years plus. Normally I just try to block out everything he says, as it's generally quite detrimental, but he has a point. What if I can't make enough money and get enough clients? My partner has said I wont know 'till I try and if I can't make an income from it then I can just think of it as spending money on some excellent training to become more proficient in my passion. I am still freaking out though and have a million different doubts in my head. I worry even if I do get enough clients, what would I do for childcare (when I have children)? I have no one, outside my partner, that I can rely on.

I'm just feeling so rubbish :( I was so happy when I made the decision to train and now I just don't know what I should do. All of this sounds like some confused teenager, but I'm 30! I don't know if I should have posted this in Chit-Chat, but I wanted some advice from those of you who have been there, or are newly starting out.

Am I making a mistake? Am I going to end up penniless? I don't want to do it solely for the money, but obviously I need to be able to contribute to the household income. He also pointed out, if I did build up a client base here, obviously when I move I'd have to start again from scratch.

Another thing he said was, that people will ask me how long I've been in the business and if I'm honest and say 6 months or I'm newly qualified, then nobody would be interested. He said no matter how good a job I might do, there'd always be someone doing it for cheaper and for longer.

Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's lots of things I would like to say in response but I will restrain myself and just say

1) it sounds to me that you have made a great choice in your partner.
2) you have thought this through and chosen a great company to train with.
3) we have all felt insecure at some point in this business
4) have a good search through here to find other threads of a similar vein

Sorry I'm in a hurry to go out but didn't want to read and run.

Now start re-planning your future in nails and enjoy the rest of your weekend :hug:

Hi Hun,

Chin up!! You are obviously passionate and you have the right idea getting the best training! Take all the negative things that are said, all of you passion and hard work and show your dad it CAN work!! I'm sure you'll be fine!! Smile and enjoy building a wonderful career xx

Does you father know much about the nail/beauty industry? I doubt it! I'm sure I am correct in saying that the beauty industry has not been affected by the recession and is booming! I started out in 2010 and have been building my business since then, I am increasing my profits each year and my work fits in perfectly with my family and home life and I love it !!! that is the most important thing to me and i know it will never make me millions but doing something i love every day is much more important to me! Do what makes YOU happy and not worry about what other people think :hug:

I think I have the same dad as you! Lol! Ok I've been there with all this and here's what I think.
First of all keep in mind your dad wants the best for you! I know its not easy believe me!
It wasn't until I got divorced and had such a rubbish time that I promised myself If I ever got out I would follow my dreams! First thing I did was get a dog which I was never allowed when I was young! Now he is my dads best friend and he stays there most of the time.
Then I went to do beauty at college and then when he seen how determined I was he let me use a room in his house to work in.
Anyway it's the best thing I ever did. I got married last year and now I work from my own house and my husband and I are saving for a log cabin for me to work in.
There is one thing I would say there are so many beauticians out there at the moment but people aren't stupid and they will realise you've had proper training.
I would concentrate on what makes you and your partner happy.
Bottom line, would you not always regret it if you didn't do it? It might not work out but you could be run down by a bus tomorrow!
If you work for yourself you can't take your salary into account for a mortgage for 2 years. Would you manage to get a house on your partners salary alone?
Lastly my clients love that I'm "normal" (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing! Lol!) so I really don't think it matters how you look.
You sound so like me! If you have any questions at all ill try and help. Sending you big hugs! X

I too had a similar reaction when I decided to go and do beauty therapy at college instead of doing A-levels. My dad was not happy with the idea, very negative. That was almost 10 years ago. I have worked in salons, as well as had other jobs since then. Last year I left a full time stable job to do mobile nails full time, after doing it for a year alongside my main job. Again, he didn't seem keen on the idea, didn't seem to understand why I would want to give up a 'proper job' to do nails. I don't think he believed that I would ever be busy enough to be successful. Well I have proven him wrong, and in 2 weeks time I will be opening my new nail studio!

Take all of the negativity you are getting and turn it round to prove him wrong! Keep focused and stay strong! I know it can be upsetting, especially if time and time again you are getting negative comments but stick to your guns and ignore it! That's what I did and now 10 years on I am looking forward to opening my own studio, something I dreamed of back then and my dad thought I would never do!

I have to say, parents that don't believe in their children really annoy me! Don't worry about a thing. YOU know how determined you are. YOU know you can succeed so what does it matter if he doesn't? Your partner believes in you!!

Just do your training and be happy. You will be able to build your client base. It will take time but you will do it x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Your father can be the making of you.
You will meet people, throughout your life, who will question your ideas, give the downside of scenarios and make you have doubts.
That's actually necessary.
Stay strong and believe in yourself. We all crave our parents' praise and approval, that's natural, but we don't always get it.
You are intelligent, both intellectually and emotionally. Go, girl, go!

When I started training (at 43!) some people said to me "oh loads of people do that and can't get work". Turns out loads of people do rubbish courses and so aren't good enough to get work. If you train well it's a skill you'll always have and you can work full time or part time.

Your partner is right and it's great that he is supportive of you. You don't know until you try and like everyone has said, you've picked a great industry and a great company to train with.

It's really scary to think about changing what you do or pursuing a dream when others are nay-saying.

I wish I hadn't listened when I was 16 and everyone told me not to go into beauty, because I have spent 15 years in jobs I don't enjoy! It took me the best part of 10 years to get up the guts to retrain and another 7 to actually start feeling confident enough to try and do this. But I'm getting there.

Be strong! You can do it. xx

First may I say, Carly, respect your father and his motive ... he wants you secure and happy. His remark about your appearance not fitting the 'image' was not kind, but in our business it is what is inside that counts and how you see what you are doing to help others to feel good about themselves and their appearance; if that is important to you then you have an empathetic nature and that is a must in what we do.

My father thought I was NUTS when I spent my first 150$ on nail products. He wondered why he had invested in my University education if it had all come down to me doing nails. :lol: But by God he was proud of my success and how I tackled the job ... and I didn't know when I started that I would have lots of clients!! But I never thought I WOULDN'T have lots of clients if I did a great job, provided a good experience for clients and kept my integrity. It's always worked for me. I retired at 50 and have had the life you want for yourself.

My husband has always supported me all the way .. so too the rest of my family who all eventually came into the business. You sound like you have someone who loves you and believes in you and will support your plans for the future; he's a keeper. Most successful nail techs have husbands like that or .. they are single parents :lol: either way, they can focus on their dreams and make them happen.

My advice to you is to focus on your dream and visualize it all the way to success and it will happen with your hard work and determination, believe me it will.

The nail industry (this is for your dad) has grown through every single recession ... GROWN as have other beauty segments. If you hear negativity here on the site then that is because there are more new technicians who are just starting and may not be as focused as you or maybe have not got the oportunity to be focused .. many see nails as a hobby or a nice something to do for pin money. Many make the mistake of starting completely underfunded and then start buying everything cheap and nasty and it all goes downhill from there.

On your CND Complete course, you will get everything to start your business that you need. You will be starting with the best products and the best education foundation in the business ... now you take it from there. Believe in yourself, believe in the tools you are provided with and the mountain of knowledge you will be given ... experience takes time and no one on this earth can rush that process, but all the time you will be getting it, you will be earning.

You have great mentors right here on Salon geek .. use them. We will give you guidance and help when you need it. Best of luck. Listen politely to dad and then do what you want to do with your partners support .. he is the important one in this. :hug:

Thanks for all of the support everyone, I truly needed it! Almost every single thing that has been said I told him and he managed to find an answer for everything! So frustrating! I told him that the beauty industry was one of the very few things that has remained recession proof. I was met with, "there will always be someone cheaper, better than you, who has been doing it for longer".

He always dictated my life when I was still at home, he chose my A level subjects, and as an adult he continues. I know he just wants the best for me, which is what makes it hard. I never know what to listen to or what to trust.

Sometimes someone will just repeat and shout something to me so much, that I start to believe they must be right and begin to ignore my own feelings and instincts.

Between everyone here and my partner, I am feeling a lot better and far more confident in my decision. I can't wait to get going! I know it wont happen overnight, I want to go the best route and do things properly. :hug: xx

Last edited:
Carly
Just remember your dad loves you and wants the best for you. He just doesn't understand where you're coming from and is probably frustrated by it all.

As a parent you want to guide your child the way you think is best, the way you are sure will avoid them getting hurt, you want them to learn from your mistakes and of course as a parent you always know best.

BUT the truth is, that children (no matter what age they/we are, are still your children:D) they have to learn for themselves and that includes researching, listening to others, trying things, building on them, making mistakes and learning from them - that is how we grow and become successful.

I'm late a late fortysomething and my mother (70 something) still tries to tell me what I should do just as I try to tell my 20 year old son what he ought to do. LOL

Get yourself out there, show him exactly what you can do and make him proud.

Silly Billy, I do understand, I know he just wants the best for me. It is just so hard when he is screaming at me, telling me I'm stupid and have no idea what I'm getting into, then in the next breath- telling me to be a journalist! Even more so, tells me I could go to uni. I don't want to be in full time education for a prolonged period of time, at my age, studying something I couldn't care less about, with mounting student loans! It's not said kindly, it is literally screamed at me, with him telling me it's a ridiculous idea and I'm an idiot for even considering it. It just breaks me tbh.

I hope I can do well eventually. I just feel like he'll always consider me a failure, unless I'm bringing in a high income. I wouldn't actually give two hoots about his opinion, except he is extremely vocal and nasty about it. When someone constantly tells you something, it becomes very hard to not believe them. Even if you don't believe them, it is still very hurtful and hard to get away from.

I haven't read the whole thread but I just wanted to say iv seen a few of your nail pictures in the "what nails are you sporting today" thread and they are lovely! I didn't realise you weren't qualified. Good luck with your training and go for your dream!! Xx

I haven't read the whole thread but I just wanted to say iv seen a few of your nail pictures in the "what nails are you sporting today" thread and they are lovely! I didn't realise you weren't qualified. Good luck with your training and go for your dream!! Xx

Aw Holliex, thank you so much! That gives me a lovely little confidence boost.

I'm definitely going for it. You guys are all giving me the push I need! Being told it would be a waste of time and money (thank god he has no clue how much I'm actually paying out!) and that I'd never make an income out of it, pretty much scared the life out of me! xx

Hey :)

I'm currently at the beginning of the CND complete course - day 3 on Tuesday! I've been to uni, got my degree and I decided as soon as I'd finished that I actually wanted to be a nail tech. Thankfully my parents are fine with whatever it is I want to do but I do feel like some people (wider family) who will think I'm 'wasting my intelligence'. But I love nails, I find it really interesting, exciting, I can't think of anything better than to do nails for a living! And honestly, once you're on the course you won't even care what people think. Yes it is daunting starting out but I really do think that if you've got the passion then you will succeed.

The whole people have been doing it for longer and are cheaper thing, who cares? Someone could have been in the industry for years, never updated their training, using inferior products, outdated methods - are they going to be better than someone with massive enthusiasm that is training with the most innovative company in the industry?

Just the other week my boyfriend's nan was telling me there's no money in nails, what's the point etc. Well, she'll see!

I have massive dreams, I want salons worldwide, I want to do session work, I want to be the next Marian Newman :D and who says I won't?

I'm blogging each day of my course on my profile :)

Hey :)

I'm currently at the beginning of the CND complete course - day 3 on Tuesday! I've been to uni, got my degree and I decided as soon as I'd finished that I actually wanted to be a nail tech. Thankfully my parents are fine with whatever it is I want to do but I do feel like some people (wider family) who will think I'm 'wasting my intelligence'. But I love nails, I find it really interesting, exciting, I can't think of anything better than to do nails for a living! And honestly, once you're on the course you won't even care what people think. Yes it is daunting starting out but I really do think that if you've got the passion then you will succeed.

The whole people have been doing it for longer and are cheaper thing, who cares? Someone could have been in the industry for years, never updated their training, using inferior products, outdated methods - are they going to be better than someone with massive enthusiasm that is training with the most innovative company in the industry?

Just the other week my boyfriend's nan was telling me there's no money in nails, what's the point etc. Well, she'll see!

I have massive dreams, I want salons worldwide, I want to do session work, I want to be the next Marian Newman :D and who says I won't?

I'm blogging each day of my course on my profile :)

Why do people assume that intelligence is not needed to be a professional nail technician? It just shows how little they know about it at all.

Let me tell you a little something you may not know ... IT IS ONLY THE INTELLIGENT ONES WHO EVER MAKE IT BIG IN THE INDUSTRY. The others might do a mildly successful business if that is what they want but the ones who make it .. really make it ... are the smart ones who also do great nails. I'd say you are on your way. :hug:

PS just thought I would add that going to Uni is not the only criteria for intelligence.

Oh yes you will need every ounce of your itelligence to be a nail tech, you will need to be proficient in:

Chemistry
Biology
Art
Colour theory
Psychology
Sociology
Counselling
Life coaching
Accounting
Buying
Copywriting <--- you can say journalism if you like ;)
Researching
Academic writing
Networking
Website building
Interior design
Retailing
Window dressing
Promotion
Sales
Customer services
Health and safety
Legislation
Waste disposal

And that's just off the top of my head

Try not to worry too much about your dad my love :hug:

Maybe a snippet from a report will boost your confidence in your chosen career path :))

"Despite the recession, the professional nail industry has continued to grow in the UK and globally, outperforming all other cosmetics categories, thanks to the introduction of gel products and the growth in popularity of nail art.

According to market researcher Kline, the explosive growth in sales of professional nail care products outshined resilient but modest growth rates in other cosmetics categories, with over 25% growth globally in 2012.

The report closely examines the latest products, key trends, and emerging technologies triggering growth on the professional nail care scene. Compared to other beauty treatments, these services remain affordable indulgences, which are driving greater consumer demand.
The report&#8217;s project manager, Agnieszka Saintemarie, comments: &#8220;Contrary to the waning performance of some other professional care segments, the limping economy is fueling industry growth by prompting consumers to enjoy the indulgence in a little affordable luxury"."

I also would like to comment on your Photo Album - If you had not stated that you are NOT qualified - I would believe that you had been in this industry for a number of years. You're polishing skills are to be applauded. ;) xxx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back