Help need advice on Skin Care for new therapist!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trudy35

Reaction score
Hi

I have just recently qualified and would like to either start up as a mobile therapist or be home based and one thing I'm debating on is offering facials. The reason being is the start up costs are expensive and I'm thinking is it really worth it? As I from my past experience I would have all good intentions of having regularly facials and then a couple of months down the line I would jack it in and spend the money on something else.

I have looked into a couple of skin care ranges - Dermalogical, Declor, Matis, but many won't deal with mobile or home based therapists. Collin, will but their costly and want me to take on the retail within 6 months. I've just looked into Eve Taylor but they don't give much training.

Please can anyone HELPPPP me as I'm totally confused :rolleyes: in which range to take on or not to both. So any advice would be great.

Ta
x

Hi

I have just recently qualified and would like to either start up as a mobile therapist or be home based and one thing I'm debating on is offering facials. The reason being is the start up costs are expensive and I'm thinking is it really worth it? As I from my past experience I would have all good intentions of having regularly facials and then a couple of months down the line I would jack it in and spend the money on something else.

I have looked into a couple of skin care ranges - Dermalogical, Declor, Matis, but many won't deal with mobile or home based therapists. Collin, will but their costly and want me to take on the retail within 6 months. I've just looked into Eve Taylor but they don't give much training.

Please can anyone HELPPPP me as I'm totally confused :rolleyes: in which range to take on or not to both. So any advice would be great.

Ta
x
Hi Trudy

There are alot of ranges out there that can you use.
Ask the direct question like do you deal with mobile therapist, is there a minimum order, do i have to take a package etc. Don't forget to ask what support the skin care company offers you.
Also try and get some samples so you can see what the range is like to use.
Try not to write off the idea of taking on some retail stock as this is a handy way of increasing your client loyalty, it is another service (you are the skin expert not the client) and adds to your income too.

Feel free to have a look at us if you would like.
Regards
Jo
Beauty products | Beauty Therapy | Professional Treatments | Beauty Supplies- Moorspa.co.uk

Hi Trudy

Just looking at your thread we are both in the same boat here lol,, i have been looking around for weeks now ive rung around a few company's and sent for samples.

Like you I want to become home based i have been going to collage the last 3 yrs, done Aromatherapy. Reflexology, Reiki. and completed a beauty therapy course last year I have been going mobile for 3 yrs but now that i have done the beauty course i too need a good facial range,

I received samples from priadara today and tried the quinch cleanser which is my skin type at 41 heehe its coz i dont drink enough fluids lol

was,nt sure at first because of the texture, but after applying it and looked at the cotton disc i got quite a shock coz the cleanser that I use from Dove Spa does,nt attract as much of the dirt from your pores like priadara did so its strengths seem pretty good and the start up kit isnt to badly priced either the retail price is alot more but i guess will pay for itself one day.

susan molyneux is another good one i believe id do what ive been doing just ringing around getting samples, because all the top brands dont sell to mobile or home based therapists another fact ive just found out, not fare lol

sorry if ive go on a bit hehehee

hope it has helped a bit , let us know how you get on

hi, had to reply....

im a dermalogica salon, and whilst the set up was exspensive, u also have to charge more to compensate. have you thought about using some brands from ure whole salers that arent so well known and maybe charging half the price that we do, just to start off.
ive found that most of my clients appreciate the technique more than the product.....
but obviously the better product helps with adverse skin conditions...
a good facial massage goes along way in repeat custom, its all about you chik xxxx:green:

Hi Im in a similar situation too. I had some samples through from MoorSpa, which were lovely to use and is simple. Staff were really friendly and informative(you know who you are) and I am seriously thinking of this range.

Big companies like dermalogica I feel must loose alot of custom by not allowing Mobile Therapists to use their products. At my college I did regular facials with Dermalogica and even had my regular! So I dont know where their logic comes in. I wonder if they would be able to explain sometime...............anyone from Dermalogica in?
Teresa

Hi Trudy

There are alot of ranges out there that can you use.
Ask the direct question like do you deal with mobile therapist, is there a minimum order, do i have to take a package etc. Don't forget to ask what support the skin care company offers you.
Also try and get some samples so you can see what the range is like to use.
Try not to write off the idea of taking on some retail stock as this is a handy way of increasing your client loyalty, it is another service (you are the skin expert not the client) and adds to your income too.

Feel free to have a look at us if you would like.
Regards
Jo
Beauty products | Beauty Therapy | Professional Treatments | Beauty Supplies- Moorspa.co.uk

The Eve Taylor range are excellent to take on whether you are mobile or salon based. You have no huge opening order and the support is fantastic. They are launching new products and the are also incorporating new training techniques. On the product knowledge you are given a demonstration and an introduction to the systems of anaylisis which really sets Eve Taylor apart from the rest. Also advanced facial techniques are coming soon as is body treatments iinvolving Chinese cupping therapy, hot stones alternative massage techniques as well as mens skin care treatments. So hang in there and watch this space but in the mean time get cracking on that starter kit and get yourself on the product knowledge girlie!!!:)

Hi I am gooing on an environ course in october a nd really looking forward to it . The training is reasonable and is 3 days.
I started off using the priadara range in ellisons just ordering small amounts. I loved the algae masks and the collagen masks and so did the clients . The bonus was I didn,t need to spend a lot

I believe the reason that many (if not all) of the big name brands don't allow mobile therapists to stock there products is because they can't control the image you present to your clients in other words how do they know the therapist isn't going to turn up at clients house and do a facial on the sofa or bed , would you want your brand associated with that ?

With a salon they can have a look at it first and decide if it fits the image for their brand.

As for the start up costs they are high so that they can be sure a salon is stocked up with all the pro/retail products they need and is commited to the brand.

When I first went mobile I felt the same as you, however I now agree with some brands limiting the products to salons only.

You could try Sothys or Thalgo I think they still supply mobile.

Hi Bombini

I would say you are quite close with your thinking about image, and a lot closer when mentioning retail products as to why some brands don't supply mobile.

We like to encourage Mobile Therapists to take some products to retail on to the client but understand it is not always practical to carry everything with you.

jo

I think thats a good point you made regarding how therapist present themselves and their product,however I feel there are discussions to be had regarding boths mobiles and salon based (some are not very good) anyway, they have their reasons, who am I to query? Like someone mentioned in this thread already it is down to the technique of the therapist and I who heartly agree....rambling on

Latest posts

Back