Help,what to cook for meal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laura16

Reaction score
Basically the boyf is visiting tuesday and he wants dinner cooking, so for I decided that we will have jamie oliver brownies with cream for pudding but what can i do for main course. It has to be something easy or a propper recipe that I can follow to the letter or Ive had it because Im a crap cook

I'm rubbish at cooking but I can make this and my hubby loves it.

Chicken & sweetcorn with boiled rice.

You need:
2 x chicken breasts
Tin creamed corn
1 onion
2-3 Garlic cloves
Soy sauce
Rice(I like a lot)

Crush garlic, add to wok with some oil.
Slice onion and add to mix.
Chop chicken and add.
Add a few splashes of soy sauce.
Mix around the wok until chicken is nearly cooked.
Add creamed corn and cook for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.

Serve on top of boiled rice. I sometimes chuck in chopped courgette too.

I don't add salt to much of my food but if you do you might want to add some while cooking.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd do something really simple if I were you! Pasta is quick and easy, or there's some good ones here Quick main recipes and Cooking Tips - Try One of Our Easy Recipes | goodtoknow

For in future, get hold of a book called Grub on a Grant Grub On A Grant: Amazon.co.uk: Clarke: Books
It teaches you how to cook right from the very basics, it's really useful. I've had a copy for years and I still use it.

Tweezerhappy, that recipe sounds really nice, but what's creamed corn?

Green giant sweetcorn but it's got a kind of goo in the tin too. It's delicious. You need to really look for it in the supermarket. I was stood for about 5 minutes staring at all the different cans of sweetcorn.
Posted via Mobile Device

Green giant sweetcorn but it's got a kind of goo in the tin too. It's delicious. You need to really look for it in the supermarket. I was stood for about 5 minutes staring at all the different cans of sweetcorn.
Posted via Mobile Device

Never seen that before! I'll have a look next time I go shopping. Thanks.

How about steak, mushrooms in garlic butter and home made chips!

Its soo yummy, easy to make and really filling.

tweezerhappy that seems a nice recipe and I will try it 1 day but hes the only person in the whole world that doesnt like rice. I recon that the stake is do able so i may try that unless theres any other good ideas on the website from rouge

What about a nice stew? Simple to do, you can prepare it beforehand and if he really likes it, give him some to take home hehe

Big pan - chuck in potatoes ( not cut too small), turnip ( again not too small), carrots, cabbage, leek - any other veggies you fancy the look of. Let them boil gently.

Get your stewing steak - size wise try to get them about the size of an ice cube, seal them in the frying pan ( basically flash cook them in a hot pan so they go brown on the outside but still pink in the middle), I normally sprinkle on OXO over mine too.

Tip them into your veggie pan and then swish the frying pan with some hot water to get all the meaty flavours out and tip that in too.

Wham a couple of OXO's in the pan with the veggies and leave it to simmer slowly all day ( I make mine the night before - always tastes better the next day!)

You can add a little Woucestershire sauce or brown sauce for a little bit of a kick - makes it more of a Scouse that way.

Serve with crusty bread with real butter on - scrummy :)

What about a nice stew? Simple to do, you can prepare it beforehand and if he really likes it, give him some to take home hehe

Big pan - chuck in potatoes ( not cut too small), turnip ( again not too small), carrots, cabbage, leek - any other veggies you fancy the look of. Let them boil gently.

Get your stewing steak - size wise try to get them about the size of an ice cube, seal them in the frying pan ( basically flash cook them in a hot pan so they go brown on the outside but still pink in the middle), I normally sprinkle on OXO over mine too.

Tip them into your veggie pan and then swish the frying pan with some hot water to get all the meaty flavours out and tip that in too.

Wham a couple of OXO's in the pan with the veggies and leave it to simmer slowly all day ( I make mine the night before - always tastes better the next day!)

You can add a little Woucestershire sauce or brown sauce for a little bit of a kick - makes it more of a Scouse that way.

Serve with crusty bread with real butter on - scrummy :)

That sounds yummy. I'm definitely going to try that.
Posted via Mobile Device

ooo no im not a big stew fan, i make sure I'm not home when my mums cooking that hehe thanks for the idea though

what about spag bol??

get a pound of steak mince from butcher (much better than supermarket stuff IMO)
Jar of dolmio sauce (Ilike the spicy one!)
garlic & oregino & tobasco sauce
onion or onion granuales

put mince in large-ish saucepan, season with salt & pepper, add 1-2 teaspoons of garlic granuales, one teaspoon oregeno, one teaspoon of onion granuales or one chopped onion, brown mince on medium heat, once all brown add jar of dolmio sauce stir and leave for a few mins then turn down to a low heat and cook for about 40mins keep going back to stir.
Add tobasco sauce for a wee kick about 3-4 dashes should do it!
It tastes better if you cook it the day before or a good few hours atleast to rest, then all you have to do is heat it up! and cook spaghetti when your ready to have dinner it only takes 10 mins make sure you add some salt to water and it boiling before you put spag in and stir so it does'nt get stuck together.
Serve with garlic chiabata or garlic doughballs

hth xx

Jamie Oliver does a fab fish pie, its really creamy and cheesy and its dead simple to make.

I do this as a quickie for my family when I am rushed of my feet;

Chicken legs (skin on and bone in)
Schwartz Chicken seasoning(generously sprinkled over the top)
Pop the legs in a roasting tin and pop in a few sprigs of 'on the vine
cherry tomatoes'. They ooze delicious juice :lick:.
Bake at 190 deg. c until cooked (about 40 mins)

Serve with Aunt Bessies oven bake chips and a salad.

My family love it and it is dead easy.

tweezerhappy that seems a nice recipe and I will try it 1 day but hes the only person in the whole world that doesnt like rice. I recon that the stake is do able so i may try that unless theres any other good ideas on the website from rouge

He can join my hubby he hates rice, what is wrong with them???

Goodluck hun, I am sure you will do something amazing & then he will propose:green:

:hug:

It couldn't be easier, but you need to keep your eye on it - beauty is, you could cook it the night before and just re-heat it then add the soft cheese...........

Arboria Rice (Risotto rice)
1 litre of chicken stock (of for veggie use vegetable stock)
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (obviously leave out if veggie and just go with the mushrooms)
small punnet of closed cap mushrooms
small punnet of chestnut mushrooms
1 large white onion
1 small red onion
2 cloves of garlic
Splash of white wine (to de-glaze the pan)
100g soft cheese (i use philly with garlic & herbs mmmmmm)
parmesan to finish

Prepare by cubing the chicken breasts
dicing the onions
crushing the garlic
preparing 1 litre of stock
pouring a small glass of wine for the risotto and a large one for yourself!
lining a large dish with foil with enough overhang to cover contents once placed in

Start by warming a little olive oil in a deep frying pan/shallow saucepan and then gentle cook the chicken (cubed) until tender - remove from pan and put to one side in your dish and wrap with the foil.

Then gently fry the diced onions and crushed garlic until soft (not brown!), once cooked add to the chicken and again keep wrapped in foil so the juices don't all run out

Then you will need to splash your small glass of white wine in the pan to get all the bits off and de-glaze ready for your rice.

Add to the pan your desired amount of arborio rice to the pan and coat in the wine/juices that remain, then once coated add about 1/4 of the stock and stir to cover.

Now you have to keep your eye on it and keep the temperature at a steady medium heat as the rice will now begin to absorb the stock, as it does just continue adding more stock a ladle at a time until either all stock is used, or the rice is cooked al dente (a little bit hard still in the middle, and I mean a little bit hard) - THIS CAN TAKE BETWEEN 20 - 35 MINUTES.

As you get to this stage, the rice will have formed it's own creamy sauce but you can now add the soft cheese,and stir in well along with the onions, chicken and muchrooms which will now cook through as you continue to stir.

Dish up and grate some fresh parmesan over - Serve it with some lovely rustic garlic bread or ciabatta and you'll have him eating out of your hand in no time!

Hope you might use it, or maybe some other geeks think it sounds nice?!

It couldn't be easier, but you need to keep your eye on it - beauty is, you could cook it the night before and just re-heat it then add the soft cheese...........

Arboria Rice (Risotto rice)
1 litre of chicken stock (of for veggie use vegetable stock)
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (obviously leave out if veggie and just go with the mushrooms)
small punnet of closed cap mushrooms
small punnet of chestnut mushrooms
1 large white onion
1 small red onion
2 cloves of garlic
Splash of white wine (to de-glaze the pan)
100g soft cheese (i use philly with garlic & herbs mmmmmm)
parmesan to finish

Prepare by cubing the chicken breasts
dicing the onions
crushing the garlic
preparing 1 litre of stock
pouring a small glass of wine for the risotto and a large one for yourself!
lining a large dish with foil with enough overhang to cover contents once placed in

Start by warming a little olive oil in a deep frying pan/shallow saucepan and then gentle cook the chicken (cubed) until tender - remove from pan and put to one side in your dish and wrap with the foil.

Then gently fry the diced onions and crushed garlic until soft (not brown!), once cooked add to the chicken and again keep wrapped in foil so the juices don't all run out

Then you will need to splash your small glass of white wine in the pan to get all the bits off and de-glaze ready for your rice.

Add to the pan your desired amount of arborio rice to the pan and coat in the wine/juices that remain, then once coated add about 1/4 of the stock and stir to cover.

Now you have to keep your eye on it and keep the temperature at a steady medium heat as the rice will now begin to absorb the stock, as it does just continue adding more stock a ladle at a time until either all stock is used, or the rice is cooked al dente (a little bit hard still in the middle, and I mean a little bit hard) - THIS CAN TAKE BETWEEN 20 - 35 MINUTES.

As you get to this stage, the rice will have formed it's own creamy sauce but you can now add the soft cheese,and stir in well along with the onions, chicken and muchrooms which will now cook through as you continue to stir.

Dish up and grate some fresh parmesan over - Serve it with some lovely rustic garlic bread or ciabatta and you'll have him eating out of your hand in no time!

Hope you might use it, or maybe some other geeks think it sounds nice?!

oooo this sounds lovely I think this may be the one to attempt, I dont think risotto rice counts as rice.

He can join my hubby he hates rice, what is wrong with them???

Goodluck hun, I am sure you will do something amazing & then he will propose:green: dont rush me bit soon for that lol

:hug:

I'm liking this thread its given me loads of ideas for new things to eat there will be lots of geeks with different dinner experiments this week :)

Ha Ha I do get a bit carried away xx

How about some really meaty sausages, (not cheapy ones, go for Sainsburys Taste the Difference or something like that), mash, peas (or whatever veg he eats) and onion gravy?
You can't go wrong, ALL men like sausages.

Have a lovely evening anyway x

I gave him the choice of risotto, stir fry or lasagne and he picked stir fry. Hes never had it before but I'm happy with that even I can't mess that up. I've wrote all the other ideas down though for next time I have to cook

Thanks everyone x

Latest posts

Back