Heroin Addict

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not wise as I could have something stolen, or I could put the client in a difficult position.

I'm going to be honest here. I would say that I do it because I have a naive trust in people.

Maybe we're getting a little off-track from the thread, though.

At least you're honest. It could be stolen, mmm now we're getting there. I take it no one has ever stolen from you. If someone did, would you continue to trust people???

You do all seem to digress from the topic in hand a lot ;)

Surely with every treatment you carry out, your client enters into a contract with you, and if they are 'out of it' i.e. under the influence of drink, drugs, whatever! then that would nullify the contract. Also being under the influence of any substance would affect your Insurance cover.
I think this is pretty straightforward and don't see that discussing the stereotypical drug user serves any purpose here at all.

In the circumstances the OP describes, then I would not have carried out the treatment. Easier said than done I know, but we need to be professional and these awkward situations do crop up occasionally and we need to be firm and deal with them.

I would be happy to treat anyone as long as they were able to function properly mentally as well as physically and like all medical professionals take extra care when dealing with them.

Do not judge a person until you know all the circumstances surrounding them. (Book by its cover and all that.)

As my post said as long as they were of sound mind and not (out of it) as people have stated I would yes treat the person as long as my insurance was ok with it, that is a no brainier!

There are many people who have treatments and do not disclose minor details to beauty professionals on a day to day basis, would you not treat them?

Also some medical conditions do have similar symptoms like being out of it similar to drink and drug users may be.[/QUOTE]

I personally work exercising ultimate precaution, if a medical condition is disclosed I act accordingly, also if someone doesn't but behaves erratically I would likely not treat.
There have been several occasions that I can think of and I treat clients on an individual basis and take into account the treatment requested, known effects of conditions or medications.
Here is a short list below of some individual cases:

Case 1:
Epileptic also suffering Alopecia Areata treated with dental/aesthetic nurse present. Medical tattoo procedure brows.
Case 2:
Elderly client with Parkinson's disease treated with dental/aesthetic nurse present. Cosmetic tattoo procedure brows.
Case 3:
Refused treatment, client not disclosed steroid medication, had to stop due to excessive bleeding during treatment and when questioned client admitted meds.
Case 4:
Refused treatment, client appeared confused during initial consultation.
Case 5:
Postponed treatment,client admitted to excessive alcohol consumption within 24 hrs of Dermaroller treatment
Case 6:
Medical referral chemotherapy patient successfully treated for medical tattoo procedure brows
Case 7:
Refused treatment for chemical peels due to regular sunbed usage
Case 8:
Requested medical referral for client on prescribed medication, including benzodiazepam.
Case 9: requested medical referral for treatment brows client disclosed bi polar disorder at consultation, medical referral required for prescribed medication and possible effects of treatment.

I have requested medical referral on many occasions when in doubt and on occasion it is refused, I also check with my insurance provider always regarding validity of cover for certain conditions. I worked from a medical clinic in the UK alongside other professionals including surgeons. All staff within the clinic were fully emergency first aid trained including reception, all treatment providers trained in anaphylaxis and emergency drug administration. Still if in doubt I would not treat.
I do not pass judgement on anyone's life choices and have treated several individuals who would perhaps on paper be at high risk nor do I pass judgement on any medical condition but absolutely consider if they would be safe and suitable for said treatment. If someone disclosed that they were a drug user and in addition were behaving out of it, then no I would not treat on an individual basis and for the treatment of microdermabrasion, using heroin will impact upon immune system, healing and it has an undesirable effect on the skin often it will behave adversely and will be more sensitive, not a discrimination but a scientific fact.

This is how I personally work.
Victoria x

Last edited:
You do all seem to digress from the topic in hand a lot ;)

Surely with every treatment you carry out, your client enters into a contract with you, and if they are 'out of it' i.e. under the influence of drink, drugs, whatever! then that would nullify the contract. Also being under the influence of any substance would affect your Insurance cover.
I think this is pretty straightforward and don't see that discussing the stereotypical drug user serves any purpose here at all.

In the circumstances the OP describes, then I would not have carried out the treatment. Easier said than done I know, but we need to be professional and these awkward situations do crop up occasionally and we need to be firm and deal with them.
A voice of reason :) x

You could have plenty of clients that come to you with HIV,drug users,murderers,rapists,pedophiles and because they don't disclose this info you will never know because they haven't disclosed the info.

Now this man didn't show any aggression etc he clearly is functioning because he payed for a treatment and re booked.He was honest with you.Now it's your decision.If it were me I would still treat him.

Just to say do your client record cards have sufficient questions on them so clients can disclose this kind of info because if they did you could have saved a lot of embarrassment for this poor man to now potentally have to ring him and not do his next treatment because of the info he has disclosed.

All this drug talk and opinions is just wrong.Never judge a book by its cover.Everyone has a story to tell or a past or present.Who ate we to judge anyone or assume that people with drug issues live there a life a certain way.

I have first hand experience on the drug subjects family friends etc and I can assure you its not all black and white.

Peace out people xx

Last edited:
You could have plenty of clients that come to you with HIV,drug users,murderers,rapists,pedophiles and because they don't disclose this info you will never know because they haven't disclosed the info.

Now this man didn't show any aggression etc he clearly is functioning because he payed for a treatment and re booked.He was honest with you.Now it's your decision.If it were me I would still treat him.

Just to say do your client record cards have sufficient questions on them so clients can disclose this kind of info because if they did you could have saved a lot of embarrassment for this poor man to now potentally have to ring him and not do his next treatment because of the info he has disclosed.

All this drug talk and opinions is just wrong.Never judge a book by its cover.Everyone has a story to tell or a past or present.Who ate we to judge anyone or assume that people with drug issues live there a life a certain way.

I have first hand experience on the drug subjects family friends etc and I can assure you its not all black and white.

Peace out people xx
Just to clarify those of us who would not carry out the treatment are not saying it is because he is a drug addict but because he appeared to be under the influence or 'out of it' which is completely different.

Oh ok well yes that's different.I can understand that if he was not in controll of his own body then that would be an issue and for other clients that may be in the facinity

Peace out people xx

Absolutely agree re. client card. However carrying out a treatment depends on the treatment requested, potential risks to client and asides from the fact that the client behaved out of it, as a therapist you are going to feel pretty crap if you do it because you don't want to discriminate and client comes back to you with an infection such as impetigo because his immune system is impaired due to his condition, he can sue you! its your job to know if he is suitable for treatment not his, whether a condition is self inflicted or not i agree is 100 percent irrelevant but I wont treat my own mum as she has an auto immune disorder, thats not discriminatory, its for her own safety! It's a question of validity and safety of treatment not about judgement and if this information has now been disclosed at whatever point that is then you have to make a professional decision based on that knowledge. microdermabrasion is a slightly invasive treatment and does carry risks.

I totally get that.Of course you have to make professional decisions I do it all the time but if the record card stated the right info maybe the op could have explained the potential risks and then offered a facial or something less invasive.

I must say if a client came in off there face I would not treat them and have turned clients away in the past.

Just for the record i would treat him if no contra-indications.

Great that he's taking care and pride in his body. Please God he gets help.

On a practical level, I would put him in the same category as if someone who turned up drunk. I wouldn't wax them so you need to decide whether he's safe to treat in that will he be aware of what's being done and will he for example fall off the bed or will you be able to wake him up.

You never know who's HIV/AID's so as will all treatments, work clean and you'll be fine.

I dont want to get involved with the morality of the debate but we were trained that anyone under the influence of drink or illegal drugs are contra indicated. I think if you look at your insurance you would not have been covered.
x

Wow I didn't expect this many varied comments / suggestions.
We have rang Crystal Clear and are waiting for their advise regarding the client having microdermabrasion. He did fill out a client record card and no where on them does it ask anything about medication (unless response to a contra indication) or blood disorders. He said he was a heroin addict half way through the treatment.
As I originally put he wasn't threatening or made me feel at risk. The comment about HIV and HEP was a comment made by my BF which I know was over the top and I'm sure anyones other halfs would have reacted the same.
I will wait to see what Crystal Clear advise and take it from there. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow I didn't expect this many varied comments / suggestions.
We have rang Crystal Clear and are waiting for their advise regarding the client having microdermabrasion. He did fill out a client record card and no where on them does it ask anything about medication (unless response to a contra indication) or blood disorders. He said he was a heroin addict half way through the treatment.
As I originally put he wasn't threatening or made me feel at risk. The comment about HIV and HEP was a comment made by my BF which I know was over the top and I'm sure anyones other halfs would have reacted the same.
I will wait to see what Crystal Clear advise and take it from there. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

I suggest that you record cards have a section that says are you on any medication for any reasons as it is very important to know as you have now found out because if it did say that he may have told you before hand also a section do you drink excessively or take drugs mine say all this.....just a suggestion :biggrin:.

Some peoples reaction may be what your bf was but that is just lack of knowledge on the subject that's all.Your client may not be injecting he may just smoke it.I know of a heroin addict who does not inject only smokes and she's been an addict for 10 years.x

My godmother was a High court judge and a high functioning alcoholic.... She drank near Gin most of the day and nobody would of known she was under the influence... That is a true alcoholic!
It seems to me this thread is based on judgemental people's first impressions... Dangerous territory

Really "true alcoholic"? Well my father was a chief superintendent and at 45, he lost his job but got a gold plated pension and a wife with a good job but was still peeved. Anyway from then on he decided to get pissed from morning til night and be completely embrassing for his children and turning up places pissed where people like the kind beautician would take pity on a once handsome and respected man. Anyway having put a family through prison, rehab, sectioned, permanent brain damage, liver damage, numerous times in intensive care he died seven years on, incontinent, yellow skinny with a swallon stomach. This was of huge relief to his family , (yes I did love him but my childhood was ruined). You are not helping self pitying addicts and there is no such thing as altruism. He looked like a old jakey towards the end not someone who went to a private school and has a sucessful family obviously he was the one being robbed by the dodgy company he was keeping too. Do you think amy winehouse was robbing old grannies? Clearly lots of addicts are solvent but mad..You should not feel obliged to do them. That is a separate matter to HIV which having met a few you would be none the wiser, we just have to take precautions with everyone like many other jobs do nurses, dr cleaners etc.. I would not entertain an addict, most of them love wallowing in self pity and giving them your time won't help them. Its not eastenders or neighbours. .
Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Really "true alcoholic"? Well my father was a chief superintendent and at 45, he lost his job but got a gold plated pension and a wife with a good job but was still peeved. Anyway from then on he decided to get pissed from morning til night and be completely embrassing for his children and turning up places pissed where people like the kind beautician would take pity on a once handsome and respected man. Anyway having put a family through prison, rehab, sectioned, permanent brain damage, liver damage, numerous times in intensive care he died seven years on, incontinent, yellow skinny with a swallon stomach. This was of huge relief to his family , (yes I did love him but my childhood was ruined). You are not helping self pitying addicts and there is no such thing as altruism. He looked like a old jakey towards the end not someone who went to a private school and has a sucessful family obviously he was the one being robbed by the dodgy company he was keeping too. Do you think amy winehouse was robbing old grannies? Clearly lots of addicts are solvent but mad..You should not feel obliged to do them. That is a separate matter to HIV which having met a few you would be none the wiser, we just have to take precautions with everyone like many other jobs do nurses, dr cleaners etc.. I would not entertain an addict, most of them love wallowing in self pity and giving them your time won't help them. Its not eastenders or neighbours. .

Nice to see an unbiased view with no sweeping generalisations from you, as always ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Nice to see an unbiased view with no sweeping generalisations from you, as always ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

You ask any family of a chronic alcoholic. They will tell you its hell. Incidentally I was only a child during this. Most families would tell you they would happily chop of their hands to get them to stop drinking. I hope you never have to experience such helplessness over someone elses addiction. It will be a shock, this is why I give them a wide birth I don't want to know.

Last edited:
You ask any family of a chronic alcoholic. They will tell you its hell.

Sheer hell!
Yip and it happens to the people you wouldn't expect it too, whole other thread..I do believe in hereditary addictive behaviour/personalities and an illness,

No one would touch a drink if they thought they'd end up like their loved one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back