Hi Guys...all nails off in 3 days...do i re-do for free ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xx-Angel-xx

Reaction score
Hi all,

On Friday i had a lady come in for a fullset of gel nails.. I did everything right preped the nail like normal. Anyway to cut the story short she came in today with no nails on at all and said that the nails just fell off!.. i couldnt believe it as non of my other clients have come back with all of them off completly.. I asked to look at her nails and you could clearly see that she had dragged them all off with the damage of the nails. She demaned that she wanted a fullset putting back on for FREE.. I was so shocked with her attitdude so all i said is to come back in tomorrow.

Im really stuck.. do i charge her the full £15 or do i do them for free?

thanks for reading guys x

What training have you had and what products do you use as it does not say in your profile

VTCT level 2 nail tech And the products that i use is Young Nails

Firstly if you are qualified hun you should be charging more than what you do,
your prices will attract clients that just want everything for nothing,

i would give her nails a wipe over with a nail plate dehydrator and show her that you can see the damage that has been caused by forcing the nails off and due to this if she wants a replacement set the cost will be £15,
and explain that nails do not just fall off anyone, they are either forced off or broken off by catching them on something,
you have to stand your ground and show the client that you do know what you are talking about and that your training has taught you how to recognise when a nail has been forced off hth

Only you know what standard of work you produce....If you know that you did everything as you should...it isn't a common problem with your nails....and there is proof of trauma on her nails then...NO, i wouldn not re-do for nothing.

Nails don't come with a guarantee, they cant as we cant guarantee what client do with them once they leave us.

Its your call.

This is one of the problems we all occasionally come across in our industry.

I am sure every Nail Tech has experienced at least one customer who claims they all just 'fell off'

Today I took a call from a salon customer who was demanding to speak to the owner.
She had her nails done in my salon just over 2 weeks ago. Complains to me that she was in there for 2 hours and thought it was a long time... etc
To top that, she says that nearly all the nails started breaking within the first week.

I explain to her that it was 2 hours because she had a nigtmare NSS set of acrylics to remove which always takes at least an hour just to get those off. Then another hour to re-do her nails.

Unfortunately, I don't work in the salon and I have no idea who the client is, but here is what I agreed with her.

I agreed that she can have them re-done free of charge tomorrow. My reason for this is because one of my girls has a gap anyway.
In that time I can have a member of staff taking no money and a complaining unhappy customer, or I can have a member of staff still taking no money and a happy client who is getting her nails re-done free, whom I also hope will continue to book appointments in our salon.

Hopefully it works out being the latter. Either way, we have lost nothing.

Gina x

Hiya Gina...I somewhat agree with you...

but costing nothing....stock ??

Also what about the nail tech who did them....?? are you admitting liability by re-doing them for free...?

I am not questioning your actions just picking your brain...:lol:

Thanks for your replys ladies

I will wipe over with a nail plate dehydrator just like you said louise.. And let her know that i will not do them for free and i will charge my full price!. I only qualifyed a few weeks ago and i didnt want to go straight into chargeing over £15 just yet.

Thanks again ladies xx

Thanks for your replys ladies

I will wipe over with a nail plate dehydrator just like you said louise.. And let her know that i will not do them for free and i will charge my full price!. I only qualifyed a few weeks ago and i didnt want to go straight into chargeing over £15 just yet.

Thanks again ladies xx
That's fine hun but as soon as you are confident with your nail skills get them prices put up and you will gain much better clients,
good luck for tomorrow, i will be thinking about you :hug:

I had a client ring me last night saying that one of her nails had jus about lifted completely off. She came in to see me and I asked her if she had banged it in way. "No, havent banged it." After taking off the nail I showed her the layers of nail that had come away and her nail plate had split along the stress point. She then said "come to think of it I did get it caught last week"! I guess they will try anything once!!!!

Hi all,

On Friday i had a lady come in for a fullset of gel nails.. I did everything right preped the nail like normal. Anyway to cut the story short she came in today with no nails on at all and said that the nails just fell off!.. i couldnt believe it as non of my other clients have come back with all of them off completly.. I asked to look at her nails and you could clearly see that she had dragged them all off with the damage of the nails. She demaned that she wanted a fullset putting back on for FREE.. I was so shocked with her attitdude so all i said is to come back in tomorrow.

Im really stuck.. do i charge her the full £15 or do i do them for free?

thanks for reading guys x

I had a few clients like that... kept me awake at night...:grr: and some I did for free, though it was clear they destroyed it themselves, I was affraid to lose clients and that they will spread the word around that I'm mean and my work is lousy. But in a long run, those just make you miserable and you end up hating every penny they give you. So try to talk some sense with them calmly, if they understand, ok, and if they never come back, so what. So I learned my lesson. Now I have a 2 week guarantee for the nails I do, but I surely explain them how and how quickly I can see if they have been pulled out or picked, or if it's really my mistake and they fell off (and they don't, like your's, I'm sure :hug:).

Read this, it helped me :)
http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/22251-great-nail-abduction.html

Last edited:
we had the same problem last week a lady phoned up and complained about some nails done by another nail tec at our shop and said they just fell off overnight (because they do fall off when your asleep and you wake up with nails on your pillow!!) so my boss did them for free when she sat infront of her nibbling at the remaining ones while she was having a new set put on! sometimes i really shouldnt work with the public as i really want to yell at them for getting there own way! :irked: x

I have this problem with gel, luckly they're on my own fingers, i do all my prep properly and yet the day after they are begining to lift off, i'm not sure if it's my nail plate to oily or the fact i take beta blockers that afect mine

I had this same problem, all the nails came off 3 days later. I replaced all for free although she had banged them off a shopping trolley and then caught in the boot of her car (turned out after questioning). I am pleased to say she turned out to be one of my regulars getting her nails done every 14 to 21 days as the past 5 years! My advice would be to consider your options. By not replacing you could loose a valuable client that would be loyal to you because of your after service. But of course could also be a chancer although I cant see someone sitting ripping their nails off to get a free set especially as your prices are so low. Good luck in your decisions. :)

I would do them again for FREE... Especially (i think this is what you said) that you have only been qualified a few weeks. Like 'mannipatch' said, you may gain her as a long term client and end up better off. What is $15 when you can build your clientel base and get a good reputation... And, if you say no to her, that she must pay, she will spread the bad news like wildfire through all her friends..etc etc.. That's how ppl end up with bad reputations, you don't want that sort of attention on your business... I wouldn't... :)

It's funny, if a client tries to dictate to me what to do I get very stubborn (it's the Taurean in me!!) and I often won't give way. This one is a tough one and it really is about how confident you feel in showing her the trauma and telling her it's her fault! Sometimes nails take a while to get used to and if it were me I would probably replace for free "as a gesture of goodwill" - but after that it's down to her to look after them and tell her NO MORE FREEBIES!

If this happens again and you know it's not your fault just take one look and say in horror "my goodness what on earth have you done to them?" They then tell you the truth - works every time because they know they can't pull the wool over your eyes.

Good luck :hug:

If you could clearly see where she pulled them off, don't you dare do them for free. People will take advantage of you as much as you allow- newly qualified or not, you are a certified nail tech, and you know that her nails didn't just fall off like petals from a flower!

I am not a tech, just a nail obsessed consumer-- but I once overheard the owner of the salon where I go dealing with a difficult customer. This person had clearly pried off a few of her nails, plus she has waited about 6 weeks for a fill. The owner was informing her that she would have to charge her extra, as a 6 week fill was much more work than a 2 or 3, plus she had to completely redo a few nails. This customer said to her friend, who is a longtime (10+ years) customer, also getting her nails done "wow, they really nickel and dime you here, don't they?". Her friend replied "No, look at the sign, it says it is extra if you wait too long. If I am foolish enough to pry off my nails she would not only charge me, she'd yell at me too! I know better."

It's funny, if a client tries to dictate to me what to do I get very stubborn (it's the Taurean in me!!) and I often won't give way. This one is a tough one and it really is about how confident you feel in showing her the trauma and telling her it's her fault! Sometimes nails take a while to get used to and if it were me I would probably replace for free "as a gesture of goodwill" - but after that it's down to her to look after them and tell her NO MORE FREEBIES!

If this happens again and you know it's not your fault just take one look and say in horror "my goodness what on earth have you done to them?" They then tell you the truth - works every time because they know they can't pull the wool over your eyes.

good luck :hug:

I think the above are wise words. As long as you confidently explain that the trauma to her nail plate is due to her removing them herself and tell her in no uncertain terms that you will do them for free on this occasion; as a 'goodwill gesture' then maybe you'll retain this customer. Hopefully, she'll also tell her friends about what a good service she received from you.
Its your call.
Claire x

Its a tough one, especially when your starting out.
I automatically jump on the defensive and hate to be told I didn't do something right, once someones got on my wrong side I'll remember it forever, like Sassy that'll be my star sign (cancer)

I would probably not want to see her again (because I'm a chicken!)

Let us know how you get on xxx

OMG! £15! you're practically giving them away as it is. And no way should you be offering to redo them for free. Explain why and let her go somewher else if she wants you may lose her business but she'e practically trying to rob you anyways.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back