HIV/blood-born infection risks to hairdressers, how often do you glove up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afrah

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just wondered if there are hairdressers have concerns about coming into HIV or other Blood born infections in the course of doing normal hairdressing work.

As we all know there are risks and we should do our best to minimise them but I came across this video

https://www.facebook.com/groups/twistandcurves/permalink/10157471002269338/

by a stylist in America that raised her concerns.

Just wondering what others think.

Hi All,

I just wondered if there are hairdressers have concerns about coming into HIV or other Blood born infections in the course of doing normal hairdressing work.

As we all know there are risks and we should do our best to minimise them but I came across this video

https://www.facebook.com/groups/twistandcurves/permalink/10157471002269338/

by a stylist in America that raised her concerns.

Just wondering what others think.
I think she is being extra!

The chances of getting HIV from cut to cut is so low... The chances of having a cut on your hand and the clients having a cut on their scalp, and them having hiv... And the cuts being deeps enough for enough blood to exchange..

I can't see it happening.

Yes I guess that set of circumstances would all have to match up for the cross contamination to occur and & it would be a low risk but tbh it did make me think for a second that albeit a low risk still a risk.

Very low risk to be honest. Never heard of it happening before x

This is a slightly insensitive topic which is really quite bizarre. 1. HIV dies as soon as it is out of the system and can only be transmitted from blood to blood contact. So if you was to touch blood from a cut on their head, it would have of already have died in the open air.

2. If someone has noticeable cuts on their scalp, you would either use gloves or advise against any type of hair service until it is healed?

3. There are many people living with HIV who are undetectable and cannot give it to other people because of their undetectable blood viral load!!!

4. If you was ever paranoid about contracting HIV you should go to the sexual health clinic within 48 hours to ask for the drug PREP which can prevent the spread of HIV before it gets into your blood system.

Latest posts

Back