Desperate for advice-Client letter over "greenie"-Do not know how to proceed-

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessicles

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the length of this post, I know many will skip over it because of it, but I really need some guidance. I don't know how to respond to this client's extreme reaction.

I'll start by explaining the situation. A regular client came in for her 2 week fill appt and had 2 bacterial infections. Both enhancements had tip separation, hence the bacterial infections. She admitted to wearing gloves most of one day while cleaning, trapping moisture from the hands. One was very mild, about the size of a pinhead, one moderate, covering approx 1/3 of the nail plate (she keeps her nails very short). As soon as the polish was removed, I saw her tense and become very concerned. As I started to explain the situation, attempting to calm her reaction, she got very agitated. I could tell she was quite upset. She is a nurse, and I explained things in as scientific a manner as I could. She remained very uptight through the entire appt, insisting on leaving them bare. I tried to tell her that the infection dies when exposed to air and only the stain remains, but she kept saying "it's fungus" over and over. "It looks like a fungal infection". So, of course, I kept trying to distinguish the two. I remember saying and looking her in the eye "You're going to have to trust me here, I know what I'm talking about." I am sure this is what she interpreted as confrontational, but I was only trying my best to reassure her. Well, she left on a good note (I thought). She seemed more calm and said she was "over it" when I asked if she was ok with the situation. She was happy with the fact that we just polished the 2 nails a very light color, and I even gave her the polish to take home so that she could remove it every few days to check on the "infection". Today I received a whole packet in the mail. It included many MANY pages of nail information printed off dermnet and webmd about fungal infections and bacterial infections, then a list of many common nail ailments of which had nothing to do with the situation. On the top she wrote "some fun FYI stuff". Here is her letter word for word:

"Dear Jess,

As I was cleaning out my garage I was getting a bit upset about our last nail appointment.
I hope you are not anguished about the two nails with fungus. I am not, as I too have seen many infections before; this is minor but perplexing in terms of what went wrong suddenly. I am amazed at how tenuous my skin is. Anyway, I just wanted you to know they are fine and thanks for honoring my wishes to observe the nails without acrylic; I know it upset you.

It wasn't that I did not think you knew what you were talking about but I am a nurse and we are trained to observe wounds and infections to addess their progress. I don't think we were communicating in the same context but I am not the argumentative type; I really like to stay away from technical things when I am there like microbiology. I was really focused on your continual persistence about reapplying the acrylic and wondered what that was all about; I certainly was not blaming and merely wanted to make sure the "green" (whether it was fungal or bacterial) did not spread (as pseudomonas can) to the finger itself. I had fungal problems before with artificial nails that lasted forever (not green though). I have had MANY microbiology courses;major in biology...

I joked about the green being mold but mold can be green or black but will not be under a nail. Mold is a fungus though-a subtype (not all fungus' are mold though e.g. mushrooms). Pseudomonas is rare in a nail actually (gram negative bacteria; very contagious generally even airborne) thus my concern and it can generate its own energy (can spread). Skin and nails are ALIVE as well. Both contain cells and tissue nourished by a blood supply-many slough off daily (die); even the nail plate is alive(but does not slough). The pink color of the nail plate gives us the hint that there is a rich supply of oxygenated blood underneath. Maybe we were both thinking in a different context. I am more on the cellular level and you were looking at it in general terms. It is like hair-it is also thought of as "dead" but is nourished by a rish blood supply and cells as well.

So you see the whole conversation confused me. It all depends how you look at it; I was thinking. Overall it really is not woth argument; I noticed your voice got louder and tone was argumentative/stance & eye contact confrontational. I wasn't expecting that response from you; took me by surprise. I respect your experience and expertise and I guess I was a bit shocked not to receive the same consideration. I do think we reached a compromise with the polish but just so you know I was ready to get up and walk out never to return. I do enjoy our chats and you are a wonderful nail technician and I consider you a friend really so I think it is important to give you feedback on this. I am going out of town shortly and will see you in a couple weeks. Have a good mid-November and chill! Some things are not worth it in the end-pick your wars, as they say. Get on that motorcycle and have some fun!

*(removed client name)*"

So...other than not knowing the proper use of a semicolon, what else has she got wrong? I don't know microbiology of course, but I do know nails. And there was NO sign of a fungal infection. In fact, most of the information she printed out for me proved that it was a "bacterial infection" not a fungal infection. How the hell am I to respond to this? I feel thoroughly demeaned and embarrassed and I have NEVER been made to feel this way by a client. And I'm not sure why she sent all this if she is not upset enough to no longer remain a client of mine. HELP!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now anyone please correct me if I am wrong. but in my expierence and education a mold, is 1, not contagious, and 2: should be resealed in acrylic to prevent if from getting worse? I've never been told different.

"Skin and nails are ALIVE as well. Both contain cells and tissue nourished by a blood supply-many slough off daily (die); even the nail plate is alive(but does not slough). The pink color of the nail plate gives us the hint that there is a rich supply of oxygenated blood underneath. Maybe we were both thinking in a different context. I am more on the cellular level and you were looking at it in general terms. It is like hair-it is also thought of as "dead" but is nourished by a rish blood supply and cells as well."

The nail plate itself is not alive. If it were "nourished" by blood, we'd bleed when we trimmed our nails and hair. our matrixes and roots of our hair yes, but the actual keratin? no. the lady is trying to bluff you with her "knowledge".
People assume, because we're "just" nail techs that we're stupid. Um, no. we actually deal in microbiology, chemistry, dabble in medicine (even though we can't practice it lol). I think she needs to recheck her fyi.

"I joked about the green being mold but mold can be green or black but will not be under a nail. "
Of course the mold is not under the nail, its on the surface and if caught early enough can be buffed off. It will grow off and be harmless.

I think maybe the way you replyed to her could have been confused as confrontaional, but also i think this lady was letting her education go to her head. I am also trained as a medical assistant (CMA) the equvalent of a nurse;'s assistant, and I see this attitude alot. If your not a Nurse your not anything and not worth to be spit on if you're on fire.
Unfortunatly this attitude crosses into other fields of life as well, and has now crossed into yours.

If you feel this lady has been a good client to you in the past and this is your first altercation with her, and you want her to continue to be your client, I would just throw the letter away and while it from your mind. Some people are better off to just let them believe what they want to believe and that it, just smile and perform your service.
If you feel that this lady will be a bother to you and you'll dread her service everytime you book her, then i suggest answering her back, via telephone or letter and letting her know that Although you love her as a client, if she feels that you are not up to her standards, perhaps she'd be better off with a different nail tech.

You may worry about her telling people how you treated her and blah blah, but your work and your good clients will speak for themselves. Thank goodness in this field, one bad client will not ruin you. I'm so sorry you have to deal with her arrogance and rudeness to you. I don't really know if i answered your question but i hope that i've helped in some way.

edit: I was trying to google more stuff to help you and i found this short recommendation by Tammy Taylor. It seems to go along with everything that I've always been told. hope that helps. http://www.tammytaylornails.com/Articles/Prescriptions/fungus_mold_bacteria_1.htm

Last edited:
I really appreciate you taking the time to read all that and reply, even look things up. I know she is wrong about some things, I just don't know how to get her to see it. She has been a good client up until now, and this whole thing has really confused me. In over 6 years as a tech I've never felt so belittled though! I don't recall a client ever making me cry, and she has. And she wasn't even there! That's pretty bad. I think a reply letter is order, I just don't know what to say in it! I am very sorry she perceived me as confrontational...I certainly did not intend that. And I would like her to remain a client, I just don't know how I can move on from this kind of thing! I am dreading her next appt, which is about a week away.

well. honestly, I wouldn't bring it up unless she did. I totally understand you wanting to educate the client, and yes i agree, she is wrong, but if you fight with her or press her to see your side, you risk losing a good paying client. I wouldn't reply to it, Maybe even say you didn't get the package. If she brings it up again, just tell her you spoke with your educator about it and that there is really nothing to worry about. continue your service and try to change the subject. If she continues on, just nod your head in agreement and ignore her.
I have a client like this that i am dreading tomorrow. I know i'm a good tech, but everytime she comes in she's like "oh i'm sure their going to break." " i can't ever find a good tech". blah blah blah. pretty much she's a spoil *itch. and she acts the same with my friend who is her hair stylist. I just agree and say things like "well if you need a repair just call" or Oh yeah well we'll hope for the best for your nails". If you honestly want to keep her, I'd try to let it go. If she starts it up, send her else where. You don't get paid enough to put up with rude people.

I would say that you aren't going to change her mind. It is made up!! She showed that to you that by sending you that information. So you need to decide how important it is to prove to her you are right? And you have to decide how important it is to you to keep her as a client, as mentioned in a previous post.

It can be a fine line, at times, in trying to calm a client down and convince them that what is going on with their nail isn't serious or isn't what they think it is. You may have been overzealous in trying to calm her down.

One thing I do is I pull out my books and show them articles, information, pics of whatever I am discussing with them. This validates to them that what I am telling them is accurate.

Sorry this happened to you. I'm sure it was very upsetting to you. Take the experience and learn from it what you can and how maybe next time you can handle the situation either differently or better. That is why these situations happen.......for us to learn from them.

Wishing you the best!! :hug:

Im not sure whether this would be deemed as the right thing to do but I know exactly what I would do...I would send the package back and write her a 'polite but to the point' letter thanking her for the package but as you have extensive training and experience you will not be needing it as you will only study reliable information from reliable sources, where you know the information is wholly factual and in no way misleading or incorrect....I would then go on to correct the mis-information in her letter...I would apologise for her feeling that you were being confrontational with her as that was not your intention...remind her that you value her as a customer and friend and finish off by saying that you hope this has reassured her concerns and you will look forward to seeing her at her next appointment. (or something like that!)

If I remember correctly from my time working within a hospital nurses are not allowed to wear nail varnish whilst on duty let alone acrylic enhancements. Secondly if she does not the difference between these two basic infections (fungal and bacterial) then I certainly would not want her nursing me!! Sounds to me like she is doing a lot of bluffing and she probably printed the information of the internet more for her benefit than yours because it doesn't sound to me like she knows what she's talking about!!! As for a reply Jessicles I agree with uniq12u, is she really going to listen anyway??

That's a long, complicated letter. I wonder how many hours she wasted looking up all that info and writing the letter. Personally I wouldn't bother replying, if she is the sort of person to put that much time and effort into trying to prove her point, then I really don't think she will ever change her mind. She already knows you are a qualified tech and you know what you are talking about yet she didn't take your advice. In my opinion some people just have too much time on their hands :rolleyes:

I have to say (as a fellow nurse), she sounds like a raving fruit cake! Wouldn't want her nursing me either! I would ignore and move on X

First I'm so sorry you find yourself in a situation like this.

I have read it a few times, trying to figure out what I would do, and it's not easy.

I would tell her at the next app, thank you for the letter and that the info on there aswell as your knowlegde and education you are still completely sure that it's a bacterial infection, and therefore you did what you were educated to do.
Then say I'm sorry if you took me the wrong way regarding me being confrontational, but I felt at the time you were very agitated(sp?) so I felt I had to calm you down, and as a nurse surely you know having a firm tone and eyecontact is the way to go.
Then maybe something about you are glad she still trust you as a tech and you now consider this as a thing in the past.

Or something like that, she's convinced she's right and by sticking to your knowlegde, even after she thinks she has proved you wrong, could lead her to think, or not, but either way you wouldn't have lost a client.

Hope it goes well:hug:

I would thank her for her correspondence, print off all the correct info & send it to her with a compliment slip....xx

Thank you all very much for your replies. I do think some sort of quick note apologizing for my demeanor if she has misinterpreted it, but (as Karen said), I believe I need to inform her that I acted as I am educated to do, just as she would. And also that I consider it something in the past. I just think that if I don't send SOMETHING in return, the next appt will be far to awkward to bear. In fact, I will probably spend too much time worrying and explaining to her that I would not get her nails done!

Oh and let me clarify about her position...she is an RN currently not working anywhere, she is going back to school to be a Nurse Practitioner. And I agree...I don't know how she can't know the difference between a fungal and bacterial infection and I wouldn't want her nursing me either!

I would thank her for her correspondence, print off all the correct info & send it to her with a compliment slip....xx

I would do exactly as above and not worry about the situation. Hope you feel better :)

Oh god, she is obviously the type of person who gets her back up easily. Bless ya for having to deal with that.

If she is still in care/nursing, she cant have polished or nail extensions, might have been an old career, old knowledge.

Do you know her is she a regular?

Fungal nail infections last so so long, it can really upset people, she might have panicked it she had one again and started to feel anxious and wanted to blame you for it.

I would respond is a polite way, i would thank her for being a lovely client (pays the bills lol) and perhaps avoid the subject all togther. Maybe ask her how her nail is doing and hope she likes the nail varnish you gave her. I think pointing out you were right would aggrivate her, you have nothing to prove if your right. Its best to keep her on your side i think.

xxx

Its your decision, but if i were you, I would cut my losses. She is obviously trying to convince herself that she is right. It sounds like she cant accept the fact that a nail technician knows more than she does...

I'm not saying "your just a nail technician" as I am one too but sometimes people do treat you different because of it and its almost as if were stupid. We dont know anything, as if we dont do intense training and that they are always right.

Sounds like snobbery to me!

You could send her a quick note saying that your sorry that you came across as aggressive but you you were trying to get your point across in a way she could understand it. Explain that you understand nails in a technical side and a medical side due to intense training because us that do nails know the ins and out of every part of the nail!

No - one would go to all that trouble unless they were trying to prove themselves right.

Nurses should not be wearing nails or polish at anytime! I would not want this woman to treat me!

Don't let her get to you. Try and not book her in again, you wouldn't accept a partner or a friend that treats you like that so why accept a client that does?

Do whats right for you

Lillyflower xx:hug:xx

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what a "compliment slip" is?

Add quote From Douglas D Schoon book:
Infections found on the surface of the nail plate are almost always caused by bacteria. Bacteria are one-celled, living organisms. Bacterial infections are most often green in colour from the waste products created by the bacteria.....
... As a bacteria colony grows, the bacteria produce an extremely dark stain that should not be removed by filing. These stains resist fading and can last for months after the infection is gone. This can fool nail technicians and clients into thinking the infection is still active.

"Infections inside the nail plate are usually caused by a fungus. Fungi are not thew same as bacteria; in fact, the fungi that cause skin and nail infections are parasitic, plantlike organisms related to mushrooms and yeast. These infections are relatively rare on fingernails and are most often found on the toenails, since shoes provide the ideal growth environment for fungi...
... Unlike bacteria, a fungus eats the keratin that makes up the nail plate. It can digest both skin and the nail plate. When this happens, the nail plate will break apart and swell, especially when exposed to moisture."

This would be something I'd add in a letter to her which stated I hoped it calmed her anxieties and showed it was a simple bacteria which will clear up with proper aftercare and reinforce your usual aftercare advice to prevent this happening again.

I hope you can sort this out
xxx

Compliment slip = A small note type size of paper normally with compliments or with many thanks printed on it with your business details, these often accompany letters.

You can write a little message on the slip if you have them or pop a business card in with the letter or information you are sending.

Much more professional to print off the details and send her the facts xx

I think only you can decide if you want to keep this client or not but i also think you have to try and understand her point of view a little.

She was obviously concerned to have a bacteria problem on her nails and as she has done some medical training its easy for her to think she know everything there is to know about infections and bacteria (we are all guilty of thinking we are the one who is right and she's obviously not any different!!)

If she has been a good client and is usually nice to deal with, i would do you best to put it behind you and move on. I would certainly apologise if she thought you were rude or confrontational in any way.

I know its a bit odd that she went to all the trouble of printing off a load of rubbish to prove her point, but by the way she speaks she may think you were not happy to listen to her opinion...... right or wrong, if she feels like you've been rude to her she will go out to prove her point.......

I dont think you'll ever get her to think you are right so if you continue to press the issue the chances are you'll lose her business.

It just depends on if you want to prove you're right more than you want her as a client.

Latest posts

Back