"Holes" appeared in whites

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aangel

Reaction score
hi, i did a set of nails on a client a week ago and she called me to cancel her maintenace app becuase she has taken them all off. she explained to me that "holes" appeared in the whites of the nails (i did french L+P) and she couldnt stand to look at them.
i have no idea why 1) she didnt call me to look at them and sort them out and 2) it happened in the first place.
they were fine when i left and it didnt happen till a few days after.

i asked her to explain what they looked like sice she didnt take a pic or let me see them before she took them off and she said the only way she could describe it was like cigarette burn holes, black and indented like melted plastic.
i am very purplexed as this hasnt happened with any other client i have done french with.

has anyone got any ideas? i will be seeing my tutor monday as i go back for my next 2 days, but wondered if i could give her any feedback before then as i said i would let her know if i found out what it may have been.

im sorry if this is a silly question but i honestly cant think what may have caused this. thanks xx

If she is telling the truth, then it sounds like you have got black grit particles in the white. But holes ??? Hmmm .. she is a silly woman for not working with you to solve the problem. WE should really ask and encourage our cients to do this from the very first appointment.

Would she mean that she had bubbles in the Acryic??

The only thing I can think of is that if you were working too wet...there could of been tiny bubbles in the acrylic...the ones that burst on the surface as the product sets will have left tiny tiny holes...after a day or 2 these tiny holes collect tiny dirt and look like dots or specks in/on the white acrylic. Sounds a bit far fetched but it happened to a set I did once.

Im not sure if this sounds anything like what this lady means!

oo sorry you already got answered.

Last edited:
Sorry we posted at the same time... that's what I was thinking too

thanks for the replies.
geeg, i did say to her, and i have said to ALL of my clients that "i am training, if there is any lifting within 7 days ill come back and fixt it, but if there are ANY other problems, please let me know, if i can sort it i will, i need to learn and i cant do that if you simply go on and think its ok"
just goes to show how many people think you actually meen it.

it does seem to be that bubbles are the only answer. thanks everyone, ill let her know and work to rectify this. thanks again for all the replies xxx

thanks for the replies.
geeg, i did say to her, and i have said to ALL of my clients that "i am training, if there is any lifting within 7 days ill come back and fixt it, but if there are ANY other problems, please let me know, if i can sort it i will, i need to learn and i cant do that if you simply go on and think its ok"
just goes to show how many people think you actually meen it.

it does seem to be that bubbles are the only answer. thanks everyone, ill let her know and work to rectify this. thanks again for all the replies xxx

BUBBLES do not happen 3 days after the nails have been done!

I'm sure you told her all of the above and she chose not to take your advice which is why I think she is telling lies.

I was thinking that she wasnt completely honest about it because they did seem a little on the thick side but she said she was happy with them before i left.
her nails were slightly ski sloped shaped and because she didnt want tips, this caused them to be on the thicker side.
I think since she is a family friend, she didnt want to upset me too much, but i still wish she had told me if that was the case.
I will make a point of going round to see her as a friend for a brew and have a chat.
thanks geeg and all geeks xx

aangel:
"I will make a point of going round to see her as a friend for a brew and have a chat"

Do you think this is a wise move? Clients are not really friends as such and if you treat her like a friend and not a client you could be starting a whole load of problems for yourself.
Best way is to keep it professional xx

true, i will bear it in mind when i talk to her xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Gigi with respect, I don't think the holes appeared after 3 days, I think the dirt did :)

Aangel I have had the pleasure myself in the very beginning of my training, where little holes was in the white (after being to thick in the first place and then filed down) the after a few days, well enough dirt to make small black holes. I was not only overworking my product, I think I was working to wet also.

I never get that anymore, but practice mix-ratio and be careful not to overwork the product:hug:

hi, i did a set of nails on a client a week ago and she called me to cancel her maintenace app becuase she has taken them all off. she explained to me that "holes" appeared in the whites of the nails (i did french L+P) and she couldnt stand to look at them.
i have no idea why 1) she didnt call me to look at them and sort them out and 2) it happened in the first place.

i asked her to explain what they looked like sice she didnt take a pic or let me see them before she took them off and she said the only way she could describe it was like cigarette burn holes, black and indented like melted plastic.
i am very purplexed as this hasnt happened with any other client i have done french with.

has anyone got any ideas? i will be seeing my tutor monday as i go back for my next 2 days, but wondered if i could give her any feedback before then as i said i would let her know if i found out what it may have been.

im sorry if this is a silly question but i honestly cant think what may have caused this. thanks xx

Only answering with the information the poster gave.

2)

Oh misread that sorry:hug: I wasn't trying to be disrespectful towards you, I just thought she had missed the holes and then the lady only saw them when the dirt started gathering.

thanks again,
it could well be that i didnt notice popped air bubbles, and that once the dirt gathered after a few days the client started to notice.
i will sugest this as a possible explanation to her, and i will also practice more to ensure i am not working too wet/overworking the product.
i have only been doing this 3 weeks, so i know i am hardly a pro lol. im going to make mistakes, and i can only hope to learn from these.
thanks everone lets hope i learn from this one xxxxx

you will, and good for you that you try to correct if you make mistakes:hug:

If you look at the nails very closely after filing, then you would be able to se if there's little holes, you can practice on tips and file a bit, that way you can try again and again until the mix-ratio is correct!

thanks love. i will be paying much closer attention now on each set (verging on paraniod about it now lol) from now on to see if it is whats happened.
thanks xx

aangel you do a wicked set of nails and ive never seen any holes in them no way shes telling porkies , maybe she just didnt like havin nails on but didnt want to make you feel bad xx:hug:

aw thanks hun xxxxxx

Aangel I have had the pleasure myself in the very beginning of my training, where little holes was in the white (after being to thick in the first place and then filed down) the after a few days, well enough dirt to make small black holes. I was not only overworking my product, I think I was working to wet also.

I never get that anymore, but practice mix-ratio and be careful not to overwork the product:hug:

I agree .....
It really depends on your eyesight though.

You may not initially see these little holes/divots in the nail surface.
Working with white powder, as when you file it, it has white dust, which settles into these little holes and all looks good, as it can be difficult to distinguish, particularly when you put oil on them.

We are so quick to cover our work with oil that many go unnoticed, oil masks these little faults.

It isn't until the oil has come out and the dust gets in that they become noticeable as black spots.

I'd recommend a gentle press of the acrylic to release any bubbles (not poke and prod), many people panic with white acrylic, as it does have a different set-up time.

You can also use a gel topcoat.

Also ...... please don't take any offence to this .... perhaps get some reading glasses that just magnify things just a fraction, so these little things are a little more obvious.

I agree .....
It really depends on your eyesight though.

Also ...... please don't take any offence to this .... perhaps get some reading glasses that just magnify things just a fraction, so these little things are a little more obvious.

hehehe, i didnt take any offence at all. i already wear glasses for watching telly, computer, etc, but now im working up close i think ill have a word with the optician and see what they say.

thanks. and knowing others have had this or at least similar problem, i feel better xxx

Latest posts

Back