Home Salon - Advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJoPearce

Reaction score
My plan is to set up a home salon. I have 5 bedrooms and a seperate dining room so there is plenty of room in the house.

I would love to have a whole room just as my salon, but my husband doesn't want to lose a room, nor does he want me to set up in the dining room because he wants it as a dining room.

The dining room would be great as it is opposite the downsatirs loo so clients dont have to go through the rest of the house. He wants me to work from home and is supportive of me doing nails but setting up is becoming a battle of wills.

To all home salon geeks, Do you have one room transformed into a salon or a corner of a room set up?

Also, have any of you encountered problems from your hubby/partner like me and how did you deal with them?

Well if he wants you to work from home then he has to learn to comprimise. If you have five bedrooms then he cant really argue a case if one isn't in use.
If you have room to put a small sofa bed in it can double up as a spare bedrooml otherwise you can use it as additional seating.
There a quite a few techs here with converted bedrooms, clients dont mind as long as it looks professional.
Have a look in the gallery, you can get some ideas in there.
I have one in my gallery and it a cabin that my dad built me in the garden, does the job brilliantly. You'll win him round, if not give him the silent treatment. I would be really cruel and make him stay in the needed bedroom til he gives in lol. (no Im not really that cruel)

hi jo, sorry your having proplems with hubby, they like the idea of us working from home (handy for the kids and all that !) but don't like it when it interfere's with day to day life(what you've got another client tonight?? the football's on )
but if you have got all those rooms doing nothing.. i have a home salon it was my baby's nursery last year , but we made our bungalow into a house and the stairs had to go in this room which left me with a small (but perfect) room for nails , i find it so easy to have a seperate room as i can just shut the door, the kids stay out of the room and when clients are there its so much more professional to have the separate space... work on him ..
good luckxx

Hey,
I think if you have the space it's a good idea to have a dedicated room to offer your services, it make life sooo much easier especially with kids, you can decorate it nicely too.
I think if your husband wants you to work aswell as look after the children then he needs to be surportive, it's not easy!! It would mean you wouldn't need to keep setting up etc if you had your own room, you could just keep it set up and locked away from the children.
I do work in a salon and also have a few private clients at home, however I don't have a room I just use the lounge and weel my desk in, it can be a hassle though.
I've decided as there is no space in my house and I don't want to keep working in the lounge we will buy a summer house and use that instead.
Good luck xx

Hi there.. i'm sorry you're having problems with the space in your house.. But if you have a spareroom that is being used for nothing, mabey ask the reason why he doesn't want to give it up??
I transformed the hot tub room into a spa-room.. Since we don't have a hottub.. and if we did we'd probably want it outside or on the balcony sothat it would be fun in the winter while it snows!
So the room was just there.. getting cluttered with junk... So when i decided i wanted to work on my own we turned it into a cute little salon/spa.. if you want to see the pics you can look on my site.. or there's a couple in the gallery..

Thanks girls,

I'll work on him tonight. Men - i cant figure them out sometimes.

Loving the garden cabin idea. Might look into this for the future (cant afford that at the moment)

You would be suprised at how low you can keep the cost. Mines is roughly 12ft by 8ft and cost me little over 300.00 from start to furnished. Im a bargain hunter and the build was fairly simple.

louge said:
You would be suprised at how low you can keep the cost. Mines is roughly 12ft by 8ft and cost me little over 300.00 from start to furnished. Im a bargain hunter and the build was fairly simple.
can you give us some more info hun if you dont mind??, you can pm me if you like xxxxxxxxxxx

I only have a three bedroom house and one is for hubbys computer and the other is my little beauty room.

I would hate it if I didn't have my room as once you are finished you just shut the door and you know that everything you possibly need is in that one room.

Surely he can let you have one of the five rooms!

I am already looking into a buying a spacious house with a room where I could work from. He is fully supportive and if he wants me to bring in money I need somewhere to work from. BUT when I get in there bet there is a battle of the wills; he'll want a room for himself. Oh god we can't win can we!!

Hey what about that for an idea. Incorporating a spa into your treatment room!! having a think about that one

Jo Jo - Your sister will be able to advise you from a client's point of view what she things of my home salon.

A lot of my clients prefer to come to my home salon rather than the beauty salon where i work. However, I have banned children from my home salon for health and safety reasons.

With all those bedrooms, you should have no problem accomodating a very good home salon.

Working from Home is a great idea but I would just like to remind Geeks that you will have to pay some sort of Biz Tax if you have a room that is purely for Biz use. Lot's of Geeks don't declare the fact they work from home & that's ok as long as you don't get some busy body that reports you.
My advice is to have a room that can be converted back to a Bedroom or dining room & doesn't look like a Salon. Then contact the local District Valuers office & ask to speak to some one who can advise you on Biz rates. I was given this advice by the local council & I'm in the process of making my salon look like a Sun lounge!! I don't work in it every day & I don't want to be stung with a high Tax I can't afford.
You may already know all this & if you have already contacted the council , I would be interested to know what they said. I know different areas have different rules.
Good Luck chuck :)

Lorrie said:
Working from Home is a great idea but I would just like to remind Geeks that you will have to pay some sort of Biz Tax if you have a room that is purely for Biz use.

My local Council do not make any additional charges to my Council Tax even though I use my spare bedroom as a salon. You would only be charged Business Rates on any part of your house which was converted solely for use as a business, such as converting a garage, adding extra an extra external door directly into one room for access, etc.

Any room that retains it's original purpose is not subject to Business rates. So if you took your dining room furniture out and put a nail station in instead, it woundn't be subject to Business Rates as you can simply return the dining table and it becomes the dining room again. The same for a spare bedroom with the bed.

It's true that conditions vary from Council to Council and check with your local one, but I believe, on the whole, the 'no convertion, no charge' is pretty standard.

Any room that retains it's original purpose is not subject to Business rates. So if you took your dining room furniture out and put a nail station in instead, it woundn't be subject to Business Rates as you can simply return the dining table and it becomes the dining room again. The same for a spare bedroom with the bed.

I think that's the point I was trying to make. Hard to make yourself understood sometimes! If it converts back it's not classed as a salon. Best thing to do to escape rates. They get enough of our hard earnt money!! :)

louge said:

Emma - did you have to inform your council you were building this in your garden? Sounds fab and the cost sounds good too!!:)

Urban Geek said:
Jo Jo - Your sister will be able to advise you from a client's point of view what she things of my home salon.

A lot of my clients prefer to come to my home salon rather than the beauty salon where i work. However, I have banned children from my home salon for health and safety reasons.

With all those bedrooms, you should have no problem accomodating a very good home salon.

Chris,

I did ask Nic and she thought it was very professional. Am I right in saying that you have fitted a full extraction system?

I have been thinking a lot about this since I have posted the tread and will either do 2 things.

* Go down the cabin in the garden route. But so many questions to this. What about electricy, water and a loo. Seems a lot to do and cant see it being that cheap (just having my bathroom done and blimey thats costing loads - dont know how all these property shows do it for next to nothing)

or

* Converting a bedroom - This is the one I'm swaying with at the mo. Can be set up but keep a sofa bed just in case we need an additional bed.

Need to wotk on Matthew (hubby) and also look into all regs ect about working from home. Want to do this correct and legal.

Why dont you set up in the bedroom for now, and save the money you earn to put towards a cabin later. You can have elecs/flooring etc put in a cabin no problem, ive seen some really nice ones once they are done up Dont think youd need a loo in, ive not got one in my home salon (mines a conservertory)SP??

when I first started at home i used my kitchen, and saved up to put conserv on house, this also helped convince 'him indoors', as he could see that I was earning good, regular money from it.:lol:

My home salon used to be a study, I can fit a couch, nail station and set of drawers to one side and a sideboard where I keep all my stock and retail items on display on top. Its not massive but probably about the size of a regular bedroom.

Our house is also 5 bed, I chucked my hubby and all his PC's into a bedroom upstairs and used the downstairs study for treatments. Its the first room as you go in the front door and is separated from the main house by double doors so that was lucky.

I'd definately assert yourself on this, its not a whim, this is REALLY importatnt to you!!! I'm sure he'll come round..........good luck!

Hello everyone!!

I was just wondering if a lot of nail technicians Living in UK have a Home salon??? I'm from Mexico but live in US and here i havent seen such a thing. People here in the US neighborhoods are pretty restrictive about this, in most neighbordhoods they wont allow you to have any kind of bussiness, they think it makes the city look ugly???. In Mexico most of people open their salons in their own houses (the living room, specially) since they dont have to pay rent. Personally i just think it is great and would also like to know if anyone own or has seen a home salon here in the states.

Thank you!!

Thanks all.

I have finally had the discussion and have decided agreed to set up in the dining room, math is not happy about clients going upstairs.

The dining room is at the back of the house and right opposite downstairs loo and kitchen. Also, clients can access from the sidedoor instead of coming through the front door. I can set up a new bell at the side gate so I know when they are coming in.

I will be working to get it sorted for the end of the year as the room needs decorating including plastering so this gives me a realistic time frame to work to and look into all the legal stuff as well.

cheers,

Latest posts

Back