Home Salon, Music License?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajshard

Reaction score
Been getting letters etc from PRS for Music, I emailed them as requested a couple of weeks back to confirm my work situation and to advise I wasnt currently playing any music but could they tell me how much it would be should I decide to (I think according to website it would cost me £31)

Any had no reply and today they called again, told the guy my details, work from home, no staff, 1-1 with clients and he said I could play music and didnt need a licence??

Now im confused, i have deliberately avoided putting music in my home salon as I didnt want any extra costs at the moment and now this guy has said i dont need a licence but when i read the website it sounds like i do..

Can anyone here who has a home salon confirm that I dont need a licence?

THanks
AJx

well I work from home and go into clients homes as a mobile, I was told to work in MY home I need a license but not to go to others homes. It costs me £80 a year for my PRS.
There is a thread on here about the 2 licenses we are supposed to have, I only have PRS at the moment but think I need to look into getting the other one really.KX

How bad is that then, my situation is the same as yours and ive been told something totally different, think im definately going to try to get some thing in writing from them

Thanks for your reply

AJx

How bad is that then, my situation is the same as yours and ive been told something totally different, think im definately going to try to get some thing in writing from them

Thanks for your reply

AJx

I was also told I don't need one as I work from home. I did explain the radio is not on in my salon, it's in my hallway and can be heard throughout the house. I'm sorry but I'd turn it off rather than pay £80 a year to have it on

I too have been told that I don't need one as I work from home. They also said they would still contact me once a year to see whether that had changed.

mm thats interesting! I think I will have to look into this then as I have been paying for 2 years now!!!! Glad I read this post, thank you Guys :) kx

For you home salon owners,
Could you not play the music channels or radio from you tv, as you are paying your tv lisence?
Or how about those "nature sounding globes" where you push different buttons to hear; birdsongs, woodd sound, ocean noise, etc - surely you dont need a music lisence to play that :irked:
I think it is so unfair & just another way to get money out of us.
You would think buying a cd would be enough, let along paying to listen to it. x:hug:x

For you home salon owners,
Could you not play the music channels or radio from you tv, as you are paying your tv lisence?
I'm afraid this wont work either. You need a PRS and PPL if you play copyrighted music from any source (including TV's)

I work from home and about 18 months ago I was told I didnt need one but 6 months on I was told I did and now pay £80 per year.

I work from home and was told only a couple of months ago that I wouldn't need to pay, sounds like it depends who you speak to on the fone. Think it would be worth it, I couldn't not play music.

I too work from home and have been paying £80 a year PRS. Every year i try and get out of paying it some way or another, but they always come back with, if you play any type of music to the public you have to have a licence, no matter where you are.. I really begrudge it every year, money for old rope!

The way it was explained to me is that it has nothing to do with whether you work from home. It's all to do with whether you run a 'walk in' or 'appointment only' service. If it's a place where the public can just walk in then you need one. If they need to make an appointment and can't just walk in, then you don't. I guess that's where the confusion comes in around not needing one for a home salon as they would obviously need to make an appointment.

I would say put the question in an email to your Trading Standards dept and that way you'll have it in writing.

Hi guys,

Those of you who run your business from home, you would need a license if the music is played for the clients.

As Trinity stated, she has hers playing throughout the house, that is fine.

PRS license is needed regardless of whether or not you play the radio or cd's, this you need as a business anyway guaranteed.
PPL on the other hand you do need as well but this is calculated to how many staff you employ. Completely stupid, I know. I was paying £280 for the year! however ...

I have found a way around these license companies and paying as little as possible, I now only play I-Chill CD's in all beauty rooms and I play CD's that have a sticker on the front no license required. These CD's are actually very nice .... Wholesale

Hope this helps

xxxx

Latest posts

Back