Hot wax technique help thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Kim.Its also best to pull those chin hairs outwards because that's usually the way the hair follicle grows,straight in.If you continually go against those sorts of strong hairs,you distort the follicle and can cause them to grow in.

Great thread. I am just starting with non strip wax in anticipation of doing my intimate wax training soon! I have struggled with stringy bits, and one type I used just didn't seem to take the hairs with it. I have had great help from a fellow geek on here, and am about to order the wax she recommended - thanks BB.

It is a very different technique to strip wax, and training at college was using hot wax where you literally did one patch, removed it and passed that element. The much cooler, non strip waxes were never even mentioned - maybe they just weren't around!

I'm very keen to do my intimate training as there is no-one near here that I know of doing brazilians or similar with non strip wax - they all use strip wax, and I have a lot of interest already.

Thanks for the tips!

Great thread. I am just starting with non strip wax in anticipation of doing my intimate wax training soon! I have struggled with stringy bits, and one type I used just didn't seem to take the hairs with it. I have had great help from a fellow geek on here, and am about to order the wax she recommended - thanks BB.

It is a very different technique to strip wax, and training at college was using hot wax where you literally did one patch, removed it and passed that element. The much cooler, non strip waxes were never even mentioned - maybe they just weren't around!

I'm very keen to do my intimate training as there is no-one near here that I know of doing brazilians or similar with non strip wax - they all use strip wax, and I have a lot of interest already.

Thanks for the tips!
Good for you. It's all about using a good brand and pushing the wax through the hair to the skin. DOn't let it set before you apply or it won't remove the hairs as it needs to shrink wrap them.

Just bumpity bumping to get some more comments! (And possibly a response to my problem)! 😉😀

Just bumpity bumping to get some more comments! (And possibly a response to my problem)! ����

What wax are you using some hot waxes have different ways to use them.The Perron Rigot waxes I use don't require stirring into the hair like some waxes to grip.In fact if you play with them like the older style hot waxes you cause them to become stringy and gummy.
Do you trim the hair to a workable length.

Thanks for the reply! The hair wasn't too long but a very tight curl. It was underarm on one client, bikini on another. Underarm client is Jamaican so hair type slightly different. I use Adam and Eve wax and never have a problem usually! I spread on with the hair growth and spread back once to make a bit of a lip if that makes sense? Bit concerned as one client is back in on Saturday!

I like this thread!

I've got back into hot waxing recently, not done it since my btec in 1994! It works great most of the time but twice on different occasions it hasn't really set and come off in gooey lumps?! Both ladies had tight curly hair, not sure if this makes any difference?

Thanks in advance x
Sounds as though you didn't push the wax through the hair to the skin.

Thanks for the reply! The hair wasn't too long but a very tight curl. It was underarm on one client, bikini on another. Underarm client is Jamaican so hair type slightly different. I use Adam and Eve wax and never have a problem usually! I spread on with the hair growth and spread back once to make a bit of a lip if that makes sense? Bit concerned as one client is back in on Saturday!

I am using the same wax as you my darling and training with it too. Which one are you using? I use the Lavender and Original Sin which is for males or course hair. Both of these work really well and, in my opinion, are 2 of the very best in a fairly large range. I have a couple of clients of ethnic origin and I use the Original sin for them.

As Kim says, pressing the wax through the hair is essential and if you also leave it slightly longer than you would usually it will grip better. Generally though a lot of problems in the removal of difficult hair is just the lack of pressure or support of skin when applying the wax. :wink2:

Thanks so much for the reply ladies!

Am using lavender on the body, such a nice wax and clients are liking it as well!

Will try pressing it on harder as haven't been using much pressure so far, thank you xx

It will make a big difference and I think it is the most common mistake to be honest. I think it's down to therapists worrying about hurting the client by pressing too hard. Just nice and firm and think about what you are trying to do, that is to press hard enough to get the wax through all of the hair. Try it out on either yourself or a friend so that you can judge the pressure. :wink2:

Update!

Pressing the wax firmly onto the hair/ skin is clearly the way forward! Tried it on clients yesterday, all super dooper now, thanks for the tips 😀

I love hot wax! I literally couldn't do Brazilians and Hollywoods with just strip wax anymore!

I do use both waxes for theses treatments though. I put a very narrow strip of warm wax at right angles right at the top of the labia and using a strip, remove these first as it gives me a hair free patch to start the hot wax from. I then apply the hot wax to the outer labia on both sides (client in the frog position) and whilst that is cooling/setting, whip off the front bit and any on the legs using warm wax and strips. I then move onto the under carriage using only hot wax.

I've tried every hot wax going and randomly (after running out one busy Saturday and having no other choice) found my favourite is the cheapest stuff from Sally's! I was caught up in worrying about the make of wax all the time when one client said "why would anyone care what brand of wax you use as long as its doing a good job". Valid point! Haha

My least favourite type of client is those whose hair is super flat to the skin. Mission! :)

Hi fellow waxes.
I just do facial waxing as it was part of a course I done as I am not yet brave enough to take on the other body parts just yet.

Just a quick question. I have been fine with everything so far and I like the wax I got in my kit but today I had the most scary thing. As I pulled tbe wax strip of my clients brow, it went stringy and think and went all over her nose and eye lashes. I managed to clear it away with no panic but I have no idea what caused that. My wax was nice and warm, could this mean it was too warm? Or was my room too cold and made it funny?

Hope this makes sense xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi fellow waxes.
I just do facial waxing as it was part of a course I done as I am not yet brave enough to take on the other body parts just yet.

Just a quick question. I have been fine with everything so far and I like the wax I got in my kit but today I had the most scary thing. As I pulled tbe wax strip of my clients brow, it went stringy and think and went all over her nose and eye lashes. I managed to clear it away with no panic but I have no idea what caused that. My wax was nice and warm, could this mean it was too warm? Or was my room too cold and made it funny?

Hope this makes sense xxx

Sounds to be like you just didn't let the wax set up enough before attempting to remove. If it's too soft it will string, I find my wax is ideal when it's slightly cool to touch then it's perfect to remove. When using a good got wax it won't go brittle no matter how long it's on there (not saying you should leave it on the skin a long time, it's just reference) it will come of in on smooth piece

Sounds to be like you just didn't let the wax set up enough before attempting to remove. If it's too soft it will string, I find my wax is ideal when it's slightly cool to touch then it's perfect to remove. When using a good got wax it won't go brittle no matter how long it's on there (not saying you should leave it on the skin a long time, it's just reference) it will come of in on smooth piece

Ahh ok so I possibly just put the strip wax on too soon after applying the hot wax?

Ahh ok so I possibly just put the strip wax on too soon after applying the hot wax?

Are you using warm wax (taken of with a cotton strip or paper strip) or hot wax which requires no strip?

My suggestion was for Hot wax application but from your response it sounds more like warm wax since you mentioned the strip? In this case when you apply the strip, firmly press the strip into the wax and pull off. Make sure your strips are larger then the area your waxing (eyebrows and upper lip only) to prevent the strings happening.

if the strips are too small and theres wax outside the strip area the remaining wax will string. hope that makes sense!

Ahh yes you have hit the nail on the head.
Sorry yes its warm wax I forget there is a hot wax too without strips.

Yes I didnt cover the whole wax with the strip...I should of remembered that from the course just so much to take in! Ha.

Thank you so much xx

This thread has been so helpful to me recently! Having trained with awful, brittle hard wax at college and now using Lycon at my new job I am now absolutely LOVING hot wax! I've actually started to enjoy doing intimate waxes now, my previous salon used strip wax (!) for intimate which I hated! It's also our most popular treatment, just shows that clients are savvy these days and will actively seek out a goo brand/therapist :) xx

This thread has been so helpful to me recently! Having trained with awful, brittle hard wax at college and now using Lycon at my new job I am now absolutely LOVING hot wax! I've actually started to enjoy doing intimate waxes now, my previous salon used strip wax (!) for intimate which I hated! It's also our most popular treatment, just shows that clients are savvy these days and will actively seek out a goo brand/therapist :) xx
It just goes to show that you get what you pay for in life.

It just goes to show that you get what you pay for in life.

So true Kim, so many clients say they have tried numerous different salons, and seems everyone has had a bikini waxing disaster at some point! A lot of salons (my previous employer included) used to think 'clients will never know the difference' -how wrong they are! And what a hell of a lot of money they are missing out on! Such a profitable treatment!

Latest posts

Back