Hot wax technique help thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzyo

Reaction score
Inspired by the Brisa Lite technical help threads I thought us waxers could also do with some help. So what troubles do you find when using hot wax?

NOTE: This is a thread about technique. Not promoting your brand of wax or product so please keep it to helping people with the wax they are using, not what you think they should use. Please discuss brands in another thread.

As I am self taught using hot wax (hot wax wasn't even mentioned at my training :rolleyes: ) I do find I can be too generous with the pre wax oil and sometimes even though I have wiped the area over in an attempt to remove the excess oil I still find that the wax doesn't stick or remove all the hairs.

I have found that less is definatley more when it comes to applying the pre wax oil but I am sure I will learn the correct amount to use with enough practice lol.

I love using hot wax for eyebrows and find it so much easier to use than strip wax and gentler on the skin too.

How do you apply the oil? Try a few drops on your hand, rub over to cover your hands and then press them down onto the towel or couch roll to remove any excess. Don't wipe, just press down.

See if that makes a difference for you.

I have tried a little oil (& a mean a teeny bit) on a cotton pad wiped over the area then wipe away excess with clean cotton pad and that seems to be ok MOST of the time.
Maybe I will just try using a bit of oil on my hands as you suggest. Being mobile though I try not to get my hands too oily as I have to drive between clients.

Last edited:
Fab thread Fozzyo, I am wanting to do some more advanced training later in the year but in the mean time I rely on Salon Geek for tips!

I struggle with knowing what positions to get the clients into after some of them say they have left salons before due to being asked to get into positions they werent "supple" enough for!

I don't yet do the on all 4's but use the 4 position and the frog and if needed get them on their stomach and to pull their knee up if that makes sense.

Do you tell clients before you start what positions they will need to get them in?

Do you tell them or do you ask if they are ok with it?

when Im doing a Brazilian with hot wax i try to always apply the wax down the way but i find i get lots of broken hairs and i need to tweeze. also my wax sometimes breaks when i remove it. have i applied it too thinly? thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

For positions I tell clients how I would like them, if they can't do it or find it uncomfortable then we try some alternatives. I sometimes explain the area I need to get to ad ask them how they would be most comfortable. I had a Hollywood client who because of a knee op dangled her leg over side of the table.

Never worry about getting your client to move about. Of they move and it is easier or you it is probably more comfortable for them.

For the all 4s I just say 'can you turn over onto your knees and elbows so I can finish off down below'. You just have to be matter of fact about it. If you ask them they will say no.

Remove the wax in sections, rebrand the skin each step and move your grip down the wax to hold it as close to the skin as you can.

Once done go over the area in the opposite direction, I do this for the outer and inner labia and it really get those awkward hairs.

on a silly note, do you think we should start resorting to these

Ultrafins® Stirrups

Love it.

I've only jus qualified in intimate waxing and I just love hot wax. I don't no how people do it with warm.

As for technique I found starting off with small sections was better then eventually making them slightly bigger. X

I always tell clients how i want them and more often than not will make a joke of it being the 'from behind position' or 'the doggy position' and say its not dignified but its the best for getting all the hairs out and then say theres a towel here if you want to cover yourself up you can do if youre not bothered then thats fine by me and ask them to give me a shout when theyre all done. Even though i say all that people still end up getting it wrong sometimes ha i had a bloke get up on to the bed with his underwear and jeans still around his ankles now THAT was an amazing achievement! When clients are on the bed i tell them where i want them and if they dont do it right i guide them into the right position my self. Ive broken your leg? Ohhh dont worry love, atleast youll be defuzzed when the dr has to plaster you up :D if people have a medical condition that prevents them getting into certain positions etc more often than not theyll tell you and you can adapt as needed, if you know you wont be able to get all the hairs in that position or if itll take a little longer just explain that to the client. X

Thought I'd drag this thread back up... maybe we can continue? ;) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

With clients with very very strong hair growth on the face in particular the chin area are yous able to get all hair out in one go of removing the wax or do you have to still tweeze some hairs?

I have a few customers with PCOS and the growth is heavy and strong

I have tried strip wax and recently hot wax which I think is gentler and removed more but still not all on these few customers

It frustrates me as I want my waxing to be perfect

any advice?

With clients with very very strong hair growth on the face in particular the chin area are yous able to get all hair out in one go of removing the wax or do you have to still tweeze some hairs?

I have a few customers with PCOS and the growth is heavy and strong

I have tried strip wax and recently hot wax which I think is gentler and removed more but still not all on these few customers

It frustrates me as I want my waxing to be perfect

any advice?
With this kind of facial hair, allow the wax to set but not for too long. Then instead of removing the wax in one or two pulls, remove it quickly but in short sharp bursts away from the skin instead of parallel to the skin.

With this kind of facial hair, allow the wax to set but not for too long. Then instead of removing the wax in one or two pulls, remove it quickly but in short sharp bursts away from the skin instead of parallel to the skin.

I see do you mean like at a slight angle?

I see do you mean like at a slight angle?
No, kind of outwards......just the way you shouldn't generally pull wax off. Tiny but quick quick quick pulls as though you're tugging on the wax.

right I get you so do the opposite of normal waxing

and would you do it with hot wax in quite small sections?

right I get you so do the opposite of normal waxing

and would you do it with hot wax in quite small sections?
Got it. Everything you're not supposed to do. Apply in long narrow sections but remove the way I told you as you get a better result. x

I like this thread!

I've got back into hot waxing recently, not done it since my btec in 1994! It works great most of the time but twice on different occasions it hasn't really set and come off in gooey lumps?! Both ladies had tight curly hair, not sure if this makes any difference?

Thanks in advance x

Latest posts

Back