Hot wax technique help thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there, I was just wanting some advice for hot waxing underarms that are very fine hair?? It just seems that hot wax simply doesn't work as well as strip wax for fine hair, but I realise that it's gentler and most clients probably prefer it, but I just can't seem to perfect my technique. (Too many hairs left, sometimes hardly any come out and don't want to have to go over it 4 times!) Any advice would be much appreciated, ie: apply with or against hair growth direction? Powder or oil beforehand or both? Etc.

Hi there, I was just wanting some advice for hot waxing underarms that are very fine hair?? It just seems that hot wax simply doesn't work as well as strip wax for fine hair, but I realise that it's gentler and most clients probably prefer it, but I just can't seem to perfect my technique. (Too many hairs left, sometimes hardly any come out and don't want to have to go over it 4 times!) Any advice would be much appreciated, ie: apply with or against hair growth direction? Powder or oil beforehand or both? Etc.

What wax are you using.Hot hard wax or hot film wax also what make.

Hot hard wax, I don't think I've ever heard of film wax, what's the difference? I've used a variety of brands but Caron, lycon, depileve.

Hi guys loving this thread! I used hot wax pretty much exclusively when doing facial waxing (unless client asks otherwise) but I have recently had a couple of older ladies in with rather brittle facial hair that breaks rather than comes out- any recommendations as what I can do to stop this? Or why this is happening?

I moved away from hot wax years ago because I wasn't happy with the amount of fine hairs it left on clients, mainly eyebrows but I have found certain waxes, or should I say one is particularly good for fine Downey hairs. Check with your chosen company as to which they recommend.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Certain hot waxes I mean. I switched to sugar but am planning on updating my hot wax training this year and giving it a go again :-D

Hearing you with the fine downy hair!

Can I ask what brand of wax you prefer using and why? I'm thinking of changing but would like some help before I take the plunge! X

Can I ask what brand of wax you prefer using and why? I'm thinking of changing but would like some help before I take the plunge! X

I use Lycon's Lycojet for eyebrows and facial waxing as it picks up those fine downy hairs which I've struggled with with other hot waxes I've tried. It can be quite brittle though so you have to work fast x

In your other reply you mentioned you have tried Lycon and Caron. Lycon advises to use oil underneath where Caron doesn't. Make sure you've cleaned any deodorant residue off first as this can act as a barrier. Add the slightest amount of oil if the brand you use recommend it and push the wax down through the hair as you apply. I've always applied against the growth but I think that's just the way I trained, I don't think it really matters

hey ladies. any advice on waxing the labia? I was thought to apply hot wax in a figure of 8 motion to the labia in a vertical strip (which kinda confuses me as the hair grows horizontal here). I did my trainubg a good while ago but havent put it into practice and am gonna be practing in the next few days. im pretty comfortable with all other aspects if brazilian except this part.

Thanks x

Sent from my SGH-I257M using SalonGeek mobile app

I would suggest that you apply pre wax skin cleanser with a tiny drop of oil on the pad at the same time - TINY - then wipe off the residue.
Make sure that you really work the wax well into the hair and PUSH the wax down into the hair with you gloved hand.
This will make sure the wax really works around the hair and is should remove all the hair the first time. If you are coming to Olympia show come and look at a demo

I too am having some hot wax issues. Can anyone tell me what timings they work to? I had a client complain that I took 40 mins to hot wax her. She was a new client and apologised that it was a long time since her last wax. She didn't need trimming though so I was a bit disconcerted when I strip waxed her inner thighs and she shrieked. So I did the rest with hot wax. When I trained (Adam n Eve) we were told to book an hour for an intimate - which seemed excessive (I try and use a bit of strip and aim for 30 mins)

Client apparently came in carrying a cycle helmet and receptionist was adamant that she cycled home and then had same client on the phone complaining that she had been "burnt". I am happy in my mind that she friction burned herself by cycling home but does anyone have any comment? Anyway, part of her complaint was that I took too long. She says that hot wax never takes longer than 15-20 mins.

So what timings do you work to for hot wax and do you feel that cycling straight after an intimate wax could cause a problem that wasn't caused by therapist?

Oh yes Lyndaa I forgot, I was going to say that in my training we were told to let the wax first find it's own path and drizzle/drip/run down the labia off the spatula and then work it in. This was Adam n Eve wax and we were told up be v. Generous with dollop size.

Pushing wax in definitely way forward.

A client can't tell you how long to take, 40mins when it's been a while our they're difficult is ok. I do aim to keep under 30mins for most though. And yes, friction burn from riding home!

I too am having some hot wax issues. Can anyone tell me what timings they work to? I had a client complain that I took 40 mins to hot wax her. She was a new client and apologised that it was a long time since her last wax. She didn't need trimming though so I was a bit disconcerted when I strip waxed her inner thighs and she shrieked. So I did the rest with hot wax. When I trained (Adam n Eve) we were told to book an hour for an intimate - which seemed excessive (I try and use a bit of strip and aim for 30 mins)

Client apparently came in carrying a cycle helmet and receptionist was adamant that she cycled home and then had same client on the phone complaining that she had been "burnt". I am happy in my mind that she friction burned herself by cycling home but does anyone have any comment? Anyway, part of her complaint was that I took too long. She says that hot wax never takes longer than 15-20 mins.

So what timings do you work to for hot wax and do you feel that cycling straight after an intimate wax could cause a problem that wasn't caused by therapist?

I normally take between 30-40 mins for a Brazilian with hot wax but today I had a new client in who is over here travelling from Australia, she was telling me that over there, a full Hollywood normally takes between 10-15 mins and that they only apply 3 large areas of wax and it's done. A strip down each side and one more which cover the entire pubic bone area. That's it! All hair gone! She has said she'll come back in 6 weeks so I can practice it that way on her although just 3 applications seems ....well, daunting lol

I'm from Australia and no that is not the norm! I've heard about it though from Queensland (our sunny beach state) but can promise you that is not the way. We do do a lot so our times are probably about 15-20mins normally..

Hello,
Length of time could take anywhere from 10 minutes to 40 minutes depending on hair growth, new client, weather conditions - more time generally needed when it is humid.
I would generally suggest using strip wax across the pubic bone and down the inner thighs - yes it is more painful but so much quicker and generally is not a problem.
Any exercise after a Brazilian wax is a no no - do you offer an after care sheet - if so this advice should be part of it.
After any waxing the skin will be tender and cycling would certainly cause chafing.

This thread has been so helpful to me recently! Having trained with awful, brittle hard wax at college and now using Lycon at my new job I am now absolutely LOVING hot wax! I've actually started to enjoy doing intimate waxes now, my previous salon used strip wax (!) for intimate which I hated! It's also our most popular treatment, just shows that clients are savvy these days and will actively seek out a goo brand/therapist :) xx

I agree completely with this! I was so nervous to do intimate waxing when I started in a salon whilst still at college, but when I went back to do my last hollywood assessment I did the whole thing in hot wax (despite the wax being awful) because I'd done so much of it at my salon! Everyone on my course wondered why I did it in hot wax but id never ever go back to doing strip wax for anything more than a high bikini or brazilian!! :thumbup::)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back