How are you all really finding semi-permanent mascara!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think it was worthwhile training in SPM & were you happy with the training?

• Yes I think it is worthwhile and I was happy with the training.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • Yes Yes I think it is worthwhile but I was not happy with the training.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Yes I think it is worthwhile but wish I had trained with another company

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • No I wish I hadn't done the training

Votes: 37 41.6%

• Total voters
It's funny how you asked for our opinions as therpaists and not the distributor's yet some of them just couldn't help themselves! Tipical :rolleyes:

Yeah I was thinking this as I was reading through aswell :) ahhh well!

Well I have watched these threads about SPM with great interest and cant believe what I have read.
Before anyone gets on their highhorse I am a normal beauty therapist, NOT I REPEAT NOT attached to any company what so ever nor have I trained in SPM I have however had a Cry Baby and lately a Myscara treatment done on myself.
I do think SPM given half a chance will do really well, yes its new and yes some therapists will be better than others at application but the venom that is spouting forth on here makes it sound like the work of the devil.
I had Cry Baby applied and it was so terrible I felt like crying like a baby. My lashes felt like they had been deep fried. I could go on for a whole page about my experience with my treatment that day but I am a grown up and I know that one bad therapist does not represent an entire company suffice to say I hated it. I tried myscara recently and there was simply no comparison. It looked great and I would have it done again. I have been wearing it for 3 weeks now and it has only just started to fade. Am I actually allowed to say that?
I personally feel this forum so so bias towards certain brands/products and the biggest problem is that if you dare to question one of the so called "golden products" you are told in a very round about way that you are an idiot (might not be those exact words but hey shoot me)
I am not surprised you were reported Geeg, I have been reading on here on and off for weeks and you have been very harsh regarding any other brand except the ones you favor yet if anyone else recommends or sticks up for a brand they are accused of shamefully promoting their company. You simply cant have it both ways. I actually stopped visiting this forum when shellac was first launched as I was so sick of reading that Shellac was the best and dont anyone dare disagree. Shellac might be the best (this is not an attack on shellac as I use it in my salon) but others may rate other products higher, it is possible. Its the double standards that make me and many others sick. I know I will be shot down in flames but I could not care less. I would like this post to remain as my humble opinion is as valid as everyone else's.
As for the rest of you, love it or not cant SPM mascara be allowed to take its place in the beauty world and be given the time to do so?
I might not post very often as I only speak when I feel have something worth saying and I use the search button and can often have my questions answered that way.

Well I have watched these threads about SPM with great interest and cant believe what I have read.
Before anyone gets on their highhorse I am a normal beauty therapist, NOT I REPEAT NOT attached to any company what so ever nor have I trained in SPM I have however had a Cry Baby and lately a Myscara treatment done on myself.
I do think SPM given half a chance will do really well, yes its new and yes some therapists will be better than others at application but the venom that is spouting forth on here makes it sound like the work of the devil.
I had Cry Baby applied and it was so terrible I felt like crying like a baby. My lashes felt like they had been deep fried. I could go on for a whole page about my experience with my treatment that day but I am a grown up and I know that one bad therapist does not represent an entire company suffice to say I hated it. I tried myscara recently and there was simply no comparison. It looked great and I would have it done again. I have been wearing it for 3 weeks now and it has only just started to fade. Am I actually allowed to say that?
I personally feel this forum so so bias towards certain brands/products and the biggest problem is that if you dare to question one of the so called "golden products" you are told in a very round about way that you are an idiot (might not be those exact words but hey shoot me)
I am not surprised you were reported Geeg, I have been reading on here on and off for weeks and you have been very harsh regarding any other brand except the ones you favor yet if anyone else recommends or sticks up for a brand they are accused of shamefully promoting their company. You simply cant have it both ways. I actually stopped visiting this forum when shellac was first launched as I was so sick of reading that Shellac was the best and dont anyone dare disagree. Shellac might be the best (this is not an attack on shellac as I use it in my salon) but others may rate other products higher, it is possible. Its the double standards that make me and many others sick. I know I will be shot down in flames but I could not care less. I would like this post to remain as my humble opinion is as valid as everyone else's.
As for the rest of you, love it or not cant SPM mascara be allowed to take its place in the beauty world and be given the time to do so?
I might not post very often as I only speak when I feel have something worth saying and I use the search button and can often have my questions answered that way.

Here here I cant stand the slagging that goes on on here re certain products not just with spm but also nails etc . I am totally with you on this x

No one on this thread has slagged off any product just had a well rounded discussion until the venom started being spouted by the very person going on about venom spouting being so prevalent. For goodness sake. There was no need to start the vitriol now in this thread too is there?

Spm may have a place ... I have said that repeatedly ... There is room for all ... Said repeatedly ... My preference is my preference and I have given the reasons why ... I always give the reasons why. There are good and bad therapists doing every kind of treatment ... Said repeatedly. Not sure why Shellac had to get involved ( and there is no double standard as i NEVER break any site rules as i only post in Shellac threads when it has speifically been asked about first) in the discussion but at least it is a unique product for which as a nail therapist I am extremely grateful. Probably it is the uniqueness of CB that I like too. I am allowed to like the product I hope? I wasn't at any point touting it and I have no reason to tout it other than saying I like it. I have not once in this thread mentioned the name of another product other than the one i favour. Said my bit ... I'm out now. ... Have a nice evening and I hope others feel they can say what they think and if not, say it anyway as you have the right to free speech.

Last edited:
Maybe not on this thread but on plenty other threads certain products have been slagged time and time again. Everyone is entitled to like whatever brands of product they wish to but there is no need to be slagging off ones you either dont like for whhatever reason or dont use anyway I think there is plenty room for all these products on the market especially spm :)

My main reason for asking trainers, distributors etc... not to reply on this thread was so it would not get into a slanging match and that people could give their honest opinion :rolleyes:
Okay, so I don't know which part of 'can I only have replies from people who are not trainers/distributors etc...' the distributors did not understand.
If a distributor or trainer feel the need to reply to a specific post on this thread then can you just send that person a private message instead of promoting your eyelash curlers or whatever. Thankyou!

My main reason for asking trainers, distributors etc... not to reply on this thread was so it would not get into a slanging match and that people could give their honest opinion :rolleyes:
Okay, so I don't know which part of 'can I only have replies from people who are not trainers/distributors etc...' the distributors did not understand.
If a distributor or trainer feel the need to reply to a specific post on this thread then can you just send that person a private message instead of promoting your eyelash curlers or whatever. Thankyou!

Maybe they'll listen this time! :D When I said it I got an unprofessional snappy reply! Its great that you asked that cause everyone is being so honest and its showing the truth of how everyone finds it. All in all said I do still really like the product. I will just be careful who to sell it to x

As I previously said, great concept especially for somebody like me always rushing around.

An example of a couple of clients I went out and wasted my time patch testing this week is that they ended up not having it because one of them didn't listen and wiped the lashes later that evening with wipes therefore it came off! The other then decided that she wore too much other makeup around her eyes and that she was concerned that she would have too much else to remove around her eyes and therefore end up removing it when trying to remove the other eyemakeup!

Well I thought so too, Sheila but I believe my posts have been reported because the product I have said that I PERSONALLY PREFER is not the product that several have said is being rammed down everyones throats here on the site. Then it was, "how dare you comment as you have never tried the products" Hadn't I?? And the last time it was .. "I must have a deep dark motive to say I prefer another product" ... as if I was incapable of making up my own mind about something and telling the reasons WHY I have come to the conclusion I have. :D

You all know I am a technician and I like to be in control. One of the things I particularly like about Cry Baby SPM is that it is the original product many years in the making, both had and has the passion of the owners and innovators behind it and was completely and thorougly tested etc. before it went to market.

I like that you mix the Cry Baby formula yourself to create the look you want .. I am a creative person and the word creative defines who I am (no pun intended) so I love mixing and doing a custom service for people.

I also liked the result on my lashes but wasn't wowed by it ... as you say it looks like mascara ... it just stays on longer. I personally love the nebuliser that is used to dry the product and find the cold 'steam' very soothing and comfortable for the client; I think it is very cool and it places the product firmly in the professional category as my clients would not have this equipment at their disposal and would have to come to me for it. :D This is actually an important point to me and should be to others, I think. Perception is important. Of course the machine adds expense to the system but also makes it unique.

When any product bounces into the market very very quickly and 20 others soon follow close behind I think one should suspect that it is being brought in and labeled up and sold under different names (someone even commented in this thread about the look of the labels). Lets face it, not everyone is innovating their own individual brand spanking new formulas .. of course they are not. The innovators were Cry Baby and their application process is patented or patent pending (the custom mixing ) so it is obvious the next move if a competitor wanted to get into the market had to be a formula that was already mixed ... voila!! If you want to buy a ready mixed SPM to offer YOUR CLIENTS, then I think it would be safe to say that any one of the many will do the job for you ... but of course the choice is yours to make.

Am i reading what you are saying correctly, the innovators for SPM were Crybaby custom mixing and xagerate have just re-bottled it and stuck their own labels on it? I know Myscara is a preblended product

I remember reading your post and thinking omg she must have a big bank balance she just slandered another company and made false allegations about the products ingredients.

Everyone is entitle to their own opinions and everyone is entitle to give guidance and correct procedures when someone isnt doing it correctly, it ensures that the therapist is carrying out the correct procedure so the therapist doesnt invalidate their own insurance, which is good for the therapist.

I honestly thought this is what the site was about helping other therapist. But, it has popped up again you always seem to slag other products off and then start shoving your product down peoples throats. Makes me wonder who the real perpetrator is.

I would be really intersted to know how many sets therapists are doing before they start charging full price. This is a new technique and not and easy one , there is alot of skill involved in getting the curl right and making the correct application.

In EE it would be only after many sets that I would let one of my techs loose on a paying client -same applies to SPM

Am i reading what you are saying correctly, the innovators for SPM were Crybaby custom mixing and xagerate have just re-bottled it and stuck their own labels on it? I know Myscara is a preblended product

I remember reading your post and thinking omg she must have a big bank balance she just slandered another company and made false allegations about the products ingredients.

Everyone is entitle to their own opinions and everyone is entitle to give guidance and correct procedures when someone isnt doing it correctly, it ensures that the therapist is carrying out the correct procedure so the therapist doesnt invalidate their own insurance, which is good for the therapist.

I honestly thought this is what the site was about helping other therapist. But, it has popped up again you always seem to slag other products off and then start shoving your product down peoples throats. Makes me wonder who the real perpetrator is.

Rubbish. I never 'slagged off' as you so in-elegantly put it, anyone. Nor do I ever do that never mind repeatedly do it ... what nonsense. I never mentioned that anyone has copied Cry Baby or private labled it. So no, you were not reading my post correctly. Better read it again.

Having my own opinion is not disrespecting others' opinions. Try not to make an issue of it and keep a balance in what you are saying and the assumptions you are making.

Could we please move back to the original posters questions?

Do you think it was worthwhile training in SPM & were you happy with the training?

Geeg has the right to her opinions, as does anyone else, and she really shouldn't have to keep explaining her motives...she is a very valuable and extremely knowledgeable member of this forum and I think her opinion should be respected and valued...she would simply not post on something she is not informed about.

On another note....

Are people promoting this treatment to people who wear glasses? I would have thought this would be a good market to target...I know before my mum had her eyes lasered (sp?) she would have been all over this kind of treatment!!!!

Yet you have.
A friend of mine offered it and withdrew it more a less straight away.
I am confused as to why you would have it unless you really didnt have 30 secs in the morning.
In my humble opinion waterproof mascara would do the no smudge job.
Gx

Could we please move back to the original posters questions?

Geeg has the right to her opinions, as does anyone else, and she really shouldn't have to keep explaining her motives...she is a very valuable and extremely knowledgeable member of this forum and I think her opinion should be respected and valued...she would simply not post on something she is not informed about.

On another note....

Are people promoting this treatment to people who wear glasses? I would have thought this would be a good market to target...I know before my mum had her eyes lasered (sp?) she would have been all over this kind of treatment!!!!

Agree with everything said here. People with bad eyesight are a great market for this treatment as is anyone without a steady hand, I know lots of ladies who cannot apply their own product for various reasons.

Targeting your market is the key here, be totally honest and you will be fine. It is when therapists get carried away and promise all sorts of silly stuff that things go wrong and clients are disappointed.

Sadly this thread has turned into another slanging match. It is time to grow up ladies and let others have their opinions on things. This thread was started asking for opinions after all but not asking your opinion on someone else's opinion and then hijacking the thread altogether with personal comments. :cry:

This thread is one of the reasons I sometimes feel like giving up on Geek.

Angelina started this great thread with a very specific request and it was a question I think a lot of us had been interested in (but didn't ask as we knew how it would end up).

However, it is, yet again, degenerating into a general rubbishing of other brands and trainers posting despite being asked not to. (perhaps the trainers could answer any queries via PM)?

I can understand you being passionate about your product (and that's great) but, if you allow posters on here to discuss the product openly, surely, if it's really that good it will sell itself?

I read all of the SPM threads but have almost stopped contributing altogether as they are consistently hijacked by certain trainers promoting their own product (the same trainers who complained about other companies contacting potential trainees via PM if they asked about training).

Why can't the products be discussed in a professional manner then therapists be left to contact the companies they are interested in, in private?

I am also appalled at the way Geeg's post has been replied to. She is a highly valued member of this team. I'm sure if her preference was a different brand, the responses would have been totally different.

Luckily, she is an experienced geek and is confident enough to defend her points. I know from the amount of pm's I get, there are lots of newer geeks who just don't post their opinions or questions on this product as they know what sort of response they will get

I'm actually quite sad as this forum has so many positives but this is just ruining it for me at the moment :cry:

Last edited:
I agree Elaine. I very nearly closed this thread yesterday as yet again it was going the same way as so many other threads on this subject. I understand that distributors and trainers want to defend their product but I did specifically ask that they did not reply on this thread and I was hoping that they would respect this decision.
I've also mentioned on this thread that if they feel the need to reply to a certain post then they can pm the person in question.
It's all very well pm'ing me saying that people will think they don't care if they don't reply but nobody is going to think that when I specifically asked for replies from non-trainers etc...
In fact I've had more messages from people that are annoyed that the request was ignored and replies are being posted regardless. This is having a negative effect for the trainers so is doing them no favours!
It is sad that we can not have a good discussion without people constantly trying to advertise their products and this was the whole point of this thread.
I hope we can get back to having a discussion about our experiences with SPM without any of the squabbles.
It's like being in a playground sometimes!

I agree Elaine. I very nearly closed this thread yesterday as yet again it was going the same way as so many other threads on this subject. I understand that distributors and trainers want to defend their product but I did specifically ask that they did not reply on this thread and I was hoping that they would respect this decision.
I've also mentioned on this thread that if they feel the need to reply to a certain post then they can pm the person in question.
It's all very well pm'ing me saying that people will think they don't care if they don't reply but nobody is going to think that when I specifically asked for replies from non-trainers etc...
In fact I've had more messages from people that are annoyed that the request was ignored and replies are being posted regardless. This is having a negative effect for the trainers so is doing them no favours!
It is sad that we can not have a good discussion without people constantly trying to advertise their products and this was the whole point of this thread.
I hope we can get back to having a discussion about our experiences with SPM without any of the squabbles.
It's like being in a playground sometimes!

Actually, I never experienced anything like this in a playground!! :eek: But I know what you mean and the majority of this thread is a good discussion and I think it was and is a really good question as many are having second thoughts or at least thinking things through maybe a little more seriously before they make their decision as to whether or not to offer this system.

Your thread, Angelina, has had more views than any other thread in the skin geek category than any other recently by miles!! It certainly is a question plenty are thinking about!

Good point about the people who don't see well enough to be able to put on their eye makeup. That is a clever marketing idea if you have older clients. I have many friends here where I live that look terrible around their eyes after ther attempts to do it themselves who might be quite excited about the advantages of a 2-3 week longevity of their mascara. Certainly going to pinch that idea, Jenny! :lol:

Last edited:
Actually I just thought, this might be good to offer to clients who have had botox.
My therapist had botox a couple of weeks ago and it is fab. Problem is, she can't actually lift her eyelid now.
When she puts her mascara on she gets it all over her lid and then has to wipe it all off after.
She goes out after work on a Thursday so she applies her make-up before she goes out. I sat there laughing at her last week with mascara all over her lids. :idea:

Actually I just thought, this might be good to offer to clients who have had botox.
My therapist had botox a couple of weeks ago and it is fab. Problem is, she can't actually lift her eyelid now.
When she puts her mascara on she gets it all over her lid and then has to wipe it all off after.
She goes out after work on a Thursday so she applies her make-up before she goes out. I sat there laughing at her last week with mascara all over her lids. :idea:

This made me laugh so much! Hadn't thought about those. I wonder how many other funny reasons there would be to use this product! :lol:

I had a removal yesterday, the client's lashes where so naturally curley so the product looked amazing on them. She said she loved them for the first few weeks but then tey got annoying when the started to break down. She said their great for holidays but wouldn't wear them all the time. I find this is a mutual feeling with a lot of other clients who like it!

Latest posts

Back