How are you all really finding semi-permanent mascara!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think it was worthwhile training in SPM & were you happy with the training?

• Yes I think it is worthwhile and I was happy with the training.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • Yes Yes I think it is worthwhile but I was not happy with the training.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Yes I think it is worthwhile but wish I had trained with another company

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • No I wish I hadn't done the training

Votes: 37 41.6%

• Total voters
For me this is the key , its all about the price point along with client expectation. SPM is a nice treatment but needs to be offered at a reasonable price and the only way we can do this is if they trg/kit reflects this .

tireeteam - agreee completley with your comments - obviously salon need to take other costs into consideration xx

Oh I hate the curler too! I just can't use it so I dug out my heated eyelash curler and it was broke! Going to get another lash curler and use that as I just can't get a curl with their one.
It doesn't coat all the way to the bottom of the lashes but you can put some of the mixture of your tool (the opposite end to the scoop) and stroke it on the lashes.
I also struggle with short bottom lashes.
I want some mini mini mascara brushes-lol
I'm going to do a couple more models and try doing the bottom lashes with some disposable plastic combs that I use for LVL treatments and see if that's any better.

Hi for bottom lashes super fine micro-brushes are great (the ones used with primer) and preferred with most people, lets you get a more exact application, hope that helps xx

Hello!

Firstly I found the curlers that come with the kit rubbish...
X

Well have to say that I have found the MYscara curlers equally rubbish! Thought it was me not using them properly but hey it is not that hard to use just rubbish!

Did get a great result on lashes I previously permed though. Think MYscara are changing their training manual so that if lashes are fit that you can MYscara straight after a perm although still not sure about this one!

I had contacted to you to say you could return them and we can replace them if you thought they were faulty. I use them day in and out and they are the best heated eyelash curlers I have found and I have tried loads. I'm sorry that you are not happy with them but if you dont return them I have no way to know if they are faulty. x
Well have to say that I have found the MYscara curlers equally rubbish! Thought it was me not using them properly but hey it is not that hard to use just rubbish!

Did get a great result on lashes I previously permed though. Think MYscara are changing their training manual so that if lashes are fit that you can MYscara straight after a perm although still not sure about this one!

The tip will change from red to white when the get to the correct temperature. There is a technique to using them, you also have to work over the lashes up to x10 times depending on the lashes to get the desired curl. Manual curlers usually give a kink in the lashes that make MYscara difficult to apply. If you still want to use them give me a quick call or email and I will run through xx

Had the treatment as a pre-cursor to booking the training and seriously unimpressed!!!!!

Invested my money in Shellac instead .. Yes I know I'm miles behind everyone else but had to ponder for ages on whether it would be in competition with Bio Sculpture.

Jacqui xx

jacqueliananna, can I ask why you were not impressed? which make did you go with?

I really feel for those who have invested in spm and not getting great results they were hoping for , perhaps just needs to be marketed in a different way - i guess most clients want a dramatic look for £25+ which can only really be achieved with ele and their expectations ar therefore too muh

Lashes not curled but straight and slightly clumped and one eye that kept sticking.

If I had put my mascara on and it looked like that I would have removed it and started again.

Jacqui xx

Hi I use MYscara and I personnaly really like it for people like myself I have two kids one 7 and one 3, I never have time to put make-up on so the MYscara looks great (like I have made effort!), however I make sure that anyone booking fully understands that it will not make their lashes look like they have lash extensions (if you are not overly clear I feel people are under whelmed), it lasts most customers around 2 weeks (I would not top up either, looks better reapplied) and this is what I state, also agree that treatment cost needs to be £20/£25. I like it and think it will be popular for people like me that don't wear loads of make-up anyway (I have done four/five coats on a couple of ladies and it was horrible). I like the curlers too, so maybe you should return them and try a new pair just in case:biggrin:. On the whole I like it, put feel training is over priced. (I also use the eyepad to hold the upper lashes up which I find much kinder than tape)

Annie XX

I love the curlers :) but as Louise says it takes time to get a good curl - but well worth it- I find it makes a huge difference when u compare the first curled lash with an uncurled one!

In general I have had great feedback but also I've had the odd one that it didn't agree with and had to remove.

I too feel it's around a £20- £25 treatment and it means I can do specials if done with other treatments eg £20 if done with nails - I too am mobile.

All in all it fits in with my mobile nails and is working out for me exactly as I wanted it to.
:)

I also wanted to add that the initial outlay/return is excellent - over 2 months now and I'm still using my training kit :)

I probably got my initial outlay back in the first 2-3 weeks!

Elaine xx

Great Thread Angelina,

I was getting so tired of the trainers from certain companies ambushing EVERY query that was posted about SP Mascara.

It's great to get some opinions from therapists rather than the trainers trying to constantly push their own product.

I've trained in CryBaby and am happy with it. I did have some issues but I have recently gone back to the company and have had all my issues resolved.

I am enthusiastic again about the benefits of SPM (I was previously comparing it to Lash extensions but they are 2 completely different treatments and need to be sold as such).

I also think you have to be realistic with clients expectations. It was being sold as 3 week mascara. Adds length, curl and volume. But it wont add anything different to that of normal mascara. The only benefit is that it lasts longer.

I don't think it will set the beauty world alight in the way we originally thought but I think it's a good add-on for therapists (especially those who gain a lot of business from Lash & Brow Treatments as it just adds another option for clients).

I'm finding this thread very usefull. I'm looking into doing spm training but haven't decided who to go with. Unless I've missed a post seems like you've all gone with myscara or cry baby. Anyone done xaggerate?

Also what qualifications have you got to have to do spm?

Thanks ladies x

Wearing Xaggerate now and it is fabulous!:wink2:

has anybody tried lashcoat? im looking into this one and would like to know how it compares to the others.

Hi just thought i would give my 2ps worth but it is from a customers view. I personally wouldnt dream of having it done again. Although the look is quite effective my lashes felt rock hard and as a result they have driven me crazy. It was crybaby that was applied.

My clients with long lashes love it, my clients with short lashes...not so much. I had one client with beautiful long lashes that didnt like the feel of it and had it off the next day, such a shame! I do really like the product but i find it only looks amazing on people with amazing lashes!:Love:

I was about to train in semi permanent mascara, but have now changed my mind .. not just because of this thread although it planted the seed of doubt, but because I had it applied couple days ago and was not impressed at all with the results - it looks far too thick and clumpy and I am actually aware I am wearing something on my lashes, it really bothers me and in fact I think I'm going to have it removed
im trained in makeup and as another poster said if I'd applied regular mascara to a client and the results looked like this - I'd remove it straight away
I was also bit put off by the therapist who actually said 'ive never done anyone with long lashes like you, I'm not sure if its supposed to come out like this!' :0
Perhaps I had a bad experience with this particular therapisr, I paid £30 but to be honest I'd rather have spent the money on couple decent mascaras from dior .. personally cant see what the benefits are - it takes no time at all to apply and remove mascara. dont know what i was expecting really, all I know if I personally wouldnt be happy offering this service to my clients but I'm happy its working well for others ;)

Last edited:
If it was thick and clumpy then it simply wasn't applied properly at all. I can't feel mine on and to the touch it feels just like regular mascara.

I think the consultation is the most important thing here. It is essential to explain to the client that this is mascara, it will look like mascara and feel like mascara, the only difference is that it will have to be professionally applied and removed. I think there are too many therapists not making it clear to clients that it will not make their eyelashes look like extensions and that if they are not used to wearing mascara then it may not be for them. I think also that sometimes therapists don't want to put the client off so don't give the full information for fear of them declining the treatment. I would rather turn someone away than have an unhappy client whose expectations of the treatment were not met.:wink2:

Latest posts

Back