How can I change this ????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry's Nails

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
Well as my story goes, there was a WONDERFUL nail tech here who has recently retired to a new profession. This Tech only used L&P - she was FANTASTIC (I have even had my nails done by her, and she truely works miracles). Anyway, since she has left the business my bookings have sky rocketed - which is fantastic, and so far I have been able to change her L&P clients to Gel. I get phone calls every day from ladies that live in other town wanting to know about my nails.
OK - heres the problem.
There is another lady in town that only uses L&P, her name is also KERRY. She has only come out of the woodwork since this other L&P tech has left. She also works from home. (Like me)
My lovely model, and practice hand (mature lady) Rhonda - (my walking advertisement) - came to see me the other day and said that she gets so many lovely comments on her nails (shes still wearing mosaic overlays that I pictured for critique) - anyway- she was talking to a lady who said "oh, Kerry's work is crap" "shes no good" - "she did a wedding other day and bride was in tears because of her nails"
I nearlly fell off my chair - as I do quiet a few brides. Why would someone talk like that about me, and not call if they had a problem.:eek:
Rhonda then explained that she had to correct this woman and say that her tech was a different Kerry. And then explained the difference between L&P and Gel to her.
Here's where I ask for advice - How do I approach this situation with new potential clientelle who are calling me. Unaware of what has been said by the other ladies clients (up until now), I explain over the phone to potential clients that I do not apply acrylic nails and explain my system of gels in a manner that could be understood over the phone. Some ladies that phone me say "I heard you do acrylics" Obviously salons are referring ladies to me (which I am excited about) and also the other Kerry. If people are talking about the other Kerry's work like that it wont take long to get around town (how do I tell people its not me). I have given some salons my cards of which only have my full name on it and NOT 'kerry's nails', my card also says "For all your gel nail enhancements" (which explains what I do) and both my after hours numbers. So on paper and by word of mouth the only difference between both us Kerry's is our surnames and the fact I do gel and she does L&P.
WHAT DO I DO ??????? I dont want people confusing us, and definately not bad mouthing my work (if its not mine in the first place), and I dont want to be bad mouthing her work either. :cry:
OHHHHH I am so going to do a refresher course in L&P :irked:
Thanks in advance for any advice :hug:

maybe give your business a name eg nice nails etc rather thanyour name
if shes that crap she ll not last long

Yep I would use a business name rather then my name or Get in the habit of using your full name when you answer the phone and for new addies
I answer, Purrfect Claws Susie speaking how can I help?
But if she really is rubbish I wouldn't worry to much because she won't be around for very long.
Keep doing it your way, volume of customers says you are doing it right:hug:

How about a nice gel nail picture on your card - so peeps can see for themselves at the start.
Just a thought...............

yep id go with the business name. OR why dont you just use your full name. make sure everything says

"GEL NAIL ENHANCEMENTS BY KERRY WHATEVERYOURSURNAMEIS"

People around you will soon get to know there are 2 Kerrys so make sure everyone knows which one you are.
I don't know about where you live mate but around here word travels pretty quick so try not to worry too much and make sure everyone you know uses your surname in future and add it to your business cards x

How about a nice gel nail picture on your card - so peeps can see for themselves at the start.
Just a thought...............

Thanks to you all for your very fast responses. I do however have a generic picture on my cards I get my stationary made through Vistaprint. I am planning on getting a business name (waiting to do refresher course first, then i can also advertise L&p) - but I still think that people in this town will call us by our first names.

call yourself the good amazing brilliant kerry lol.

How about.............

drum roll please...............

Killer-Kerry, she delivers drop-dead nails :green:

(or ",she delivers killer nails" or ",she delivers killer-claws" or "KIller Kerry's Killer-Claws")

NOW, I have absolutely NO IDEA why that popped into my mind (could be it's after my bedtime, like 12:49am and my mind is warped) so please don't hold me accountable for that slogan tomorrow and the bizarreness of it
:lol:

but you gotta admit........ who's gonna forget the "killer" part???:lol:
CERTAINLY memorable:green:

nothing much more to add apart from goodluck:hug: Just concentrate on producing even better nails than your last client..each and everytime. Dont let this other Kerry distract u from that..and also as important dont talk about her to your clients.

Hi Hun,
I really think you should use your full name, along with a short cute business name, and always answer you phone with either business name or full name, both if its not too much. I rent salon space above a hairdressers, If I answer the phone when they are busy, I have to say the full salon name( which has the owner's name in it) and who I am. Then no confusion. Best of luck, she won't last long if she is so bad. Lotsa luv x

I would change the business name if it was me, and not use Kerry in the title if it looks like there could be some confusion.

She won't be around all that long if she's rubbish though.

Latest posts

Back