How do you deal with cell phones, laptops while working

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseDavidNailDesign

Reaction score
I'm noticing lately, that so many people are addicted to checking their cell phone, texting, facebooking etc. while I'm working on them.

I understand people are busy, and I understand they need to make money to be able to come see me. And I want them to enjoy themselves and not feel like they're in school when they visit me.

Well, one has now taken to bringing her laptop while I do her nails. The temporary solution I've come up with, is to just work with one hand at a time. Prep, application and finishing (minus UV sealer) one complete hand and then switching, so she still has one hand free. She can handle two minutes curing the top coat.

Should I have to deal with this? Am I asking too much to have their undivided attention for 90 minutes?

Is anyone else experiencing this phenomenon? It seems people have the attention span of a gnat anymore!!

Last edited:
Sorry but this is ridiculous! How are you expected to work like this?
A phone - ok we can kind of deal with but a laptop is taking the micky a bit!
I would say something like ' I am really sorry but I am going to have to ask you to put your laptop to one side just while I finish your nails'
I had this problem with mobile phones and I find it so rude! Just have to tell them straight huni i'm affraid x

I think this is rude! I don't mind clients answering their phones but to bring your laptop is just rude! I wouldn't have the room and another point would be if anything happened to the laptop would your insurance cover it? I can imagine all sorts of problems with this aspect, if something got spilled or if she dropped it when switching hands.

I would just tell them that there is no room and that you are not covered for this.

It started with a phone call ,

"I'm so sorry but I forgot about a conference call, can I bring my laptop, I need to watch the presentation too. Otherwise I have to cancel"

Being the good natured, easy going (pushover) that I am, I made it work. I moved my gel lamp and made room.

Now it has become a fixture and we're checking emails, and looking at our pictures, etc.

I have to say, it's a small one, I don't know the brand but they just came out last year. Hopefully she'll buy an iPad!

Anyway, It is quite annoying and disrespectful. And it has to have an effect on the quality of the nails, and my body mechanics.

I like the idea of blaming it on "my concern about the safety of the laptop" And I just thought of this, other clients can see her!! And they'll think it's OK :Scared:

Mind made up! It has to stop!

It started with a phone call ,

"I'm so sorry but I forgot about a conference call, can I bring my laptop, I need to watch the presentation too. Otherwise I have to cancel"

Being the good natured, easy going (pushover) that I am, I made it work. I moved my gel lamp and made room.

Now it has become a fixture and we're checking emails, and looking at our pictures, etc.

I have to say, it's a small one, I don't know the brand but they just came out last year. Hopefully she'll buy an iPad!

Have to say, it is quite annoying and disrespectful. And it has to have an effect on the quality of the nails, and my body mechanics.

I like the idea of blaming it on "my concern about the safety of the laptop" And I just thought of this, other clients can see her!! And they'll think it's OK :Scared:

Mind made up! It has to stop!

You could try a general note or sign saying 'Due to company insurance policy, customer electrical devices (such as mobile phones, laptops etc) must not be used in the salon.' That doesnt sound right but you get the idea.

It is rude and makes your job more difficult. It takes me more time doing one hand start to finish and then the other too so that would bother me too.

Hope you get it all sorted without too many sulks or tantrums from you're net surfing addicts :D

Ok, laptops aside, what do you all think about the cell phone?

With teens, and young women, it's out of control. I actually feel bad for them, they're so obsessed!

I do one hand at a time with them too. Do you think I'm encouraging the behaviour? Or adjusting my service to reflect the times?

It maybe adds 15 minutes to my service.

You could try a general note or sign saying 'Due to company insurance policy, customer electrical devices (such as mobile phones, laptops etc) must not be used in the salon.' That doesnt sound right but you get the idea.

It is rude and makes your job more difficult. It takes me more time doing one hand start to finish and then the other too so that would bother me too.

Hope you get it all sorted without too many sulks or tantrums from you're net surfing addicts :D

That's a good idea, but it's not my salon. And I don't think it would go over with the owners very well.

seriously what if you knocked any sort of product over and it went on their laptop who would this client blame n yes its very rude to expect you to put up with this

Good thread ... I had someone talking through the massage couch hole on his mobile whilst doing a back neck and shoulder massage!

Another client lowered the volume of my radio so she could speak to a family member on her mobile phone!

You've actually drawn my attention to this subject and I've actually become quite cross, lol.

What really is the point of coming for a treatment and toying with your gadgets whilst doing so? Should we put a no mobile/laptop notice up?

IMHO, I think it's rude and inconsiderate to you and other clients. If someone can't go a short amount of time without using their cell (or similar device) then the world has gone mad. What did folks do 20 years ago when no one had a cell?

I would post a sign: Pampering in progess, please no cell phones.

Now...if it's an EMERGENCY, that's different.

Best of luck to you! :)

seriously what if you knocked any sort of product over and it went on their laptop who would this client blame n yes its very rude to expect you to put up with this

Excellent point!

If a client puts their mobile phone,ipod etc on my desk while I'm working on their hands they get told that I can't be held responible for any damage caused to it.
It usually works and the item gets droped into a bag or pocket straight away.
:hug:

lol del perfect way to put it sometimes i,d like to spill something on their phones and just say "oh whoops" but ya cant can ya

lol del perfect way to put it sometimes i,d like to spill something on their phones and just say "oh whoops" but ya cant can ya

Hmmm can't ya???:twisted::wink2::D
:hug:

funny !!!!! x

Last edited:
i would not put up with this at all.

Put up a sign like the lady said above.

If they dont like it then they dont get the treatment.

its meant to be a time for relaxing.

dont have it!

x

Oh no. I do have a sign in the salon "please respect the clients who are having relaxing treatments ". Ask them to switch their phones cause therapists get annoyed if it's loud while they doing facials. Most of my clients are ok with it unless they expecting urgent call which is not often. I would not put up with a laptop as I work on both hands and I would not want them collecting fluff or whatever on the gels (don't do many l&p).
I have a client who brings bacon roll with her or nuts or othe nonsense and I just leave her there before i start to finish it. Also ihave a woman who likes to share her YouTube discoveries with me while I do nails. It's all fine if you are not back to back. But when it's tight timewise I an usually honest with them and kindly ask not to do those things. They tend to understand.

Just thinking , imagine if you took your laptop or a bacon roll to the dentist ! Funny)))

Oh no. I do have a sign in the salon "please respect the clients who are having relaxing treatments ". Ask them to switch their phones cause therapists get annoyed if it's loud while they doing facials. Most of my clients are ok with it unless they expecting urgent call which is not often. I would not put up with a laptop as I work on both hands and I would not want them collecting fluff or whatever on the gels (don't do many l&p).
I have a client who brings bacon roll with her or nuts or othe nonsense and I just leave her there before i start to finish it. Also ihave a woman who likes to share her YouTube discoveries with me while I do nails. It's all fine if you are not back to back. But when it's tight timewise I an usually honest with them and kindly ask not to do those things. They tend to understand.

Just thinking , imagine if you took your laptop or a bacon roll to the dentist ! Funny)))

I'm so glad I don't have many of those, but I hate when people want to eat while I'm doing a service. Disgusting!

I feel for you Nataliya, I can just picture her greasy , bacon-y fingers into the UV Lamp.

I need a smiley face for throwing up!

I'm so glad I don't have many of those, but I hate when people want to eat while I'm doing a service. Disgusting!

I feel for you Nataliya, I can just picture her greasy , bacon-y fingers into the UV Lamp.

I need a smiley face for throwing up!

Oh dear. I would have to get new bloody light ))) we should put a sign like on the bus. No dogs, no food and no technology on the premises)) haha

Ok, laptops aside, what do you all think about the cell phone?

With teens, and young women, it's out of control. I actually feel bad for them, they're so obsessed!

I do one hand at a time with them too. Do you think I'm encouraging the behaviour? Or adjusting my service to reflect the times?

It maybe adds 15 minutes to my service.

15 minutes = extra charge to my way of thinking!! But I wouldn't allow it in the first place.

Yes, I think you are encouraging the use of cell phones if you are allowing them to be used during a service. Not only is it RUDE, it is insulting, disrespectful and DISMISSIVE of you as a person ... as if you are just a servant and not worth the attention or talking to. Outrageous way to treat a person.

I wouldn't allow cell phones either as the people using them can't keep their hands still when they are talking on them. It is not asking too much I feel to ignore, put on silent or switch off the cell during an appointment. Any other beauty service would not allow it.

As for EATING?? Near chemical dust and vapours? NO WAY.

Latest posts

Back