How do you paint the white tip in a french polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsR

Reaction score
Finding it so fiddley to paint the white tip on a french manicure, especially on people with short nails -any tips?

Here's a good one by nailzoo

YouTube - French Polish

bit trickier on short nails i find a cocktail stick with a bit of cotton wool on the end dipped in nail varnish remover helps when you inevitably get in on the skin with short nails.

I know lots of geeks use an 'old brush' with nailfresh to tidy up too.

Thanks hun, with short nails would you go horizontally with a line or keep the same method as above?

Try turning the nail (by rolling their finger) more than your brush and apply from one side to the other. The first coat should be barely visible then follow the line you made on the first coat for the second coat. :hug: Essies marshmallow is forgiving for first time french polishers :hug: I am mainly doing french on shorter natural nails so would not be able to use nailzoos technique even though it looks good for longer nails.

I find the shorter the free edge the easier it is to paint. One swipe and its done. I use my wrist to turn the finger and my brush stays virtually in the same place.

The faster you work the easier and better it flows. It is all described in 'nailclass' the book on nail techniques.

I would never be without Nailfresh and a detail brush to make everything clean and perfect. Cotton wool and an orange stick just isn't precise enough for me and there is always a stray bit of fibre to go and drag and ruin what you started.

Last edited:
Hi Mrs R

I use a striper pen! Works every time!

Just got the nailclass book its great, theres great hints and tips in there that will help you with any problem .try it.x

Hi Mrs R

I use a striper pen! Works every time!
I too use this when doing a french to give me my guide line then i use normal enamel,
a striper pen is the small bottles of polish with a long thin brush at one end and a pen devise at the other end hth

Going off on a tangent, "Nailclass" is the most valuable part of my kit! It is so hard to remember everything when you first qualify and reading the tips before doing my L&P treatments has given me bags of newfound confidence. Going back to the original question about the french polish app- try rocking the finger as you paint the tip as it keeps your painting hand steady and almost still.

i always go across the nail first to create the smile line.
then usually across again on the second coat, sometimes in short strokes down the tip if i need to.

however when using white gel, i do it in short strokes down the tip. never across.

I paint it from one side to the other...

it's a wrist move, once you got it it's a kind of signature

Well have one for tonight at 9:30pm straight after my late shift at work! Practiced yesterday on myself and was a disaster so dreading later! Her nails aren't long like mine so dreading it even more!

I used to literally FEAR doing French Manicures with polish.

I tried everything in the book, including striper pens and nothing seemed to work.

Then I started using Nail Fresh and a cheap curved gel brush and the fear literally dissapeared :lol: Nail Fresh is a miracle product to tidy up your smile lines or any other polish related mistakes that you might make.

Another lesson I learned was to obviously try and work as neatly as you can, but if you get some varnish on the skin, it's no big deal ! Just clean it off with a orange stick and some cotton wool when you're done.

The client will be more concerned about a clean and tidy finished look than the fact that you got some varnish on her skin whilst doing it.

Good luck with tonight :hug:

M.

Well have one for tonight at 9:30pm straight after my late shift at work! Practiced yesterday on myself and was a disaster so dreading later! Her nails aren't long like mine so dreading it even more!
can't you try with a striper brush?

how long are they?

for months i tried to create the perfect french polish white..tried everything(i have a bit of an unsteady hand due to arthritis in naggy finger) till i used a nail tip ..turn it over and use it as a guide..there was another tip on a thread recently about drawing the smile line on and following the curve can't seem to find who it was but it works.

someone to practice on or a client?

I find practicing on myself was the best way to do it!!

Latest posts

Back