How do you pick up your gems?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the replies, she's text me to say that she seems to remember it may have been from creativenailplace?? well wherever it came from it was brilliant, it was a little square plastic pot almost like the bottom of an eyeshadow pot without the lid filled with kinda hard waxy gummy stuff :lol: it was bloody brill and i'm going on the hunt for one :lol::lol:

when you find it...let me know...:green:

i always just dip my cocktail stick in the barbicide jar!!

Whilst on the subject of attaching gems, can I ask who uses adhesive, and who places them on wet enamel? Also, do you cover with a coat of clear? I have some lovely star shaped gems, but when you put clear over them it dulls the corners so they look more like flowers if that makes sense.

I stick mine on with adhesive as they stay on better and I rarely coat them with top coat as imo it detracts from the sparkle :hug:

get a stick of uncooked spaghetti, use about 3", wet one end and it will pick up stone after stone after stone.
when it stops picking up, wet it again, it gives just enough stickiness to pick up the stone, yet releases the stone when it comes in contact with the nail.

fab idea - ill try that one...

i use bluetac, on the end of a stick

:irked: Can't find it anywhere :irked:

Gonna contact creativenailplace tommorow and see if they still have them

i just use an orange stick and a wee bit blu tac on end ..
but hey a new inventive name for a picker upper ...spit n stick :lol: sorryyy couldn't resist...j xx

I apply a blob of top coat where the gem is going to be placed, then touch it lightly with an orange wood stick & then pick up the gem. It works fine. I also have the blu tack twizzled to a fine point on the end of a stick too, which is just as good.

I find that if I use proper crystals (swarovski) and cover them with topcoat, they never loose their sparkle, but the plastic gems do, as they don't have enough facets cut into them and a sweep over them with top coat dull them immediately, so I tend to apply these onto the top of my UV top coat before I put the hand in the lamp - they stay on & stay sparkly.

I have found sometimes that adhesive can melt the backing and then that looses the sparkle, so I don't use it anymore.

I find that if I use proper crystals (swarovski) and cover them with topcoat, they never loose their sparkle, but the plastic gems do, as they don't have enough facets cut into them and a sweep over them with top coat dull them immediately, so I tend to apply these onto the top of my UV top coat before I put the hand in the lamp - they stay on & stay sparkly.

The thing i find is that as they are more prone to little knocks that the top coat starts to chip off them and on my own nails I can see that. Detracts from the sparkle for me but I am way too fussy at times I think.

Have wondered if shapes other than round can be bought in swarovski? I dont like the plastic ones and dont use them, would definately be more adventurous if shapes are out there though! :hug:

^I think you can find square ones in swarowski, but I can't remember well for now.

and I usually put a smaaaaaaaall wet bead of clear l&p where I wanna put the gem, then with my wet brush I pick it and place it and it stays forever.

Grrrr :mad: Still havn't found it and havn't been able to contact creativenail place, tried e-mailing them this morning and not had a reply yet :irked: and sods law their phones are down at the mo :rolleyes:
I had a go with the blue tac and spaghetti method but their just not as good as this gummy stuff (imo)

The thing i find is that as they are more prone to little knocks that the top coat starts to chip off them and on my own nails I can see that. Detracts from the sparkle for me but I am way too fussy at times I think.

Have wondered if shapes other than round can be bought in swarovski? I dont like the plastic ones and dont use them, would definately be more adventurous if shapes are out there though! :hug:[/quote]

just thought id say that i have a tooth fairy, toothgem account and all their gems are swarvskoski, and personally i think suitable for nail art!
they do lots of different shapes and colours..
you can buy them at the shows, in the beauty book or direct from them....
definately charge extra though.......xxxxx

Latest posts

Back