How do you pick up your gems?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherubs

Reaction score
Sorry about the title, I couldn't think of anything else :o My friend has this little pot of gummy stuff that she got for picking up gems etc, you poke your cocktail stick (or whatever u use) into it and it makes the end sticky so you can pick up gems easily, she can't remember what it's called or where she got it from (she's had it ages) but it was from a nail site on the internet.

Any ideas??

It's really good btw!!

I would like to know where to get it too...:)

I had a tooth-gems kit a few years ago, & in it came a tiny pot of petroleum jely (vaseline).

Just 'dip' your birchwood stick in the jelly, & hey presto, you have a sticky stick! lol
It works a treat. :)

I dab my tool into a tiny amount of clear or topcoat polish. It's just enough to make it tacky as it starts to dry so quickly and not leave anything on the gems.

get a stick of uncooked spaghetti, use about 3", wet one end and it will pick up stone after stone after stone.
when it stops picking up, wet it again, it gives just enough stickiness to pick up the stone, yet releases the stone when it comes in contact with the nail.

get a stick of uncooked spaghetti, use about 3", wet one end and it will pick up stone after stone after stone.
when it stops picking up, wet it again, it gives just enough stickiness to pick up the stone, yet releases the stone when it comes in contact with the nail.

This is what i do...I have a little cotton pad that i have wet with water and use that to wet the cocktail stick.

how about a little bit of bluetack on the end of an orange stick??

Or a bit of Blu Tac either on its own on on the end of a stick. You can make it as pointed and tiny as you need and lasts for ever, just re-mould it

spit and an orangewood stick :rolleyes:???

spit and an orangewood stick :rolleyes:???[/quote

:lol::lol::lol: thats what i do at home for my tips board, but would not do in front of a client, would be easier though :):)

NSI do a 'picker-upper' (yes, it's really called that!) which is excellent. I couldn't be without mine. It's got a slightly sticky pad on either end of it so you just touch the gem and it picks it up. One of the sticky pads is slightly bigger than the other, for using the bigger gems. Hope this helps x

Spit and cocktail stick if im doing my own,blu tack and cocktail stick if its a client.:lol:

This is what i do...I have a little cotton pad that i have wet with water and use that to wet the cocktail stick.

lol i do this also_Or i use a cocktail stick with bluetack on the end.x

I'm glad I came across this thead. I'm tearing my hair out with my picer-upper from NSI. I've only had it a month or so and its not sticky any more. I was about to order a new one but I think I will invest in cocktail sticks and vaseline.

Whilst on the subject of attaching gems, can I ask who uses adhesive, and who places them on wet enamel? Also, do you cover with a coat of clear? I have some lovely star shaped gems, but when you put clear over them it dulls the corners so they look more like flowers if that makes sense.

I'm glad I came across this thead. I'm tearing my hair out with my picer-upper from NSI. I've only had it a month or so and its not sticky any more. I was about to order a new one but I think I will invest in cocktail sticks and vaseline.

Whilst on the subject of attaching gems, can I ask who uses adhesive, and who places them on wet enamel? Also, do you cover with a coat of clear? I have some lovely star shaped gems, but when you put clear over them it dulls the corners so they look more like flowers if that makes sense.

I use wet enamel...I have a feeling the vaseline would be a problem with a top coat x

i dip my stick into a bit of clear nail varnish to get the gems to stick, does the job

Thanks for all the replies, she's text me to say that she seems to remember it may have been from creativenailplace?? well wherever it came from it was brilliant, it was a little square plastic pot almost like the bottom of an eyeshadow pot without the lid filled with kinda hard waxy gummy stuff :lol: it was bloody brill and i'm going on the hunt for one :lol::lol:

NSI do a 'picker-upper' (yes, it's really called that!) which is excellent. I couldn't be without mine. It's got a slightly sticky pad on either end of it so you just touch the gem and it picks it up. One of the sticky pads is slightly bigger than the other, for using the bigger gems. Hope this helps x

I bought one of those from ebay but now one end does not pick up properly???:confused:

Latest posts

Back