How do you use nail foil?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali_d2003

Reaction score
Found this foil in the salon supplies didn't realise what it was when I picked it up know its for nail art but not sure how you use it sorry if this sounds dumb ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1377042341.191803.jpg

They come in a huge range of colours and designs. The plain side sticks to a foil adhesive (or inhibition layer of gel) and when you pull it off it transfers to the nail. Hope that makes sense x

It's normally used with a UV polish like Shellac. Once you have cured the colour coat you apply it to the inhibition layer and rub with a pad to get it to adhere to the "sticky" layer. If you add the Irresistible Nail Art group on Facebook the lovely ladies at Irresistible have added a great video demonstrating applying foils to Shellac xxx

did these last night on shellac blackpool with different coloured foils x

Attachments

• foil.jpg
    foil.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 779
I think I did these over Hollywood xImageUploadedBySalonGeek1377071770.975592.jpg

Brilliant thanks a lot must give it a go so :)

Just to add you can use for full coverage or for a crackle effect. For crackle effect just lightly dab and quickly remove it from the inhibition layer of your shellac, gelish etc. For full coverage apply a piece over the nail, on to the inhibition layer then using a lint free pad really rub it onto the nail, getting in around the sides cuticle area etc then when you remove it should be perfect full coverage. If you are wanting full coverage a good tip is to use a colour that is close to the colour of the foil so if there are any bits missing its not a noticeable xx

Thanks a lot I can't wait to give these a go :)

You can use them with regular polish as well Ali, but you need to use a special foil glue with them. Basically do your base coat, 2 colour coats, let them dry a while, then swipe your foil glue over, its like a bluey-white colour and as that dries clear stick the foil on and rub like the ladies said above. I find them much easier to use with Shellac but its useful to have them for regular polishes as well, that's if you have any regular polishers left! X

I have a glue for something like the foil it was a lace print but don't know would it work for the foil can give it a go, thanks for this must have a play, no not many polishers I have one next week for the Clare flag on her nails

How do you use these with Gelish? x

To use with Gelish apply colour coats & cure. You need to apply adhesive & cure for 2mins in UV lamp or equivalent for LED, then apply foil. Topcoat cure & your done! Some if the foils don't adhere well to Gelish as it doesn't have the same stickiness inhibition layer that Shellac has, so definitely requires the glue HTH 😄

To use with Gelish apply colour coats & cure. You need to apply adhesive & cure for 2mins in UV lamp or equivalent for LED, then apply foil. Topcoat cure & your done! Some if the foils don't adhere well to Gelish as it doesn't have the same stickiness inhibition layer that Shellac has, so definitely requires the glue HTH 😄

I gave up trying to get the foils to work with Gelish or opi.. I never thought of using adhesive. There's no drama using foils with Shellac, so easy and no messing around.

I gave up trying to get the foils to work with Gelish or opi.. I never thought of using adhesive. There's no drama using foils with Shellac, so easy and no messing around.

I agree, it's a Nite mare with gelish..

I was just going to say I can't get it to work with gelish, never thought of using adhesive...doh 😁

I just bought some lovely leopard print metallic foil didn't realise I wouldn't get full coverage using it on shellac 🙈 oops! So I If wanted to use the foil adhesive with shellac would I do it as normal then wipe off inhibition layer, apply foil adhesive, foil then another shellac top coat? X

I just bought some lovely leopard print metallic foil didn't realise I wouldn't get full coverage using it on shellac 🙈 oops! So I If wanted to use the foil adhesive with shellac would I do it as normal then wipe off inhibition layer, apply foil adhesive, foil then another shellac top coat? X

Yes you can get full coverage. It's trial and error. Some foils will work perfectly fine in the inhibition layer but others can be a nightmare. My advice is to get some pops and give it a go.

On the first apply a darker colour x2 and cure, then take you foil and lay it over the pop, take a nail wipe and use that to really rub the foil on to the pop making sure you really go down the sides free edge etc. Lift it off slowly, this way you can place it back down if you've missed any bits.

One the other pop do the same but after you've cured second colour coat apply adhesive and pop under lamp again for 2 mins then apply the foil in same way as above.

See which way works best for you. I find it works better on an actual nail than on a pop. I always apply 2 coats over foils, 1 clearly pink and one top coat purely because I'm paranoid something might happen to the foil with only top coat over it x

Yes you can get full coverage. It's trial and error. Some foils will work perfectly fine in the inhibition layer but others can be a nightmare. My advice is to get some pops and give it a go.

On the first apply a darker colour x2 and cure, then take you foil and lay it over the pop, take a nail wipe and use that to really rub the foil on to the pop making sure you really go down the sides free edge etc. Lift it off slowly, this way you can place it back down if you've missed any bits.

One the other pop do the same but after you've cured second colour coat apply adhesive and pop under lamp again for 2 mins then apply the foil in same way as above.

See which way works best for you. I find it works better on an actual nail than on a pop. I always apply 2 coats over foils, 1 clearly pink and one top coat purely because I'm paranoid something might happen to the foil with only top coat over it x

Ah ok so apply foil adhesive before topcoat 😉 I was worried it would mess with the shellac thought it would have to be applied on top coat I shall give it a try when I get the adhesive. Thanks 👍😊 x

I tried gold foil over vinylux this morning and looked really gold until I put topcoat on which has dulled and cracked it, would it be better with shellac? I want it to look really mirrored x

Latest posts

Back