How good are you, really, do you know?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoney

Reaction score
We are our own worst critics right, but sometimes I'll do a set and think, wow they are pretty good, but then I'll take a pictute and they look...well not how I thought :eek: and often others can see things that I just cant see, until it pointed out that is! Does that make me a bad technician if I'm not noticing faults in my own work!

How do we know how good or bad we are?

I know continuous education helps, but I've seen some (what I think?)pretty bad nails done by some very advanced (education wise) Nail technicians. I'm only just now starting to believe fully in continous education because I like and trust my educator and the Company I'm training with.

How many of you can feel confident saying 'Yes, I'm a good technician' and why?

We are our own worst critics right, but sometimes I'll do a set and think, wow they are pretty good, but then I'll take a pictute and they look...well not how I thought :eek: and often others can see things that I just cant see, until it pointed out that is! Does that make me a bad technician if I'm not noticing faults in my own work!

How do we know how good or bad we are?

I know continuous education helps, but I've seen some (what I think?)pretty bad nails done by some very advanced (education wise) Nail technicians. I'm only just now starting to believe fully in continous education because I like and trust my educator and the Company I'm training with.

How many of you can feel confident saying 'Yes, I'm a good technician' and why?

I think that developing an eye for perfection takes a long time. Learning just what to 'see' can take years.
That does not mean however, that what you are doing now is not good.

I think I always did good nails, and my business certainly reflected that, but I know that I do much better nails now then way back when.

I also know that although people think my work is perfect, I know that it is not always perfect and nor is anyone elses. My biggest strength is that I can really do it when I'm required to though, like under camera on stage or for photographic work.
When I'm under pressure is when I AM AT MY BEST ACTUALLY.

I have days when I think I'm totally rubbish and sometimes, like you, have had a client point something out that I hadn't spotted (Oh the shame)
Even though everyone tells me how great I am blah blah, I feel they don't know what they're talking about and I will never be happy with a set, even if they look gorgeous and the client skips out the door with joy.. I know her nails are far from perfect.

I suppose it's better to strive for perfection and do your best rather than be cocky and think you're work doesn't need to be improved.

This is really interesting..

It's a shame that when jo public is looking to do a training course that they can't see the work of their tutor

Some of the things that I have seen over the years is incredible. How can these people teach students when they clearly need teaching themselves!!

I once went to a college to do product training with the nail tutors. There were 11 of them I think. Honestly not one of them could even size up tips properly. It was horrendous. They admitted to blagging their way through the courses!! These are NVQ tutors!!!

What hope is there for their students - and they told me they had 100 students starting that term!!

Gina xx

This is really interesting..

It's a shame that when jo public is looking to do a training course that they can't see the work of their tutor

Some of the things that I have seen over the years is incredible. How can these people teach students when they clearly need teaching themselves!!

I once went to a college to do product training with the nail tutors. There were 11 of them I think. Honestly not one of them could even size up tips properly. It was horrendous. They admitted to blagging their way through the courses!! These are NVQ tutors!!!

What hope is there for their students - and they told me they had 100 students starting that term!!

Gina xx

Don't .............. it's horrific!!

No wonder only about 10% of those that take a college course EVER make a busines of doing nails. Actually I think 10% is on the high side.

I agree Geeg

All this panicking about having an nvq in nails. It's a bit of a joke really.

Most (not all!!) of the tutors are beauty therapists teaching nails which they hardly ever do themselves.
Salon reception and duties are also part of these courses and most of them have never owned or worked in salons either.

These colleges and even private ones are becoming accredited by xyz and this somehow seems to make them more credible.

It's a minefield !

Gina xx

How good am I?
Better than most who are local to me.
Can I get better? MOST DEFINATELY!
Do I still have a lot left to learn? HELL YES!

How good am I compared to my peers on this forum.................
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :o
Personally I feel that I'm "pants" :lol:

but I'm working on it!! :green:

I have a full book. Big, deal.
I’m not the best, my bills are paid.
I know that there is always room for improvement. (At times lot’s of room).
Looking at my nail work through the form of pictures is always scary (for me).
If every set of nails was produced as though it was for a competition or use on a poster or advertisement, I would take my time, maybe do much better?
I understand quality is important. Time is money.
For me, my income is important. I would not let a client leave my table with shoddy nails. :eek:
I am searching for my next L/P class as I post this.
I appreciate this type of post. :hug:

I have a full book. Big, deal.
I’m not the best, my bills are paid.
I know that there is always room for improvement. (At times lot’s of room).
Looking at my nail work through the form of pictures is always scary (for me).
If every set of nails was produced as though it was for a competition or use on a poster or advertisement, I would take my time, maybe do much better?
I understand quality is important. Time is money.
For me, my income is important. I would not let a client leave my table with shoddy nails. :eek:
I am searching for my next L/P class as I post this.
I appreciate this type of post. :hug:

You are right - my salon nails are not the same as competition nails and photographic nails.

I think magazines should show more salon nails, but people don't like to show those because they are obviously not as good as digitally enhanced ones and competition ones. BUT... salon ones are the ones that most of us do every day and how we earn our living

Gina xx

You are right - my salon nails are not the same as competition nails and photographic nails.

I think magazines should show more salon nails, but people don't like to show those because they are obviously not as good as digitally enhanced ones and competition ones. BUT... salon ones are the ones that most of us do every day and how we earn our living

Gina xx
I agree, if we were doing competition standard nails for our clients day in and day out, we'd have to charge for the time taken and it wouldn't be pretty!

I do salon nails and my clients like what I do.

Of course I have room for improvement and I do improve everyday I'm working.

When I'm under pressure is when I AM AT MY BEST ACTUALLY.

You know, there may be something in that.

I think sometimes I think too much about what I'm doing. When I have a busy day I'm more aware of the time and I just keep my head down and get on with the job. Thinking about it now, I'm often happier with results on those days.

Why do I do that? I mean, allow myself to 'fill' the time like that?

I don't send my clients away with 'shoddy' nails and I have a good client base and have never had any complaints, but...I am the only L&P nail technician in my town. So would my clients know what to look for? What is good and what is not? Probably not.:eek:

Last edited:
How good am I?
Better than most who are local to me.
Can I get better? MOST DEFINATELY!
Do I still have a lot left to learn? HELL YES!

How good am I compared to my peers on this forum.................
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :o
Personally I feel that I'm "pants" :lol:

but I'm working on it!! :green:

I second all of the above. I know I'm not a fantastic Tech, but I'm the only one still in business in my area 4 years down the line, others have come and gone.

I have a steady, regular client base that ebbs and flows, but about 95% of my clients come back, even if it's months later for whatever reason.

Often I think I'm dissatisfied with a set and dread the client calling in a couple of days with problems, however, when they turn up 2/3 weeks later I'm stunned at how well the set still look and have often asked if they've been somewhere else in the meantime. They look at me in shock like I'm an idiot and laugh :lol:

Most of my clients won't go elsewhere anymore either. When I chopped my hand up last year and couldn't work for a few weeks some went elsewhere in the meantime, but everyone of them came back and swore they won't do it again as I'm the best in their opinion. That's a lovely feeling, but I still doubt myself

Fab thread Lisa, I know exactly what you mean. I am my own worst critic and when I take a pic of what I thought were good nails, I look at the picture and want to take out the person who invented macro! :lol::lol: Then there is the other side of the coin, when you become too obsessed about the nails being spot on that you lose all sense of reason, and spend way too long trying to perfect them.

I totally agree about on-going education as it keeps you on track and your feet on the ground, and sensibly steers you towards producing good salon nails confidently. :)

Just to add, I am an alright tech, but working towards improvement all the time.

great thread and so encouraging to know that lots of you question your work sometimes and often its great work.

am new, am struggling and i will never stop practising and working hard until i am really good. Am a perfectionist. I want to give my clients amazing nails and i have kept pics of every set i have ever done. when i am feeling insecure and hating my nails , i look at the photos and they give me the kick up the bum i need to keep at it, as they show i am improving slowly.

excellent thread. well done .

tigi

This is a fantastic thread to read!! I wish I had taken photographs of every set I've done since my training...then when I get the 'off days' when I think I just can't do it - I could look back and surely see the difference between then and now. Every set of nails I do is an improvement on the previous set and coupled with further education I will make a great technician (one day! :green:)

I know that new clients & old tell me the nails I have just done or do for them are 'The best they have ever had'.
They come back to me again & again - 95% of my clients have been with me for 12 months +.

So, does that mean I'm a great tech?

I don't know, I love my job, I'm a perfectionist, which my clients tell me often. I am very critical of my work and will get the file out if I see something about a clients nails even as they are about to leave.

I would never let a client wear a set of nails that I would not be proud of wearing myself. They are my walking advertisement. And, if they are not happy, they won't come back.

I have days when I've, in my opinion, done less than perfect smiles, not got a perfect symmetry etc.

I am looking to go on and take my Masters in L&P this year with CND. I'm bricking it as to whether I am good enough, I will take the initial course towards my Masters and learn from there. Learning is the key. IMO.

If I thought I was The Best tech in my area I may not strive to create The Best nails I could possibly do - so I'm always over critical of my work & my clients like my 'perfectionist' thing, they know they are getting their money's worth.

Have I answered the original question? Not sure about that.

the nail art is a diagnosis. when you feel that, it means that youˇve entered the most important nail contest Youˇve ever been to.
you compete everyday at work and get your small prizes.
and when you see your students takinˇ 1st places on international nail contests, or doinˇwell at their own studios, it means that yeah.. you are a great tech... :)

the nail art is a diagnosis. when you feel that, it means that youˇve entered the most important nail contest Youˇve ever been to.
you compete everyday at work and get your small prizes.
and when you see your students takinˇ 1st places on international nail contests, or doinˇwell at their own studios, it means that yeah.. you are a great tech... :)

Actually, it's these reasons that keep me passionate about this industry and passionate about what I do.
There is nothing more rewarding (apart from my kids!!) than seeing my students making a success of what I have taught them.

Gina xx

Actually, it's these reasons that keep me passionate about this industry and passionate about what I do.
There is nothing more rewarding (apart from my kids!!) than seeing my students making a success of what I have taught them.

Gina xx

Hear hear, Gina. You don't see colleges inspiring students the way SOME private education providers do .. it is so much more personal and worthwhile to get education from good schools/companies.

Gina xx

Apart from the 2 girls who left my salon recently taking a client base each!!
Teach them everything you know and they go off and do that - one did it whilst I was heavily pregnant and the other one waited until I had literally just had the baby!!
Not a very nice feeling I can tell you!!

I have managed to get back in there and build the salon up again quite quickly and get lovely new staff.
Whilst I was very stressed that these girls had done this, I am very happy now and can hold my head high knowing I have built my business in an honest way and not tried to steal it from some-one else!!

Gina xx

Latest posts

Back