How I built up my lash clientelle Part 2 of 2

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redchick

Reaction score
Continued from part 1

I MAKE MISTAKES
No business venture would be complete without a load of mistakes to learn from. The new salon I was working from rented about a space to a spray tan girl, then she left and I decided to learn spray tanning and take on her space. I find a girl to help me out, give her some training on lashes and get her trained in spray tanning too. I didn’t enjoy spray tanning, the girl I took on was a natural but unfortunately too young and didn’t turn up to work much, so she eventually went.
Then I decide that teeth whitening would be a good idea. Get trained, do a load of my clients, then nothing. Unfortunately as I learnt the hard way it’s something you only need done once. So once I’d gone through my clients who wanted it done it was no longer worth me renting the machine, so I returned it.
There was one week where I was quiet so decide to buy and get trained on a Nu Skin machine. Then I got too busy with lashes again to use it.
I got trained in lash tinting too which does come in handy sometimes when someone has got really fair lashes. I don’t offer it as a service though, just do it when I really need to.
So now when I have a money making idea, of which I have many but I’m sure most of them are crazy, I don’t act on it straight away but have a really good think about it because I don’t want to waste my money.
MY OWN SALON
It’s hard renting a room. At first it’s ok, but then little cracks might show up somewhere. One of the reasons why I left my first room, and I decide it’s time to move again. But this time it needs to be my own place and my own rules. So on an absolute shoestring budget, and doing a lot of the decorating myself with help from my wonderful boyfriend and friends, I open my own little shop. Yeah!
At first I had 2 of us doing lashes, but I soon realised it was really busy for both of us, just me, so I let the girl go. Then December was really busy, January whizzed by, and now I need to focus on building my salon.
One of my clients is fantastic at waxing so now she does the waxing at my shop.
I found a mobile tech who does bio sculpture, got her to do my nails and LOVE THEM! So I’m going to get her to start doing nails at my shop.
As I don’t have the money to pay these girls they’ll both be working on a percentage basis.
So a part of me feels I’m back to square one, I need to start the process of promoting, flyering, getting hairdressers to spread the word again. Although it’s nowhere near as scary now.
So tomorrow me and the waxing lady will go flyering.

PRICING
I feel this will partly dictate how busy you’ll be in this recession. I’ve done full sets for £75, £60, £45 and £30. I was definitely busiest at £30, but could only do this as a special offer to get the ladies hooked when I had my speed up. I think your price should really depend on how many sets you want to do a week. If you offer lots of other services and that keeps you busy then keep your lash price high. At £85 / £95 the lashes will be out of a lot of peoples price range, so you won’t get a large number of people unless you’re in the right area.
I’ve picked up even more speed. It now takes me 45 mins to do a full set, not 1.5 hr. I allow an hour, this gives me some time between clients. A little break, or allowing clients to be slightly late without me getting too worried.
I now charge £45 for a full set because I’ve found it’s a price that keeps a good number of new people coming in. I do lose clients along the way so it’s good to have new ones.
I allow an hour for top ups and charge £30, although I do think I could get away with £35 and will slowly start edging my prices up.
I put 45 lashes in each eye for a full set, this probably isn’t a great amount to a lot of other techs. But I’ve found this is enough to maintain a large client base and it works for me.
So in reality if someone wants 70 lashes per eye I charge £70. So even though I may seem cheaper to the customer, I’m not. Hope that makes sense, not sure if I do :-s
INTERNET
I never utilised the internet to promote myself, and when it came to renewing my site I didn’t bother. Reading through the threads I’ve found an online booking system I want to use and am starting to build another site with www.mrsite.com. I hope I’ll utilise the internet more this time round to promote my shop.
PICTURES OF MY WORK
The pics I’ve got r huge and haven’t got a program to resize them. So I’ve put some up on the website I’m in the process of making www.lashb.co.uk I did these about a year ago.

COMPETITIONS
One promo idea I might explore is trying to put a competition box in as many places as possible. Shops, reception desks, changing rooms etc. There’d be a few people winning free treatments, but I should then hopefully have quite a few people to text with a discount offer.
MORE TRAINING
I’m doing a manicure, pedicure, minx course next month and am looking forward to that, hopefully it won’t be another one of my fads!
After reading the threads I’ve decided to give threading ago. I’m Chinese and my gran learnt to thread as a child because she came from a little village in china where they did it. Wished I’d learnt off her as a child. She’s shown me how to do it, also got a dvd and if I pick it up I’ll go on a threading course.
I’m loving all the different posts on nails and the fab things the girls on here can do with them. Minx, poppits, biosculpture, glitter, foils, nail art, acrygel, sculpting. It’s made me really want to learn nails!!! But I have to stop myself, rome wasn’t built in a day. For now my priority is to promote the shop and get the other 2 girls busy, then I’ll allow myself to do nails. And will also have to get a lash girl if I want to free up my lash time to do nails.
REFERAL SCHEME
I’ve started my referral scheme up again but a little differently this time. I’ve got a load of discount flyers. On the back it’s got a space for my client to put their name and it says they get £5 off their next treatment for each one handed in. Just a way to get my clients to help me flyer.
MY SUPPLIER
I’m not here to promote products just share what I know, which is why I haven’t posted this is in my previous posts. But I’ve had quite a few pm asking what I use so it’s just easier to say it here. I use The Eyelash Empourium lashes, eyepads and glue. I love their ultra glue, some clients don’t get on with it so I stock their medium glue too and use this instead.
THE END
Oh my god, if you’ve made it to the end, well done and thank you! Sorry it’s such a long post, hope I’ve been of some help. This is why I try and stay away from forums, I get way too hooked and end up spending way too much time on them.
Ok, I’m a little scared I’m going to get slated in some way. This is my first thread I’ve started so please try and be nice.
Mummy, I’m scared, yikes!
Yolanda x

That has been a brilliant read. I am very new to lashes having only trained about 4wks ago, so I am still taking ages to do them.
Thanks for sharing your experiences and tips xxx

Thank you Yolanda, you have a great story there and I'm sure it will help and inspire many of us geeks a lot. Keep posting babes xxx

I thought it was great! I'm sure it will be just the nudge some may need to get going.

I thought it was great! I'm sure it will be just the nudge some may need to get going.

Thank you very much for that!

Thanx for your Thread Yolanda. I'm interested in learning lash extensions. Does it take alot financially to start a lash extension business? (mobile or home based)...

Wow what an amazing story. Thank you for sharing and taking the time to write that. It would be nice to have more posts on here like that!
Dont see how someone could slate you for that!
Good luck hun...you deserve to go far xxx

A fantastic story I loved reading it I am working at another job that I hate but pays quite well and have been trying to build up client list in nails and spray tans but its not working I agree you need to bite the bullet unfortunately I have not done this yet, and know unless I do its never going to work and I will be stuck in crap job forever. I have promised myself I will do it this year x

Thank you for taking the time to write all of that. It must have taken you ages!

It makes such a refreshing change to hear an inspiring story/thread on here instead of the usual doom & gloom.

It just goes to show what a bit of (well, maybe a lot, lol) determination, grit & enthusiasm can do for your business. Well done you.

i think this doesnt just apply to lashes either, just for anyone who is building a business. I particularly enjoyed the way you work your pricing structure. Well done and good luck XXXXX

What a fab post, I think all of your info could be applied to whatever treatments we do

Thanks so much for your inspriational story, I also in a job I hate while trying to build up my hair extension clientelle, wish as I was as brave as you to bite the bullet have started looking into the room rental option.

Thanks again

Deb

Extremely useful and candid.
Thank you!

Thank you for posting your story - really helpful and inspiring. Well done you!

Well done on your success!!! You must be raking it in now!! go you!!! You have done really well, WELL DONE!! x

hi im new here ,was just about to post a newbie thread but decided to read your post/s(i normally read haven't posted at all lol) but this thread was inspiring and just wanted to say thank you

Also where can i find out about lash extension courses ?

Honey xx

Thanks Yolanda, what a brilliant story, you write
very well, next job for you, write a book!!
I'm training in lashes next week am very excited, but was worried about fitting in the practice around my already busy beauty business. But you have reminded me, Rome wasn't built in a day, no rush, just keep trying.
Well done I think with your attitude you will always do well. Xx:hug:

What a brilliant post!! It's so refreshing to read an inspirational story!! We need more of these...x

You can add me to the list of inspired people! I have thought of doing lashes many a time but have just done minx, and doing threading next month so budget is a bit tight!

You are so right to really research treatments before embarking on them. As the saying goes, "Jack of all trades, master of none!" Its very tempting to try "everything" but we have to be realistic with our abilities etc.

Well done on your success and thanks for sharing. :)

I haven't read through all the replies, so I'm probably repeating what other people have said.

They were great threads. Really interesting reading and you have totally inspired me. I work full time and doing lashes mobile evenings and weekends. I feel exactly the same way you did. I get to the end of the day and all I want to do is go home. I don't want to lug all my stuff out the car and into someones house.

Unfortunatley I'm not in a position to leave my job so I will be doing as you did. Going round all the places that are open later during the week to find a beauty room. Gyms ans sun bed shops. You have totally inspired me.

Well here I am at the end of post 2 and I thought that was fab honestly I dont know about lashes you could be an author I loved it and didnt want it to end, I think you are so helpful to people I myself am a nail tech and your story will also help me so a big thank you from me.. Siobhan. Well done and good luck in all you do. You go girl x :lol: :hug: x

Latest posts

Back