How insulting!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharmalee_amie

Reaction score
I was cutting one of my regular clients teenage daughters hair the other day and we were talking about her career etc and she said she would be interested in beauty and said they had a huge beauty section in her school. I said oh that's great wish we had had that when i was at school, she said oh I wasn't allowed to do beauty or hair my teacher told
me I was too intelligent, how insulting I must be really stupid then because I've found some parts of beauty really difficult! It really gets my back up when people assume that you are a bimbo because you do beauty or hairdressing! Phew ok rant over!

I know I wonder myself sometimes how I manage to string a sentence together since I ONLY do hair & beauty! Lol ,
What an ignorant woman xx

Ive encountered this a few times too. How rude! Yet Ill bet she's the one who goes home and whinges about how much she dislikes her job...I for one, LOVE what I do, and still cant believe I get paid to have fun with hair!! Who's stupid now eh??
xxx

I worked in a school that do that and thats not why they say it, its not as an insult to us. It's more that they do hair and beauty and things in school to give students who struggle something more hands on to do because they won't try in the regular classes. They don't really get anything at the end of it but its designed to keep them interested in learning x

I worked in a school that do that and thats not why they say it, its not as an insult to us. It's more that they do hair and beauty and things in school to give students who struggle something more hands on to do because they won't try in the regular classes. They don't really get anything at the end of it but its designed to keep them interested in learning x

I was going to say the same thing. :)

My friend's daughter told her careers advisor she might like to do something in beauty and he told her to "think again" as it was a "dead end job" and "they work Saturdays". LOL.
What I wouldn't give for a wise 15 year old to turn round to him and ask him "So what went wrong with your choice then - and YOU work Mondays!?".

Ignorant, ignorant, ignorant. Rant over. End of.

My school done day trips to the local college 1 day a week to do hairdressing, I asked and was told no. I already worked in a salon so could have done level1 quick and been str8 into level 2 when I finished school.
Ended up having a rant saying that the ones who mess about etc... And don't try get all the benefits like hairdressing horse riding (im allergic to horses but would have liked to be asked) went on day trips to places like Cadbury etc... And I had to stay in class because I tried hard?
Needless to say I didn't see much point in trying hard then so would go home at lunch time.

Just feel it would be better for the ones who are trying and getting good grades should be offered these types of things.

Oh and from my class which wasn't allowed trips, there is 2 hairdressers and a riding instructor.and non pod the people who did the courses use the skills, most are in employed have 20 kids or are in dead end jobs. Xoxo

Phew rant over xoxo

When I was leaving school I got told that hairdressing was a 'bimbo's job' by certain family and got pushed into doing my a-levels, and then health and social care because I should be a 'nurse or a midwife'

Needless to say I hated both! Then I decided to do what I always wanted and do beauty therapy and then hairdressing, which cost me a lot of money because i'd not done them from school.

Everyone's really proud of what im doing now, but I think it's really sad how the hair and beauty industry is sometimes looked upon as not being for intelligent people. I found the science part of it really hard! It's definatly not an easy job! Xx

When I was leaving school I got told that hairdressing was a 'bimbo's job' by certain family and got pushed into doing my a-levels, and then health and social care because I should be a 'nurse or a midwife'

Needless to say I hated both! Then I decided to do what I always wanted and do beauty therapy and then hairdressing, which cost me a lot of money because i'd not done them from school.

Everyone's really proud of what im doing now, but I think it's really sad how the hair and beauty industry is sometimes looked upon as not being for intelligent people. I found the science part of it really hard! It's definatly not an easy job! Xx

Never mind the chemical workings, ask a "respectable" jobbed person how shampoo even works, or do other colours other than bleach blonde had peroxide mixed in it, I guess they won't have a clue on the basics.
Also, think how many students drop out in the first few weeks because they took the course thinking it would be a easy ride.

In theory it is rather easy, cut hair in a straight line etc... Try doing it to somre1 who sits funny, or even just do it when they are in perfect position etc...

WE ARE NOT THICK! Let's do a protest to tell people, storm through the streets of every town and city with plackards saying we're not thick, beauticians and hairdressers are looked down on, but trusted with potentially dangerous chemicals still think we're stupid?!? And my far one I just thought up "I may be blonde, but I'm not a bimbo"
Xoxo

I had a client who i was having a convo with before my hairdresser did her, she basically referred that anyone that was in this industry was stupid! Bit of an outlandish comment, but i dont let it knock me or my stylist down, some people are just ignorant, they dont know everything, neither do we sometimes. I just let it brush off my shoulder! xoxo

Same as me.
I was pushed away from beauty & hairdressing and a lot of pressure from my parents to join the military, so I did in the end and am leaving after 7 and half years of being in the Navy.
Hated it! Job was so boring.
Now I'm finally pursuing my dream.
My parents also told me I could 'do better' that beauty as I did well at school and that it was rubbish money.
Well I thought stuff it, I don't care what they think anymore and my Mums fine with it now.
I hardly think learning human anatomy is for thicko's!! Beauty can be hard!

I remember when I was in college, I was moaning about an anatomy and phisiology exam that was coming up and someone piped up "do you not just paint nails and put make up on each other".

'I may be blonde, but I'm not a bimbo' I like that one tomme :)

Its like when people say 'you just stick nails on'. They don't understand how much actually goes into what we do. A lot of it bottles down to being small minded xx

'I may be blonde, but I'm not a bimbo' I like that one tomme :)

Its like when people say 'you just stick nails on'. They don't understand how much actually goes into what we do. A lot of it bottles down to being small minded xx

Love this! I too was shunned by careers advisors at school, luckily I had a really supportive num who knew I wanted to be a hairdresser & I went off to college them done a full time job with apprenticeship to finish off my qualification. 12years on I'm very proud of what I do, it's hard work long hours but very rewarding. My ex used to say when I had complained of a busy day fully booked with no lunch break coz I had ran in to it," don't u just chat all day, drink tea & read mags!" used to get me so angry! Half the people that say things like that couldn't do out jobs coz they have no artistic flair & probably couldn't work out % of colours etc!! I just laugh at people who say these small minded things now or say wanna swap for a day & then tell me we're bimbos!!! xVx

I remember leaving school to do beauty, dad said go into finance at first as that's where the money was, my mum supported me but my step dad didn't saying all I was gonna do was paint nails! When my dad saw how serious I was he ended up backing me all the way!

Well 11yrs later and a lot of studying, I have nvq's in beauty, a btec diploma in make up and a degree in special effects I'm became my own boss at 25! And love pointing out the fact to them that some jobs pay me £40-£50 an hour for "just doing make-up or face painting etc".

I think the negativity they showed spurred me on to prove them wrong!! As for teachers I got told I wouldn't amount to much but just shows if ur stubborn u can achieve ur dreams.

From looking at my younger siblings who are still in education they are steered away from the more practical courses in favour for the more academic ones even though it's not the right choice for them.

I too was told I was 'overqualified' for Hairdressing.:lick:

I was cutting one of my regular clients teenage daughters hair the other day and we were talking about her career etc and she said she would be interested in beauty and said they had a huge beauty section in her school. I said oh that's great wish we had had that when i was at school, she said oh I wasn't allowed to do beauty or hair my teacher told
me I was too intelligent, how insulting I must be really stupid then because I've found some parts of beauty really difficult! It really gets my back up when people assume that you are a bimbo because you do beauty or hairdressing! Phew ok rant over!

Oooh I know exactly how you feel. I've been hairdressing for 20yrs now and people making comments like that still get me soo frustrated :grr: They dont seem to think that there is a technical side to hair and beauty which can be very complicated and in depth!grrrr x

Oh I've heard it all. When I was at school I wanted to be a vet and got steered away from it by mr careers advisor because it was too competitive. I then applied to do an animal course and when I finally realised I wanted to do beauty the response I got from my head of 6th form was: are you sure you want to go paint nails and wax old women? You got good a levels, go to uni.

I told her it wasn't about that at all and there was a lot of other stuff involved. Well now I'm earning more per hour than she ever will and running my very own business and at uni and I'm only 21. She hated being a teacher anyway?! I love my job!! x

If we weren't this smart there would be a lot of rubbish beauty therapists and hairdressers out there! x

Sir Alan Sugar recently announced the Hair and Beauty Industry makes the most profit! I make a packet offering intimate waxing and tanning. :D

Latest posts

Back