How many of you would like your own salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jac extreme

Reaction score
Hi I have just been wondering about having a high street salon instead of my home salon, having worked in four different salons in the past and having seen how each was run, I cant decide if its right for me.

I think I now have the training, experience and confidence to do it but I cant decide if its for me.

I just wondered how many of you would like to have your own salon in a town or high street rather than a home salon or working mobile

do you think you have the experience and confidence to do it now?

or do you feel that you have not had all the training you require yet?

Do you think you would do it by yourself or would you prefer to have a partner?

Have you already tried it and couldn't make it work?

If it didn't work for you what were the stumbling blocks you encountered?

If you have you salon and its a success, what do you think (apart from your own skill and dedication that is ) was the secret to you achieving your goal?

I would love to have a salon of my own....... but I don't think I have enough experience as yet and want to train some more although I do have a lot of confidence as I have run business before.
I would like to be able to do it on my own to start with.

Before going into it and after getting all the training I need I would take a business course of some sort to help understand that side.

At some stage I will do it but it's always good to hear other peoples experiences both good and bad.

Hi I have just been wondering about having a high street salon instead of my home salon, having worked in four different salons in the past and having seen how each was run, I cant decide if its right for me.

I think I now have the training, experience and confidence to do it but I cant decide if its for me.

I just wondered how many of you would like to have your own salon in a town or high street rather than a home salon or working mobile

If you have you salon and its a success, what do you think (apart from your own skill and dedication that is ) was the secret to you achieving your goal?
Dedicated staff, who are your pillars of strength.

I am sort of there already by renting my space in a salon that is also used by hairdressers.

The one advantage I have at the minute is that the girls in the hairdressers will book my appointments for me if I am not there. If I went totally on my own then I would either have to employ somebody else or stay in the salon to book my own appointments in!

Feel like I have best of both worlds at the minute!

I have had my own salon here in Greece since last May.

Whilst not a bed of roses to set up (especially with the Greek paperwork and accountancy), it is now a great feeling to have your own place that you can manage how you like.

Life is very different to being mobile or working in hotels, and overall is a much more professional place for me to be working, with everything to hand and your own systems in place. It is a place for offering services, but also a great outlet for retaling products and after / pre-care pacakages.

My husband and I designed the layout and decor ourselves, with many items of furniture bought "off the shelf" (like Purex), and although we will be expanding our floor area to improve the Pedicure facilities in the spring, it is now about right.

My clients love it, and I love it. I would recommend it to anyone who is now mobile and is in a position to "make the change".

Good luck!

Eva

Now i wouldn't .Years ago i wish i had whan beauty salons were few and far between.The only thing i can add is that you cant do it on your own you need a good team and if you get them you must look after them and treat them well.Lots of incentives if you cant initially pay them well. Keep a distance ,keep respect..you can not be your employees friend only their boss.

Jacqui - in answer to your question...

It means many hours of planning, prep, decorating, setting up suppliers and of course, giving up Geeking for many months. It will also mean that you will work very long hours and feel like you have a new home!

Eva

My aim is to open a salon eventually... actually my ultimate aim is to open a chain of salons.. :D

I feel confident about running a business as I have had a business of my own before.. but Im not confident enough to run a nail business yet as I dont feel I have enough knowledge or the experience..

Ive already told my other half.. that when i eventually do open a salon.. then it will be 'our' business as suppose to 'my' business... so therefore i hope that he will take some time and do some sort of training in nails.. he doesnt need to 'do nails' as such in the salon.. but he does need some understanding and knowledge of nails cos how can you run a business that you have no knowledge in...??

JMHO....

My aim is to open a salon eventually... actually my ultimate aim is to open a chain of salons.. :D

I feel confident about running a business as I have had a business of my own before.. but Im not confident enough to run a nail business yet as I dont feel I have enough knowledge or the experience..

Ive already told my other half.. that when i eventually do open a salon.. then it will be 'our' business as suppose to 'my' business... so therefore i hope that he will take some time and do some sort of training in nails.. he doesnt need to 'do nails' as such in the salon.. but he does need some understanding and knowledge of nails cos how can you run a business that you have no knowledge in...??

JMHO....

This is a good point - my only other employee at this time is my husband. He is really the "operations manager" as he takes the bookings, cleans, makes the orders, organises retail displays and of course is...tea boy.

He has taken the efforts to learn how to support me and now knows quite a bit about my work without actually doing them.

Behind every good salon owner is her husband!

Eva

No i dont....ever. Maybe thats the wrong attitude to have but i just love what i do, it suits me and isn't complicated. I have never really been the highly ambitious type...never set my goals too high...not driven my money...dont strive to have my name above the door.

I remember when i started this and someone who started mobile (hairdressing) and then went on to own a salon for 20 years told me to keep things simple...she said she was much happier, better off and alot less stressed when mobile and although i ain't mobile (home salon)...its simple and hassle free. xx

This is a good point - my only other employee at this time is my husband. He is really the "operations manager" as he takes the bookings, cleans, makes the orders, organises retail displays and of course is...tea boy.

He has taken the efforts to learn how to support me and now knows quite a bit about my work without actually doing them.

Eva

Totally agree there Eva.

Wouldnt be able to do what I do now without the support of my husband Steve.

Jac, it is my dream, but feels like a long way off, I've just spent the last few days tweaking my brochure for mobile and have been a bit knocked by a lady telling me that I was too expensive, but hey ho I stuck to my guns.

It's hard going, right I'm off to write a journal I feel :lol:

Hi I had my own salon back in 2000 to 2003, I personally was busy all the time, I had 2 techs working for me, but they were not as committed to it. It was really good for the social side of life, but the overheads and seasonal revenue can be very daunting if you only offer nail services, especially during quiet months ie Jan, Feb, March. Do you offer any other treatments aside from nails? I say if you feel it's right for you give it a go, what's the worst that can happen? You have to be prepared for lots of competition. I closed my salon to work from home again it was much more profitable and I could work the hours to suit my lifestyle especially when I started teaching, good luck :lol:

Eva

And say for example if the unexpected happens and youre not able to run the salon for a while... at least then your husband can jump in with enough knowledge to keep the shop running.. whats worse than a closed shop with rents still to pay ....??

After some terrible previous experiences.. ive learnt that good, honest and dedicated staff is sometimes a draw of luck.. which better person is there to rely on than your closest person...?

When I started out I was considering doing mobile then wishful thinking was to open my own salon.

Since getting all kitted out at home and having a dedicated salon area I am not sure any more. My client base is building up very nicely and I like the times when I don't have clients in to do other things around the home. I have just finished work now, due to the snow my later client cancelled but it doesn't bother me as I am not having to brace the cold to get myself home after a days work.

However, when I go for my pedicure at a local spa.. I really enjoy the hustle and bustle of the place and feel a tad jealous that I am not part of a team in a walk in salon in town as there is always people popping in on the off chance that they could 'fit them in'. I don't get that.. its all appointment work which is the only way it would work from home anyway. I just wish sometimes I had the banter with other workmates.

But then I have the Salongeek for that now don't I :)

If I moved and didnt have the designated space anymore then I would definately consider getting my own salon in the centre of town.

:hug:

In my dreams, yes I would love my own Salon.
In reality, it would not work for me with a 5 year old, I think you would have to give the Salon 100% and to do that your family have to be a bit more self sufficient than mine are.
Good thread Jac.

I think you would have to give the Salon 100% and to do that your family have to be a bit more self sufficient than mine are.

This is the main point isnt it..?

That we as woman.. can not really give 100% to both our career and our family.. it is always one or the other... one or the other will have take the larger percentage..

The amount of things we have to give up for our family is tremendous..

No i dont....ever. Maybe thats the wrong attitude to have but i just love what i do, it suits me and isn't complicated. I have never really been the highly ambitious type...never set my goals too high...not driven my money...dont strive to have my name above the door.

I remember when i started this and someone who started mobile (hairdressing) and then went on to own a salon for 20 years told me to keep things simple...she said she was much happier, better off and alot less stressed when mobile and although i ain't mobile (home salon)...its simple and hassle free. xx

I agree totally.And if I have a day with no bookings, I can do what I like!

I go through alot of mixed feelings about this.

The fact that I can't decide if I would like it or not, tells me not to do it.

I have the best of both worlds here at my home salon, in down times I can do housework etc, and because I have a whole room dedicated to nails, I can have it set up exactly like a salon anyway so it's great.

If the only reason I want a salon is for more exposure, more team orientated or more money, then I can work out a way to have that at home.

The overheads aren't a problem from home and that to me is peace of mind to know that if I have a quiet week, I'm not panicking about the rent.

Please correct me if this is wrong. You are already selfemployeed, the question is about a high-street salon or a homebased?

Then you know all about being selfemployeed, the good and the bad.

I have a salon, not big (anymore), but in the very middle of the city center, BUT it's on first floor. There are positive and negative sides about being at first floor and not "walk-in". I don't get the "walk-ins" and I don't get as much retail sale, but on the other hand, I have less rent to pay and I don't have time for "walk-ins" as my customers very often book appointments from app. to app. New customers call to get an app. and they are usually refered buy other customers. The positive sides are that you don't get all those people who only want a look and you are free to take a walk without being affraid that you will loose any customers.

If you have a big high-street salon you also need staff. I am not sure about the laws in UK, but in Norway it's a very serious commitment to employ people. In Norway the employer have to pay lots of taxes to employ people and you also have to pay full salaries for the first 16 days if an employee is ill.

So yes, I rather have my little "first-floor" salon than a high-street salon.

C.

Latest posts

Back