How to get smooth Rockstar

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always burnished and my rockstars never look like foils :) it looks clean classy and blingy :)

I have always burnished and my rockstars never look like foils :) it looks clean classy and blingy :)

I think you can get a foil effect if using just a normal bog standard glitter, but when you use the beautiful Irresistible Holographic glitters from S2 then trust me they do not look like foil and they do definitely bling with glitter .. as I said, it is the same with all things .. the quality of the product you use makes all the difference. Top quality products give you top quality results.

If what I was saying was not true, I certainly would not come onto the www and make such a silly statement would I? I think a better quality glitter is in order for those who say their burnished rockstar nails are DULL and don't glitter like stardust. Or, if you like the rough look and feel then stick with it. :)

Last edited:
I use irresistible glitters and they look very glittery! I always burnish the glitter with a brush as the fingernail fixer does on her vid, look it up on YouTube I thinks its the one called V2, the application she does is fantastic. I've followed this and have had amazing comments from clients. :)

Maybe foil wasn't the right word...they definitely BLING!!! they are just very smooth and look more classy. The S2 glitters are lovely, also the Martha Stewart.
I have rockstar toes at the moment, using the burnishing method and they glitter beautiful without looking tacky ;)

I use irresistible glitters and they look very glittery! I always burnish the glitter with a brush as the fingernail fixer does on her vid, look it up on YouTube I thinks its the one called V2, the application she does is fantastic. I've followed this and have had amazing comments from clients. :)

The V3 is even better!

My glitter from S2 came yesterday, so I've sprinkled, patted and top coated...I think I'll have a go at burnishing later to see the difference and take a peek at fingernail fixers video :D xx

You'd better come and inspect the nails on the girls in our office then ... talk about classy bling!!! Perhaps it also has something to do with the quality (or lack of it) in the glitter used. Our glitter does not look like foil, it is just smooth instead of rough ... it blings alright and glitters, whether burnished or not. They can be inspected any day of the week during office hours. :D

My glitters are the holographic ones brought from ellisons so I wouldn't say it is my lack of quality glitters.

My rockstars are never rough, they are dabbed on with a brush then gently brushed over to make sure they are smooth before topcoating :)

We all have different opinions and was just putting mine out there :) x x

Crikey !
I was simply asking how to get the smoothest finish when using a glitter. I use the Martha Stewart glitter if this makes a difference. It shouldnt be a promotion of various glitter products. Geeg: I know you give sound advice, which we do appreciate, but you do come across as a little patronising at times.

I rub the glitter in, looks lovely,a softer blingy effect, I use NSI glittlers, but my 3D glitters never get completely smooth just a little rough even with 2 coats, but I hadn't been pressing it down enough maybe.

The irresistible glitters look lovely but I totally recommend the NSI fine glitters and they are great value too xx

Crikey !
I was simply asking how to get the smoothest finish when using a glitter. I use the Martha Stewart glitter if this makes a difference. It shouldnt be a promotion of various glitter products. Geeg: I know you give sound advice, which we do appreciate, but you do come across as a little patronising at times.
Really? What about the others that have also recommended the beautiful Irrestible glitters ? ... Perhaps they are patronising too? Ridiculous! I have used loads of different glitters and happen to like these and the results. If you don't want to use them or to receive a recommendation then don't use them instead of writing snarky posts saying I am patronising. Not really sure how that word fits but hey ho!

If I sprinkle and pat and it's still rough after top coat I buff it then cleanse and top cost again. It looks scary when u buff because it goes grey and dull but as soon as u top cost again it's fine.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342736770.623429.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342736770.623429.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 178
If I sprinkle and pat and it's still rough after top coat I buff it then cleanse and top cost again. It looks scary when u buff because it goes grey and dull but as soon as u top cost again it's fine.

They're lovely, wish I could reach my toes to do some pretty things on them lol.

These are my s2 glitters burnished in to gel. My clients adore extremely popular :) and super smooth .

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342740696.289655.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342740696.289655.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 197
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342740761.730271.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342740761.730271.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 209
What kind of brushes do you use to pat/scrub/burnish your glitter...Ive been using a clean, dry gel brush..first one I did I just patted and topcoat and it was rough! Second one was a bit better cos I worked it in a bit better and buffed inbetween topcoats, much smoother..using cheaper glitter cos Im only practicing on myself atm..

Sent from my RACERII using SalonGeek

What kind of brushes do you use to pat/scrub/burnish your glitter...Ive been using a clean, dry gel brush..first one I did I just patted and topcoat and it was rough! Second one was a bit better cos I worked it in a bit better and buffed inbetween topcoats, much smoother..using cheaper glitter cos Im only practicing on myself atm..

I use exactly the same.

Well I must just need to practice a lot more and some better glitters! Oh, such a hard life I have! :p haha!

By different quality I did not mention substandard what I was meaning was exactly what Victoria pointed out. Some glitters are metal, some are plastic, some are course some are fine, some are holographic, some are not .. different qualities! Make sure you are using the right quality for the job.

As I said, I like Irresistible glitters and no longer buy Martha Stewart because it is easier and less expensive for me to get from one supplier where the glitters work well specifically with nail products and we know they work with no guess work. I don't have to waste any time buffing in between top coats etc.

My glitter from S2 came yesterday, so I've sprinkled, patted and top coated...I think I'll have a go at burnishing later to see the difference and take a peek at fingernail fixers video :D xx

I think that's the key Hun! To try both methods & see which one you prefer!
I honestly prefer patting the glitter into uncured gel I suppose if someone wanted more of a foiled look I'd burnish with a dry brush.
My rockstars certainly don't ever look
rough! x

'rough'

Ok so correct me if I am wrong. I haven't given rockstar nails a go.

You put a thin layer of gel on the nail. Then you pat or scrub glitter in. Then you put gel over the top?

Or do you do the thin layer of gel....and get a bead of gel and pick up the glitter with the bead and put it on the nail?

Back