How to make more money re: NSS & MMA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to say ... That we at CND are and always have been very proactive re education and this is how you raise standards in the industry and also the standards of the NSS.

Rather than beating on the governments door (who has the time and they take so long ... Been there and done that for 25 years) there is another way ... And it's being done, and it is starting to work. Just look in Scratch magazine at the SEA-side articles that have been running for the last 3 months ... Instead of just scanning through the pictures of nail art that no one does in the salon ...

Education is the way forward ... And the ability to inspire those who need it to get it. At the least, it is doing something positive NOW instead of waiting for the government to actually act. And by the time they do act, those we have educated will be well on the way to getting their 'licenses' and will probably be
the first to have them.

I love education, I train in something new at least three times a year.

My greatest achievement was two months ago. I had a new client come to me to have her acrylics done. OMG she had dermatitis on her little finger so bad it looked like someone had skinned her. REALLY I SHOULD HAVE TOOK A PICTURE IT WAS THAT BAD.

Anyway on my advise she ended up having shellac because on the whole I thought it safer than getting acrylic near that finger. I also gave her a pinkie bottle of solar oil and a trial size bottle of scentsations. She is an NHS secretary, works at the local hospital and had been on steroids for years for her dermatitis.

Well four weeks later and the dermatitis has gone. The hospital said she should stick with her new nail tech cos she is obviously well trained and Knows her products :D.
:o. Sorry gotta say it I'm so damned proud of myself.

Yes Geeg education is the key. Just wish government was a little more enthusiastic. Xx

i love this idea.carrying you qualifications around can be heavy stuff along with you client folder etc
also if we were to get rid of nss all to together what would be our unique selling point we all would be the same:smack: lol

Cheers Hun can you imagine the CND certificates in miniature gorgeous and cute. I would show EVERYONE :D. X

If you look at your peers here on SG, what are your unique selling points compared to them? Qualifications should NOT be a 'unique selling point'. They should be a given and assumed.
Unique Selling Points are about other differences in your services.
Unique selling proposition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm proactive on 3 fronts:
- Against NSS/MMA
- Pro-Bilingual in a Province of Canada that is reducing the rights of Anglophones based on LANGUAGE.
- Animal rescue, and Animal rights.

For all 3 of the above, I have:
-Attended protests
-Shared information, educating the public
-collected signatures on petitions
-submit letters to government officials
-contacted local media
etc.

Due to my mouthing off on a public forum regards local politics in my city; I encouraged a group be formed to guarantee that our city continues to provide information in English for English citizens. We petitioned, we shared info, we protested, we confronted local govt officials, we spoke to the media.
Guess what? After a month of sincere effort, we SUCEEDED.
Mayoress, councillors ink bilingualism petition | Politique | Actualités | Montérégie

A $250,000 translation request | Politique | Actualités | Montérégie

Info not always available in English | Communautaire | Actualités | Montérégie

We're still fighting, and still pushing. But we're getting there. We don't have our bylaws yet, but we've won the battle to making sure that we haven't lost ALL English services and Information.
What the above proves is that you have to RAISE AWARENESS and incite the PUBLIC to join your battle.

Government is NOT going to stop anything if they don't have to.
And they won't bother trying UNLESS the public makes a racket and a bunch of noise and DEMANDS change.
Change, whatever the issue is, will NOT occur unless folks get off their butts and make REAL effort.

]people that are too full winded. I never said a unqiue selling point was qualifications i doubt you have looked at my quote correctly:?::?::?:So i will ask again when the nss has all but vanished what will be our ''unique'' selling point as we will all be the same then none of us could sell our business differently to the next one on quality and standards we would all be the same. Do not get me wrong i am all for regulating nss for what can go on in some of them .But are we as high ''quality therapists'' not cutting our noses off to spite our face

Last edited:
Cheers Hun can you imagine the CND certificates in miniature gorgeous and cute. I would show EVERYONE :D. X
I know i need one they would be really handy :D

Ooooooh I've always wanted To be a Jedi lol. I understand what you are saying I'm too impatient by far lol xxxx

I understand LOL I've been squawking about standards ever since I joined SG and got a REAL education LOL

My greatest achievement was two months ago. I had a new client come to me to have her acrylics done. OMG she had dermatitis on her little finger so bad it looked like someone had skinned her. REALLY I SHOULD HAVE TOOK A PICTURE IT WAS THAT BAD.

Anyway on my advise she ended up having shellac because on the whole I thought it safer than getting acrylic near that finger. I also gave her a pinkie bottle of solar oil and a trial size bottle of scentsations. She is an NHS secretary, works at the local hospital and had been on steroids for years for her dermatitis.

Well four weeks later and the dermatitis has gone. The hospital said she should stick with her new nail tech cos she is obviously well trained and Knows her products :D.
:o. Sorry gotta say it I'm so damned proud of myself.

Yes Geeg education is the key. Just wish government was a little more enthusiastic. Xx

SEE! This is what I love! Stories like this. When a tech who KNOWS better turns away the bigger service in the interest of what's BEST for the client!!

OMG it would be so fun, aye? LOL

]people that are too full winded. I never said a unqiue selling point was qualifications i doubt you have looked at my quote correctly:?::?::?:So i will ask again when the nss has all but vanished what will be our ''unique'' selling point as we will all be the same then none of us could sell our business differently to the next one on quality and standards we would all be the same. Do not get me wrong i am all for regulating nss for what can go on in some of them .But are we as high ''quality therapists'' not cutting our noses off to spite our face

There was really no need to get your panties in a knot.
As for being longwinded, I'll take it as a compliment. I take pride in being verbose :D

Please note what I highlighted:
I repeat, your USP should NOT be your qualifications nor your certs.
USP's should be things such as:
- speciality in medi-pedi's targetting the elderly or those with diabetes
- speciality in nail art
- a product line for the salon that's "green" and enviro friendly etc
- unique services that your neighboring tech doesn't offer
- maybe your salon offers fancy coffees/teas with services
- unique environment in your salon that's appealing to clients
- maybe you have a 'kids day' where moms can bring kids
and etc.
Those are "USP's"

No, we wouldn't be cutting off our noses to spite our faces because the pricing scale will rise (therefor increasing our wages) because:
A) Less incidence of MMA being used in NSS,they would have to raise their prices to cover their product costs.
B) Less NSS overall because it wouldn't be as easy to open up a chopshop without qualifications & licenses.
C) and 'maybe' (big maybe) our distributors/manufacturers/educators just 'might' lower the cost of products & education because their sales would increase as would class attendance.
D) Because it will require standards and better education to become qualified and licensed, there will likely be less techs and less salons.

SOOO less NSS and less salons means consumers will have to find a chair to sit in somewhere to get their nails done. Why not ours? In the chairs of those already established and qualified?

BUMP

What have YOU done lately to effect changes?

Latest posts

Back