Insulted re: pricing of services

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
I'm so very insulted.

After my client left tonight, my hands were shaking I was so ticked off. I had managed to smile and bottle it in. But once she was out the door, I couldn't get on the phone fast enough to rant to my bestfriend, I was so ticked off!!

She's been to see me only a few times. Up till now, very satisfied. Constantly comparing my work to that of the NSS that she has learned the hard way, is not good for her nails. Oooing and awwing about how great her nails look, how shiney, how the services don't hurt.. blah blah

NOTE: I apologize in advance if a certain term is deemed too rude and needs editing.

She needed a rebalance tonight, and the french adjusted.
So, I told her it was 30$ for the rebalance and redoing of the french.
She was surprised (I have NO IDEA why) and annoyed, and proceeded to complain. That a new set was 25$, how could a rebalance be that much. I corrected her and pointed out the flyer - a SPECIAL for first time clients only, the full set was 25$ instead of 35$. Not cheap but not a fortune, a couple dollars more than NSS, but less than the GOOD salon that is in town that charges 45 to 60 for a new set, depending on what it is.
Anyway.. she was all irked, and asked why the last fill didn't cost as much. I explained we only refilled as they hadn't grown much and didn't have any lifting.. etc...
So she has a cow, and says she's not spending 30 every two weeks :rolleyes: and then says ........ in french, so I'm loosely translating..

that she feels she's getting screwed:eek: :evil:
(and the word screwed is the polite translation for the word that she actually used)

I saw red and bit my tongue.

I breathed in and out. Then calmly explained it all again, as I did at the very first appointment. Refills and rebalances are not the same thing. I explained the differences and why sometimes I felt that a client might need only one instead of the other. How client's differ in the rate that their nails grow, how hard they are on their hands.. How all this plays into what they need and when they need it.....

I politely but firmly told her that if she was dissatisfied, then she was free to return to her former technician.

She whined and said "just refill then, and I'll decide next time if I want to grow them out or what I want to do":rolleyes:

She could see I was irked. I didn't quite know what to say without telling her to take her sorry ass back to the nss if she felt that I was ripping her off.
I'm not exactly making a fortune here. I don't charge all I'm worth as I'm trying to get my name out.

She started getting all 'nice and chatty' again, I guess deciding she'd rather chat with me than have me sit in silence as I was so annoyed and insulted.
Screw her?????????? (and the word screwed is the polite translation for the word that she actually used) The only one that gets "you now what" is me by the NSS when they charge their ridiculous prices of "2 sets for 35$" and then they ruin the name of the business by destroying people's nails.:irked:

She ended the appointment by saying she'd call me and let me know, all friendly and sweet again. While I sat here feeling insulted and ready to pop her one right in the eye.

Have you ever been insulted like this by a client?

She KNEW my prices before she ever came to me. She had a flyer AND my website that she told me she had visited. She knew there was a price difference between a refill and a rebalance.
At her consult, I explained the differences between my services and the NSS. How my prep is different, why. The differences between all my enhancement services....

I'm irked and heading off to bed.. getting mad again, thinking about once more LOL

I'm sooooo very ticked. I want to scream.

oh hunni!

don't even let this cow get your feathers ruffled! as long as she knew what your prices were, and you didn't jack up the prices on her and just her, then let her deal with it! you're in this for a money making business, not to kiss peoples butts by doing them favors!

augh. :irked:

i guess if she calls to book her next appointment, then she's accepted your prices, and you've got yourself a finicky customer... but if she doesn't call again....

THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS!!!!!!

xoxox's for ya'!!:hug:

what a rude cow..and in your house.:irked: IMO you have to put up with the odd rude client in a salon..but in your home its a different story..to me this is the biggest advantage of working from home.
i haven't had many rude clients, although did have a similar problem a couple of years ago..and she had a brand new mercedes parked in my driveway..i had to pre book her but then called her to cancel.:)
i know you are building your clientele and hopefully this will be a one off (the rude client type) but sometimes cheap prices attract cheap clients..sometimes its just not worth it. IMO better to do half the clients for the same income:hug:

Dont let her get to you Victoria, she probably does it to everyone, and is a scrooge.
Have sweet dreams about popping her one in the eye~!!!
XXXX:hug:

As the old saying goes.... "you get what you pay for"! I always tell clients that re-balances are more labourious and should cost more than new sets, so in fact they are getting a good deal...lol. Don't sweat the loss if she doesn't come back, spring/summer is around the corner and you'll be soon too busy to care.

xxx RAE

Unfortunately we will always get clients like this :grr: and i can imagine how you must have been feeling :hug:.

Just had a thought,to avoid this situation if future,maybe you could consider changing from fill/rebal to maintenance appointments with one price ,no matter what needs doing.

Hopefully this won't happen again hth's xx

Don't worry Victoria, you're not the only one. Not that I have had anyone being rude but I am getting very disillusioned about the whole nail industry at the moment. I have a thread that is itching to come out but I fear it will ruffle too many feathers, about how our industry is being overshadowed by a lack of skill, a lack of passion and a lack of knowledge, and how so many of the public just don't care what they get just so long as it's cheap.

I'm tired of justifying my existence to be honest and am moving more into beauty where people quite happily pay more for less of a skill.

Don't worry Victoria, you're not the only one. Not that I have had anyone being rude but I am getting very disillusioned about the whole nail industry at the moment. I have a thread that is itching to come out but I fear it will ruffle too many feathers, about how our industry is being overshadowed by a lack of skill, a lack of passion and a lack of knowledge, and how so many of the public just don't care what they get just so long as it's cheap.

I'm tired of justifying my existence to be honest and am moving more into beauty where people quite happily pay more for less of a skill.
I will be watching out for that thread to start!
xxx

I think it would be a great thread!

My advice to you , Victoria, is not to take anything clients say PERSONALLY.

You will come across many many clients who complain about price. It is practically the done thing to complain in order to see if the technician will relent and lower the price to keep the client's business ... you can't take these things personally and feel insulted about it.

Rightly or wrongly, most people think they are worth more than they actually are but you have a price list ... clients have to stick to that or go elsewhere. No use feeling personally insulted.

This is also one reason why I never have given discounts or offers on SERVICES. AND why I always advise others not to do it.

Clients don't like it when they have to pay the going rate after getting a discount. Much smarter to give a retail gift or retail offer.

If you discount yourself, that only gives clients the message that you are worth less on some days than others and can afford to BE worth less on some days than others. This is a BAD message to give out.

How many times have I given out this advice on here. We are professionals. We do not discount our service. There are other ways to entice clients to use you ... use them.

Well put Geeg.
I don't discount my nails now, but I do give all new customer a bottle of Solar Oil (not a pinkie, the next size up).:idea:
This kills two birds with one stone. They are getting something for nothing on their first visit, nice incentive, but it also get's over the "I didn't use oil before so I'm not paying for it now" issue. Once they've got used to using it, buying a new one when that runs out isn't such an issue.
Don't take it personally Victoria, some people just love to moan & try it on to get money off.:irked:

Nicely put Geeg.

Sometimes we need a little reassurance to keep on doing what we do best. I am at this moment working on my price list - adjusting a few prices but trying not to upset my loyal clients. God its hard work this!! LOL

A hundred people can be totally satisfied with price, quality etc and it only takes 1 person to rattle your cage and keep you awake at night!!

Big :hug: Victoria,

It is a pain in the bottom when you feel like you have to explain your prices to clients or even justify them but as you say if they don't like it go back to where you originally came from.

I fortunately haven't really had anyone as ill-mannered as this but would probably feel down (like yourself) if I had.

Pick yourself up mate and dust yourself down, you're worth a million in my eyes!!

Teri x:hug:

I'm tired of justifying my existence to be honest and am moving more into beauty where people quite happily pay more for less of a skill.[/quote]

What makes you think that beauty is less of a skill than nails? I had to work damn hard to do a two year full time college course to get my qualifications, and probably covered lots more theory AND practical skills than a nail tech. I'm not saying being a nail tech is not a skilled job, cus I'm sure it is, but beauty is no less skilled. If anything it's harder because you have to be skilled at many treatments rather than just one.

Scuse my rant, I get a bit annoyed when people suggest my job is easy!

What makes you think that beauty is less of a skill than nails? I had to work damn hard to do a two year full time college course to get my qualifications, and probably covered lots more theory AND practical skills than a nail tech. I'm not saying being a nail tech is not a skilled job, cus I'm sure it is, but beauty is no less skilled. If anything it's harder because you have to be skilled at many treatments rather than just one.

Scuse my rant, I get a bit annoyed when people suggest my job is easy![/quote]

Sorry I didn't mean it like that. What I mean is that Nail technology is a level 3 skill, whereas waxing, facials, manis and pedis is a level 2 skill. I am not putting the beauty industry down and I can see how you took me to mean that. I mean on a qualifications level. But I can earn up to double an hour for it and clients seem to appreciate the skill involved more than with nails. Hope you see where I am coming from now. I would never put our industry down in the way you thought I had or obviously came across.

Thanks everyone for your replies, kind words, AND the advice.
I definately have much to think on, re: my price list.

I was so very annoyed. My hubby took one look at my face and asked what 'HE had done :lol:

Ugh... my blood was boiling, and just thinking about it.. it's going that way again :lol:

I understand that everyone tries to get a lower price, I expect people to try. It was the way that she said it.

Some people have nerve, that's for sure.

Yup, I'll definately rethink about my pricing and specials. That's for sure.

Thanks again!!
:hug:

:irked:
Hi Victoria..

I had something similar happen just the other day!!!
This client has been coming to me for awhile now. So she certainly knows what my prices are.. (she has also come from a NSS, and was pleased that she found me).
( I charge the same for a full set and a Rebalance)

Well.. when I finnished doing her nails, she says to me what do I owe you, and I said you owe me the same as always..
She then said that I only did a rebalance.. I showed her again on my price list ( which is directly in front of her on the desk under glass at all times) what the prices were..

She started digging around in her purse while I started cleaning up .. finally she said to me that she only has $20.00 with her.. I said to her what are you going to do and she said that she would bring the other $10.00 next time.
(I was soooo angry)

She will be in for a shock if... she decides to come back becasue just last night I redid my price list and raised my prices by $10.00. I now charge $40.00 for uv gel nails and rebalances. ( and after reading Sassy's latest post I am thinking maybe I am still not charging enough).

Sincerely
Janet
the nail fairy:hug:

when you charge one price for fill & rebalances, how do you figure the price? just pick a price in between the two? or the higher of the two prices? it sounds like it would work better for me... one price one stop shop, lol!

sorry to hijack v!

when you charge one price for fill & rebalances, how do you figure the price? just pick a price in between the two? or the higher of the two prices? it sounds like it would work better for me... one price one stop shop, lol!

sorry to hijack v!

We charge for the TIME it takes to do the job ... no, you don't just pick a number ... if it takes the same amount of time then the price is the same.

Latest posts

Back