How would you achieve this red?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebe_cat

Reaction score
I've been trying to get my hair the colour of Carrie Grant from Fame academy :green:

I don't know if I'm describing it right, as it never ends up as RED, RED as I want..... It's always a colour that someone could possibly be born with, and I want it fake red, lol!

My hair is mid-dark brown at the min, so what should I be asking for?

Attachments

• carrie hair.jpg
    carrie hair.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,135
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 263
I am no hairdresser but I would say her hair is more auburn.

I love Carrie. I think she is great with such fab style.

Post a piccie when you have your hair done x

hi, this is a sort of 6.35 colour (koleston) use with a 30 or 30 vol depending on coverage needed, i used to use it all the time on my own hair, now i dont do to hairdressing and dont carry the stock i cheat and use 6.35 ( might be 6.45) in loreal preferance hth

hi, this is a sort of 6.35 colour (koleston)

Thanks for that hun :hug: I know nothing at ALL about hair! Koleston doesn't ring a bell as a name stocked by my salon. Is a 6.35 pretty much the same in all ranges or will it be completely different?

Chris, if my hair ever reaches the colour I want, you will get photos, I promise! :green:

sorry i ment loreal majirel !!!the numbers are usually universal, 1 to 10 being from black to blonde, so 6 is a dark blonde ( to an untrained eye its more like a lightish brown) the numbers after the . are your tones 45 being a coppery colour i have just tried to find an old colour box to double check what colour it is that i have used

sorry i ment loreal majirel

Oooh, now that sound familiar, I think that is the range carried in my salon... I will investigate further when back in work! :hug:

found one 6.5 preferance

HI

Depends on how dark your hair is, to get a really fake bright false red you really need to pre-lighten first, then put the red over.

Matrix do one called red lights ........................With Red lights, vibrant reds are now easy to achieve and in just 15 minutes. The new patented technology gives you luminous reds on even the darkest of bases.

Speed
Fast, one-step process for intense red highlights on natural and colored hair in just 15 minutes.

Condition
Rich conditioning complex protects the vitality of hair and adds silkiness for unstoppable shine
www.matrixhaircare.co.uk

You can maintain your red then with something like fudge paintbox or matrix relights or wella do one too but the name escapes me.

HTH

ps they stock it in Ashton & Fincher if you have one of those round by you, i know you will get it professionally applied :wink2:

Depends on how dark your hair is, to get a really fake bright false red you really need to pre-lighten first, then put the red over.

So would the matrix do the job if I didn't have my hair pre-lightened? For various reasons, it's not in the best condition at the min :cry: so would worry about too many chemical procedures......

loreal do a range called majirouge , which are all the red colours , ask about using them , hth :green:

So would the matrix do the job if I didn't have my hair pre-lightened? For various reasons, it's not in the best condition at the min :cry: so would worry about too many chemical procedures......

Yes it should do, i would always advise a test piece first though! Once you have the redlights done, you can freshen up with re-lights or paintbox keeping it bright.

It's really important with your red though to use a good quality professional color shampoo, i would recommend redken col shampoo, if you want loreal they do some good ones too, it really is worth the money and your hair condition will improve dramatically as well as your color staying in a lot better. The thing is healthy hair will accept warmth, but hair that is lets stay a little tired will grab onto the cool tones of the color. Its all about knowing your chemistry.

Some color ranges are based on a blue tone (wella) and some are not, so you need a good colorist who knows her colors inside out, thats why i suggested redlights as its a one step prelightening system which will deliver your red at the same time. Its not trying to cover Grey so no need for any other under tones. Am i making sense or just rambling???

i use majicontrast red where i work this lifts on very dark hair

HI

L'oreal own matrix so i should imagine they are pretty similar products.

this colour is best on naturally dark bonde to dark brown hair with no build up of dark colours on . its probably chunky slices of a hi-lift red i know clynol do a great bright red .77 ( but the results wont be as good if you are fair or very dark)

Not being a hair geek, a lot of this has gone right over my head (pardon the pun) :green:

I'm gonna print it all out and take it along to my hairdresser when I go, so thanks for all your help and input guys :hug:

Hi Phoebe cat.

Firstly what colour is your hair now?
Is it natural or tinted? If its tinted what shade? How long has it beeen there?
Is it different shades?

All these factors will determine the outcome of your chosen colour.

If your hair is natural with NO tint on at all you can go for a high lift red shade .
If your hair has colour already on it you will need to pre-lighten and then apply your chosen colour. Tint will NOT lift tint.

Most high lift colours on virgin/natural hair dont need pre-lightening and may also need a bit of colour booster concentrate in if you want it really bright. It depends on the brand.

This colour will fade quite quickly so you will need to keep on top of it also.

Its a lovely colour. Go for it and dont dorget to post a piccie.

Elaine xx:hug::hug::hug:

Hi Phoebe cat.

Firstly what colour is your hair now?
Is it natural or tinted? If its tinted what shade? How long has it beeen there?
Is it different shades?
Mmmm, good question, lol! It had a red put on about 8 weeks ago, so it is very faded, but you can still see that it's red. It's a full head and was quite a dark red.

All these factors will determine the outcome of your chosen colour.

If your hair is natural with NO tint on at all you can go for a high lift red shade .
If your hair has colour already on it you will need to pre-lighten and then apply your chosen colour. Tint will NOT lift tint.

Most high lift colours on virgin/natural hair dont need pre-lightening and may also need a bit of colour booster concentrate in if you want it really bright. It depends on the brand.

This colour will fade quite quickly so you will need to keep on top of it also.

Its a lovely colour. Go for it and dont dorget to post a piccie.

Elaine xx:hug::hug::hug:

If I get it how I want it, I promise there will be pics! I wouldn't care, but when I was at Excel, there was a woman there and I said to Marie111 "THAT'S the colour red I want!" But you know when you feel stupid asking someone what they have on, then kick yourself later :confused:

well i wanted that color as well andmy hair was a brown natural looking aburn more brown than red and i wanted to lay that colordown, i ended up using a copper base coloron my hair, go ahead and try it depending on your natural color... good luck

I have used maji red in the past and got a bright red like the one you are after, it is the same as a letterbox. You can get in from the wholsalers. I am sure if you and ask them they will recommend one, depending on your hair colour.

I agree, majirouge range is great for deep reds - I used 666 on a client who has base 4, with maybe 10% grey, and it went really nice and bright.

Latest posts

Back