I can learn how to do nails in five minutes ????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what ever reason, I am so glad to see this thread brought forward again.
On the one hand because I am smiling at the replies from some of my fav geeks who don't come on here so often anymore and on the other, because it's that time of year again and I hope that some of those fresh hopefuls will actually read the responses on here and really stop and think before they start on this wonderful, rewarding career.
Because it is wonderful, I have found nothing so satisfying as the look on someones face when I sit back and they see the finished set.
But I've spent a lot of time and money on this and plan to spend more, if you are not passionate, fascinated and dedicated to the point of obsession then stop right now.
A job is something you do to pay the bills.
A career is something you do because it excites you and makes you want to be the best.
Enough said:hug:

I'm glad you mentioned the word "obsession" as I thought I was abnormal :lol: Having only newly qualified I'm still learning and feel that I eat sleep and breathe nails at the moment, I have to admit that I started on a nail course as I was having a midlife crisis and felt I needed a complete change of career, and like many thought it would be easy:!: I was so not prepared for the complete obsession that has completely overtaken my life for the last 9 months and the hard work and committment that is required, but I am determined to get there eventually and overcome this feeling of not been good enough and striving for perfection, I will not give up :)

Hi there, well I have always been interested in nails and decided to take it up. Tbh, I had no idea where to research it, I wanted to do it at first via home learning. The first course I went for which said to be the gateway to the NVQ2, well I recieved a book, and products lol. Ever tried to do your own l&p with only a picture and some written instructions. I still have that first picture lmao! My dog could have done a better job. I have since done a 5 day course and am qualified, but feel that before I am let loose on the public I need training with a well recognised, established company. Eventually I somehow stumbled across this site, thankfully, then after spending many hours on here reading what people have to say, then realising that sometimes what may at first come across as people "having a go" at others, it isn't, you are all just so passionate about the industry, and bad techs, which is understandable. My friends all think that because I have my cert I should be rushing off and getting customers, but I wont, why because hand on heart I can say, although I know the theory my nails are PANTS lol, they think they are great, however most of them have never had enhancements, so they have nothing to compare it to. Can't wait for my training to begin, and maybe one day I will be able to truly say, I am a Master Nail Technician, and I do great nails.

well i am still ploughing through my home course with EN, and enjoying it, since committments do not allow me to go away for a few days to say (ie CND) which i would have liked to do. I am taking my time and know i will not be wham bam a nail tech in 3 months, am still learning my gel application and to get it right !!! lol.. Its not easy peasy and i think a lot of practice makes good nails..in order to reap any rewards

Although i intend to obviously keep taking courses to further my expertise in the coming future.. I have taken this path as i love nails and wish i taken the nail tech path years ago after qualifying as a beautician.

Sara

Hi there, well I have always been interested in nails and decided to take it up. Tbh, I had no idea where to research it, I wanted to do it at first via home learning. The first course I went for which said to be the gateway to the NVQ2, well I recieved a book, and products lol. Ever tried to do your own l&p with only a picture and some written instructions. I still have that first picture lmao! My dog could have done a better job. I have since done a 5 day course and am qualified, but feel that before I am let loose on the public I need training with a well recognised, established company. Eventually I somehow stumbled across this site, thankfully, then after spending many hours on here reading what people have to say, then realising that sometimes what may at first come across as people "having a go" at others, it isn't, you are all just so passionate about the industry, and bad techs, which is understandable. My friends all think that because I have my cert I should be rushing off and getting customers, but I wont, why because hand on heart I can say, although I know the theory my nails are PANTS lol, they think they are great, however most of them have never had enhancements, so they have nothing to compare it to. Can't wait for my training to begin, and maybe one day I will be able to truly say, I am a Master Nail Technician, and I do great nails.

How shocking there are courses that send you some pictures and L&P products and expect you to learn! Horrific marketing too!! "Gateway" to the NVQ2!!!!!!!! What a shame so many people waste so hard earned cash on courses like this.

Before someone writes "why don't THEY do something to stop it", THEY (whoever they may be) can't. It's sites like this that help with the education of those trying to enter the profession. That 'gateway' claim can't be stopped.

A couple of day ago I sent a message to Habia as I saw an ad for training that I considered to be just as shocking and the Co is supported by VTCT, the Guild and Habia. It is now being looked into!:mad: That's becaue it was advertising something more specific that is, at best, misleading.

I'm pleased you have spend time on learning your theory but.......true understanding of theory is when it s put into practice time and time again for many, many different people. That's when you use your understanding and put it into practice for every different individual that give you a pair of hands to work on :idea:

Hell yeh its hard work this lark of doing nails you know!!!!
We all know that if a certain standard is to be achieved you have to spend a lot of time and money to get there.
Also if youre serious and passionate about the work you produce you do end up taking a lot of knocks along the way!
I've been doing this for almost 10 years and often STILL feel as if Im struggling against the NSS and 1 day wonders in this world. I suppose its always gonna be the case and it does seem rather galling but I've stuck to my guns and refused to lower my standards or my prices - because I'm worth it! (ahh so I keep telling myself!!!)
I'm still plugging away and trying to educate those who come to me to understand the differences and benefits in top end services and products. I hope my work speaks for me because all my clients have been word of mouth refferals.
Its hard to rise above it but I try every day to be that 1 tech on the block whos style and products are different from everyone elses.
(God guys - I think I even convinced myself with that speil!!!)
I'll keep you posted cos I'm taking on a new challenge after being headhunted by a salon to take on some work there.
I'm up against it already cos the owner wears NSS nails and I'm on a mission to convert her!!!:eek:
AAAGGHHH wish me luck geeks - I think I'll need it!!!
Jayneym xxx

Hi guys,

I agree with everyone, as I am new to this wonderful world of nails, I cannot wait to learn, learn and learn, I am 100% interested in nail, the science of it, and all the health and safety aspect of it too, I have so much to look forward to I cannot barely wait, and know exactly it will all take plenty of time, however, what does annoy me slightly that a friend of mine has decided to purchase an acrylic set from the ebay site, and has boasted how many customers she has, and how many sets of nails she supposedly have perfected, and now she has brought a gel set of nails from ebay again, and is bragging. I did point out to her about all the safety issues regarding nails when working on people, and that she shouldnt have brought anything from ebay, but she hasnt listened!!! Not that i am in a position or professional in the nail industry to know too much of anything at this stage, but as someone who has taken the time,finance to learn a profession from scratch and understanding its just not about sticking on a product to a nail, and hey presto there you have it..im proud im learning the correct way, and cant wait to see her take a tumble for thinking it was as easy as 1,2,3!!

And, again, I think certain websites, give out the wrong impression that it is easy and quick to gain qualification and then your ready to earn lots of money...however I also do think that there should be a more stricter or more of a governing body to make it not so easy for cowboys or just for anyone to get hold of products and then think its ok to earn from it without the full knowledge and understanding of the trade.

Redsonia
xxx

Hi guys,

I agree with everyone, as I am new to this wonderful world of nails, I cannot wait to learn, learn and learn, I am 100% interested in nail, the science of it, and all the health and safety aspect of it too, I have so much to look forward to I cannot barely wait, and know exactly it will all take plenty of time, however, what does annoy me slightly that a friend of mine has decided to purchase an acrylic set from the ebay site, and has boasted how many customers she has, and how many sets of nails she supposedly have perfected, and now she has brought a gel set of nails from ebay again, and is bragging. I did point out to her about all the safety issues regarding nails when working on people, and that she shouldnt have brought anything from ebay, but she hasnt listened!!! Not that i am in a position or professional in the nail industry to know too much of anything at this stage, but as someone who has taken the time,finance to learn a profession from scratch and understanding its just not about sticking on a product to a nail, and hey presto there you have it..im proud im learning the correct way, and cant wait to see her take a tumble for thinking it was as easy as 1,2,3!!

And, again, I think certain websites, give out the wrong impression that it is easy and quick to gain qualification and then your ready to earn lots of money...however I also do think that there should be a more stricter or more of a governing body to make it not so easy for cowboys or just for anyone to get hold of products and then think its ok to earn from it without the full knowledge and understanding of the trade.

Redsonia
xxx

Forget it .. it'll never happen; and assuming it did, it still would not stop the cowboys. They have their 5 minutes and then it is over for them.

For some people it IS easy and quick to learn how to bang the product on ... what isn't easy and quick is all the other things that go along with being professional and this is where these people fall on their faces eventually .. when they have the problems and then cannot cope because they don't know what to do.

Hi guys,

Redsonia
xxx

I agree with you - nowhere on any manufacturers website that I have yet seen does it say - we have a 5 or 6 day course but you will make crap nails at the end.

Making a good set of nails is about as difficult as learning to drive and requires the same skills - hand/eye coordination backed up by some theory so you don't hurt people. So how can companies offer diplomas for 2 to 6 days of training?

Of course the difference is, as a potentially new nail tech you are not only learning new skills but you are hoping to earn money to pay off your debt for the training. Schools know this yet churn out the diploma's to people who are patently unfit to set up shop.

Years ago we had apprenticeships - these were wonderful as they allowed a person to gain new knowledge and skills while practicing on the job. People didn't expect to gain a new career over night - they knew it took time, patience and practice to learn. But they were respected when they finally passed their exams.

If I had a magic wand, I would create nail apprenticeships where you would learn several days a week and practice the other days until when you finally finished the course, not only were you totally confident in your nail skills but you had an appreciation of marketing and basic accounts - in other words all the basic skills required to start a new business.

This industry is already in trouble with low cost salons. Manufacturers and main distributors offering ever shorter courses makes this problem worse as it becomes ever harder to separate the difference between the true professionals in this industry and the clowns. We need serious, professional and longer courses and people coming into this industry that are willing to pay a higher price for top-quality education - on the basis that they will be taught the skills that ensure their success - not having to rely on forums for help.

I appreciate my comments may be unpopular, but sit back and think about this. Do you want to be respected as a beauty professional and earn the same money as a hair stylist or beautician - or do you want to struggle and eventually be put out of business by the low cost salons as has happened already to many of the USA nail techs?

Last edited:
Re bob's comments above this, I did a 6 day course, spread over 7 weeks, with CND at the end of it I could and did produce fairly decent nails.
It's not the length of the course, it's how that course is put together, mine was very intense, with so much homework I even dreamed about nail application and contra indications.
We were told right from the start, this is a foundation course, learn from it, practice what you learn and after 6 months come back and we'll teach you some more. The free support from CND has always been top draw and the course itself is far better then the one my local collage does and that one takes 32 weeks.
I will never stop learning about nails, there is always something more and something new and I firmly believe that the best place to learn is with the top companies. I would love to see a system in place where in order to get a licence to practice you have to prove you have not only attended a course, but produced a number of sets of nails to a good standard along with a number of re-balances and that you continue to attend further courses along the way. But no, I don't see it happening in this country anymore then I expect to see people having to have a refresher course every 5 or 10 years in order to keep their driving licence.
Freedom of choice has it's drawbacks sometimes:lol:

My comments were specifically targeted at companies that offer courses of 2 to 6 days that are sat in one go. I should have made that point clearer - sorry for any confusion.

Of course the training needs to be spread out so you can be sure that you don't get lifting over time and that you have enough time in between class days that you can practice at home.

Incidentally, in Sweden the CND Acrylic course is 14 days (although that doesn't include manicure) and the Acrylic and Gel course is 18 days. That's pretty much the same time that other schools here offer too.

I agree. I often have to re-teach students who have done college courses (not a one day course) even they can't get it right, and yes I teach those who have done one day courses too. I think this thread is done to death now though.:zzz:

Hi, I am a nail trainer in Spain and I totally agree with what you are saying. I have people that come on my course (usually 16/17 year olds) whose parents have bought them a little salon over here and they inform me (on the 1st day of the course) that their salon opens in 3 days time and they have got paying clients booked in on the first day). In Spain there are no regulations to govern who sets up and this includes hair, nails and beauty. It is so frustrating for people like me who have been in the industry for over 24 years and still go on training courses to up-date their skills and can still burst into tears if the smile lines won't do what I want them to. The only thing I can say (and this is the way I have learned to deal with it) is to think that their work will speak for itself. I know of a salon near me and the owner is 17 years old, with NO qualifications. She does the hairdressing, the beauty and also the nails. I got so worked up about it that I went in to see her and she informed me that she has taught herself off the internet (step-by-step instructions and pictures) and her clients are blissfully unaware. So try and reasure yourself that YOU/WE are the professionals and will still be around in years to come when these people have moved on and are in different jobs to earn a living. Like my husband says - you can't change the nail / beauty world over night - it's going to take a little bit longer than that.
Just as a foot note - if anyone knows how (or has any ideas) how I can get the industry regulated over here - then please feel free to reply to me.

PS I am a qualified trainer and hold Cert Ed, A1 Assessors award, V1 Internal Verifiers award, salon owner and college based NVQ trainer.

I've spent years in and out if the nails business. When I decided to get back into nails properly I retrained at quite a cost, BUT although I agree with training and updating traing, I do think that many people who have had collage training or long term training still chuck out rough sets of nails and some who have had short training courses but have practised hard and researched hard can produce good nails.

Sometimes however much a person trains they just cant get to grips with it and never will.

Hi, I am a nail trainer in Spain and I totally agree with what you are saying. I have people that come on my course (usually 16/17 year olds) whose parents have bought them a little salon over here and they inform me (on the 1st day of the course) that their salon opens in 3 days time and they have got paying clients booked in on the first day). In Spain there are no regulations to govern who sets up and this includes hair, nails and beauty. It is so frustrating for people like me who have been in the industry for over 24 years and still go on training courses to up-date their skills and can still burst into tears if the smile lines won't do what I want them to. The only thing I can say (and this is the way I have learned to deal with it) is to think that their work will speak for itself. I know of a salon near me and the owner is 17 years old, with NO qualifications. She does the hairdressing, the beauty and also the nails. I got so worked up about it that I went in to see her and she informed me that she has taught herself off the internet (step-by-step instructions and pictures) and her clients are blissfully unaware. So try and reasure yourself that YOU/WE are the professionals and will still be around in years to come when these people have moved on and are in different jobs to earn a living. Like my husband says - you can't change the nail / beauty world over night - it's going to take a little bit longer than that.
Just as a foot note - if anyone knows how (or has any ideas) how I can get the industry regulated over here - then please feel free to reply to me.

PS I am a qualified trainer and hold Cert Ed, A1 Assessors award, V1 Internal Verifiers award, salon owner and college based NVQ trainer.

Do you know something .. I hold all the same awards you do and guess what? Not one of them made me a good teacher.

Hi, i never usually reply to threads, but here goes!! I totally agree with the discussion your all having. I hate it when people think we are 'only nail techs' or 'only beauticians - how hard can it be!!', it dirves me mad when i think of the thousands of pounds i have spent in the last 7 years on training and kit, and building my business.

I also teach fast track courses, and have done so for the past 3 years. I like to think that i give a good quality training session, and prefer to work one to one, as it is more intense training, and i can give my full attention to one student, watching everything and helping/correcting as we go. I would also NEVER pass anyone who i think may cause damage/discomfort to a client, I would ask them to come back until i feel they are competant. I have to think that if anyone did that, and were then asked where they were trained, it would only come back on me and my business. I once taught at a place and was told to teach off the top of my head as the paperwork was not ready, with no kit to demo. I was totally disgusted, and after a few more instances left the training academy. It is totally unfair for students and techs who spend time and money on providing a good service. Again, i was offered a well paid teaching post, but again the service students were getting was even worse than the 1st place!! I would rather be skint than have to give that quality of service!

I do think fast track training gets a bad name, but you also have to look at the training and trainer on offer, and their own standards. My business is almost all through word of mouth and i believe that's how it should be. Also, adult learners are there because they want to be rather than forced, and i believe they should be educated that once you leave the training room, the profession is a constant learning curve and there is always something more/new techniques to learn.

Sorry to be so long winded!!:lol:

Tell me about it,I was in the hairdressers yesterday, young trainey was interested in knowing about me doing nails, she came out with the comment ..well its easy money...WHAT! I had to bite back :irked:.

You're not going to like me...i've just learnt to do my own gel overlay french style and they are better than the fully qualified nail technician that previously did them. I learn most of it from the internet (especially this site) and watching the technician. Even doing my other hand (in my case it's my left as i'm left handed) was easy enough as i've done hundreds of french polish manicures. I have tried all sorts and makes of gels which my technician didn't even know about. I ended up giving her tips! My nails are much more exciting than the usual boring french style. I've used pearl brush on whites, pearl top glosses and great pink builders with lovely glitter gels, stones and flowers. I get loads of comments! I wouldn't do it as a business or even on my friends, just me. Although the outlay costed a bit, it'll save loads of money. I have had no troubles with lifting as i did previously either. I'm quite proud of myself in fact. Please don't be mad, i'm a hairdresser and people do their own hair to cut costs and i don't get mad. It's a hard world at the moment and we have to do the best we can from the resources we have. Thankyou internet! Going to learn brain surgery next!:green:

You're not going to like me...i've just learnt to do my own gel overlay french style and they are better than the fully qualified nail technician that previously did them. I learn most of it from the internet (especially this site) and watching the technician. Even doing my other hand (in my case it's my left as i'm left handed) was easy enough as i've done hundreds of french polish manicures. I have tried all sorts and makes of gels which my technician didn't even know about. I ended up giving her tips! My nails are much more exciting than the usual boring french style. I've used pearl brush on whites, pearl top glosses and great pink builders with lovely glitter gels, stones and flowers. I get loads of comments! I wouldn't do it as a business or even on my friends, just me. Although the outlay costed a bit, it'll save loads of money. I have had no troubles with lifting as i did previously either. I'm quite proud of myself in fact. Please don't be mad, i'm a hairdresser and people do their own hair to cut costs and i don't get mad. It's a hard world at the moment and we have to do the best we can from the resources we have. Thankyou internet! Going to learn brain surgery next!:green:

Doing a French overlay as you are doing is no more than painting your nails with gel just like polish. Pretty easy for anyone which is why it is a popular service with technicians who can't use L&P or strong builder gels ... only suitable though for those who have decent nails in the first place. Not difficult to learn.

I don't think this thread was about the kind of thing you are using. It was about people who think they can learn to be professionals in 5 minutes .. and it cannot be done.

sadly nowadays alot of customers want nails done as cheap as possible.

i had somebody saying a few days ago that she wanted to find a good nail tech as she was fed up of all the bad places she went to.

i told her i did nails. told her my prices (which i dont think are expensive, and i should probably charge more!!), then got told it was too expensive!! i just thought well you get what you pay and laughed that she was complaining!!

A friend of a friend said to me the other day that their nails are so painful for 2-3 days after they are done that they can't even pick things up with their hands. Taking one look at this persons nails I correctly identified the salon where she has them done (a NSS) by the state of the enhancements and when I asked her why she kept going back she said it was because they were cheap and could be done in 30 mins......

Latest posts

Back