I fell down, and couldn't get up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Yup. I fell.

All the teasing and ribbing I give my husband. He's a one-man-destruction band, always stepping on the pets, tripping, falling, knocking pictures off walls... etc. A REAL bull in a china shop.:rolleyes:
On average, he 'falls' at LEAST once a month. On stairs, over a toy, or pet.. whatever.
One week, he fell down two different flights of stairs, and on one trip, cracked two ribs on one side. The next trip, cracked two ribs on the other. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, ok.
Soooo Saturday was 'OUR" xmas eve. Hubby was working xmas day, so for the kids, we made the 24th xmas, and the 23rd, xmas-eve.
So that night, there I was, up and down and up and down the stairs. Taking pressies from our bedroom and pc-room down the stairs to put them under the tree in the living room on the main floor.
My last trip down the stairs (literally) I was bringing the tripod for the vid cam to set it up for the next morning.
The 2nd or 3rd to last step dissappeared.
We have no railing no the outside of that flight of stairs. Down and over I went into the living room, crash bang boom, YELL.:eek: My right leg went out under me.
I lay there hollering, wondering why the kids never heard it and came running - thus ruining the 'santa' surprises under the tree. THANKFULLY they didn't.
Hubby came running and there I was, couldn't get up.
My ankle was KILLING me.
He hawled me off into the kitchen, went to get my neighbor. (this was at 10:30 at night) She's a nurse. She came trotting with crutches, bent my foot evey which way. by this time, I'm lying on the floor, crying and laughing at the same time from the pain (yeah, I'm strange that way). Frustrated by my stupidity, and how it will affect xmas. Anyway, she suspected just a sprain as it could hold my weight, just couldn't bend it.
HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE bump on the outside of my ankle:cry: :cry:
I popped some codeine, grabbed some ice (which with Raynauds and my intolerance for anything cold was PURE HELL and hurt more than my ankle already did). Next popped some gravol cause the pain made me nauseaous and I wanted to sleep through the worst of it.
The next day was complicated, but between my mother-in-law, hubby & father-in-law all insisting I go to the hospital...and THEN scaring me by saying "sprains hurt worse than breaks, and if it mends improperly, it will have to be re-broken":eek: :eek:
See, it doesn't really hurt that much, only if I try to walk? If I keep it square, it doesn't bother me. Perfectly straight? Can support my weight no problem, it's the bending that hurts.
Soooo all this talk of breaks not hurting and re-breaking scared the bejesus outta me. So, on xmas eve, off I went to the hosp.

BUT the nurse and I were right, it's not broken. It's a sprain of the 'ligament'.

So, here I am with a brace for the ankle, and a cane

Merry xmas

PS: I can't get my boots on, and it started snowing today. Guess I'm housebound
UGH

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ahhh poor you xxx:hug: :hug: :hug:

i hope your ankle gets better soon xx

So sorry to hear of your fall Victoria, that can't be a good thing with two little girls! I wish you a very speedy recovery and you have a good spirit, you'll be fine!

But I just love how you tell stories, it's funny you feel like you were right there when it happened!

Feel better hun!

aj

oh you poor thing!! i hope your ankle is better real soon xx xx

I popped some codeine, grabbed some ice (which with Raynauds and my intolerance for anything cold was PURE HELL and hurt more than my ankle already did).

Oooh Victoria, I am sorry but I just have to say this .......... " You suffer from Reynauds and you live in Canada? " Go live in Jamaica hun where it's warm, plus they got less staircases there, lol:lol: :lol: :lol: .

Seriously, glad it wasn't serious and you lived to tell the tale :hug: xx

OOOOoooo, you poor thing! No strappy heels for you this New Year's for sure! Hope you feel better soon!

Oh hun big hugs & hope you can still have a couple of drinks to celebrate. (will help numb the pain, lol)!!! :hug:
Know how ya feel though as everything was going well really till my youngest fell & banged his head on the corner of one of our tables, ended up with a deep inch gash in his hair line, bleed quite a bit. Seems ok now though he's a tough one!! Think his heads made of rubber as he's always bouncing off things without crying!!!
Hope you can have a good boxing day though & maybe it will feel better for New year!! Hey make your stick a New fashion item, jazz it up, you never know you might start a trend!!!! :)

Oh poor you Victoria i hope your feeling better real soon, i think its the season for accidents, i couldnt find our corkscrew earlier but was determined that we would have a glass or two of wine with our meal today and being too proud to ask a neighbour if i could borrow one i got a knife out ( a normal one that you eat your meals with ) i put the knife on top of the cork and pushed gently so i thought, the cork shot into the bottle, the red wine shot out of the bottle at the speed of light, all in my face, all over my new white jumper and everywhere you look in the kitchen there was wine splattered, i didnt realise till i went wash all the wine off of me and saw the blood on the flannel that i had a gash on my hand and when i looked at the bottle i had smashed the neck of the bottle so that must have been where i got my gash from, corkscrew is now on the shopping list lol, a :hug: for you Victoria

Poor you Victoria, hope it gets better soon, just think of all the time you can spend geeking while your housebound :hug:

:hug: :hug: Thanks everyone for your kind words!!:hug: :hug:

Honestly, I went crashing into quite a sad heap on the floor. I'm sure if someone had got video, it would have been a hoot. I went flying one way- arms and legs every which way, the camera tripod the other.... Hubby's asking if I'm ok, and all I can say is 'give me codeine" and "is my tripod broken?" :lol: :rolleyes:

I know, having Raynauds and living in quebec is rather stupid.:irked:
Blame my mom. I was actually born in Florida, but she decided the snowfree xmas's sucked and missed her own mom and moved back to montreal.
And then THIS xmas was a green one, go figure. No snow until today, boxing day:rolleyes:

Actually, ankle's really not hurting much. Haven't taken anything since the night that I fell. As I said, it's only if I 'bend' it to put on a boot (which I gave up trying) and to walk. So I keep it square/straight and am getting about much better.

Thanks again, and for the rest of you with your own 'boo-boos' to nurse, :hug: hope they get better soon.

Add insult to injury... I woke up with the sniffles and have been sneezing like a right fool all day. Ever seen cartoons when the eyes of a character bug out of it's head huge?? That's me when I sneeze:rolleyes:

Yup. I fell.

All the teasing and ribbing I give my husband. He's a one-man-destruction band, always stepping on the pets, tripping, falling, knocking pictures off walls... etc. A REAL bull in a china shop.:rolleyes:
On average, he 'falls' at LEAST once a month. On stairs, over a toy, or pet.. whatever.
One week, he fell down two different flights of stairs, and on one trip, cracked two ribs on one side. The next trip, cracked two ribs on the other. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, ok.
Soooo Saturday was 'OUR" xmas eve. Hubby was working xmas day, so for the kids, we made the 24th xmas, and the 23rd, xmas-eve.
So that night, there I was, up and down and up and down the stairs. Taking pressies from our bedroom and pc-room down the stairs to put them under the tree in the living room on the main floor.
My last trip down the stairs (literally) I was bringing the tripod for the vid cam to set it up for the next morning.
The 2nd or 3rd to last step dissappeared.
We have no railing no the outside of that flight of stairs. Down and over I went into the living room, crash bang boom, YELL.:eek: My right leg went out under me.
I lay there hollering, wondering why the kids never heard it and came running - thus ruining the 'santa' surprises under the tree. THANKFULLY they didn't.
Hubby came running and there I was, couldn't get up.
My ankle was KILLING me.
He hawled me off into the kitchen, went to get my neighbor. (this was at 10:30 at night) She's a nurse. She came trotting with crutches, bent my foot evey which way. by this time, I'm lying on the floor, crying and laughing at the same time from the pain (yeah, I'm strange that way). Frustrated by my stupidity, and how it will affect xmas. Anyway, she suspected just a sprain as it could hold my weight, just couldn't bend it.
I popped some codeine, grabbed some ice (which with Raynauds and my intolerance for anything cold was PURE HELL and hurt more than my ankle already did). Next popped some gravol cause the pain made me nauseaous and I wanted to sleep through the worst of it.
The next day was complicated, but between my mother-in-law, hubby & father-in-law all insisting I go to the hospital...and THEN scaring me by saying "sprains hurt worse than breaks, and if it mends improperly, it will have to be re-broken":eek: :eek:
See, it doesn't really hurt that much, only if I try to walk? If I keep it square, it doesn't bother me. Perfectly straight? Can support my weight no problem, it's the bending that hurts.
Soooo all this talk of breaks not hurting and re-breaking scared the bejesus outta me. So, on xmas eve, off I went to the hosp.

BUT the nurse and I were right, it's not broken. It's a sprain of the 'ligament'.

So, here I am with a brace for the ankle, and a cane

Merry xmas

PS: I can't get my boots on, and it started snowing today. Guess I'm housebound
UGH

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry to hear about you ankle, but you write the most entertaining stories, I was laughing through it!
Lots of love
Rachel

I feel for you Victoria, as ligaments damage is worse than a break.Benn there done that.I am thinking of you :hug: .

OWWW! Hope it gets better really quick :hug:

Oh you poor dear! I know exactly how you feel I tore the ligaments in my right ankle back in 2003, and was in a full cast for 2 weeks!! The worse pain in the world it was!!! And I walked on it for 2 days BEFORE going to the doctor...I had to be insane! :rolleyes: pm me we'll swap war stories! :hug:

Glad to hear you doing better...Keep popping them pills, who says drugs are bad? :lol: They are very good when you are in pain...Keep that leg up!

Glad to hear you doing better...Keep popping them pills, who says drugs are bad? :lol: They are very good when you are in pain...Keep that leg up!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yOU'RE WAAAAAAAAAY TOO FUNNY.

I've been doing everything BUT put my foot up :lol:
Hobbling to and fro, on a cane. I'll be a pro in no time, plan on racing all the old biddies and old farts that hang out at the shopping center. :twisted:

Now, see, this is the bizarre part.
Really........ no pain UNLESS I try to 'walk' by bending my ankle.
I've been up and down the stairs gazillion times today (two flights in my house), putting xmas crap away.. straightening up.
Now, while I am slower, cause I'm doing the 'robot-walk'? As if I don't have an ankle? No pain. AS LONG AS I keep my ankle square.
I tore a quadracept once, now THAT hurt!!! (muscle in the thigh), I swear, it took over 12mths before I didn't feel it anymore.

Usually, I'm the biggest cry baby, taking all the painkillers I can get my hands on.
I passed out getting my ears pierced
Yup, all three times:lol:
I get gassed at the dentist.
Lie down for blood tests.:rolleyes:

But, no, no pain.
UNTIL I put the damn ice on:irked: :irked: then my raynauds goes nuts, and it hurts like a mother @#$%^&@#$%^&* yeah, you heard me right LOL the air turns BLUE for all the foul language I spit out:rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone:hug:

ps: the lump is uuuuuuuuuugly (say it like the hyena does in 'lion king') as sin though lol No bruise, just huge and misshapen.
I was embarassed at the hospital though, because my 5mth old toe-nail polish was growing out :o

:hug::hug::hug:hope u will be ok soon:hug::hug::hug:

Hi Victoria
What is Raynauds??
Cheers
Rachel:hug:

Just heard this awful news about your ankle and wishing you a speedy recovery mate.

Up and down the stairs on your bottom me thinks until all is well, carefully though:lol: .

Teri x:hug:

You can take this as as sign Victoria that you need to slow down a bit! Well at least you have no choice now!

The answers vary slightly, site to site, doctor to doctor, but here's one description:

Frequently Asked Questions
What is Raynaud's?

Raynaud’s (ray-NODES) is a disorder of the small blood vessels of the extremities, reducing blood flow. When exposed to cold, the blood vessels go into spasms, which may cause pain, numbness, throbbing and tingling. Emotional distress may also trigger such a response.
The fingers are usually the primary affected areas, although toes, nose, ears and other extremities may be involved. In a typical case, fingers turn from white or blue (or both) within minutes of cold exposure then become red when they warm up. These color changes, which may vary from person to person, are an exaggeration of a normal response to cold exposure. A normal cold response in the hands is a blotchy red and white pattern. Raynaud’s-type color changes are distinctively different.
The disorder has been called Raynaud’s “phenomenon,” “syndrome” or “disease.” Although physicians have used these terms to identify different types, today the words are used interchangeably. There are, however, two major kinds of Raynaud’s that are important to recognize:

As per my rheumatologist, there is a difference between the phenomenom/syndrome and the disease. According to him, I have the disease. A blood test showed that I have too many 'anti-cardio lipids' in my blood (one of the few details that I remember) and my blood is too thick. I am at a higher risk of blood clots than most people. So much so, that I'm not allowed to take birthcontrol or other hormone related medication.
Also, when I have a cold, decongestants are very very bad for me. Decongestants restrict blood vessels, and mine are already restricted plenty. I'm not supposed to take them. So, I suffer like all get out.
On the rare occasion, when desperate, I'll take nyquil (hard to take care of kids when I'm sick and non-functional) BUT that always causes problems with my Raynauds. So either have my hands in pain OR can't breathe for all the congestion:rolleyes:

It can cause migraines also, due to the blood restriction.

Basically, I'm the family joke, referred to as "Linus" because I'm often seen dragging a blanket about. What is discomfort for most, is downright painful for me.

When my hands are suffering an 'attack' as I call it, it's like my hands are so cold, they 'burn'. When the bloodflow returns, its like having them in a blowtorch and being slammed with a hammer at the same time. Hurts like hell. It's a throbbing, burning pain.

Layering clothes helps BUT I draw the line at wearing mittens indoors:rolleyes: . I avoid visiting my mother's house in winter months as she's menopausal, and it's just too uncomfortable for me.

This is also accompanied by arthritis. Yup, loads of fun:rolleyes: :lol:

BUT at least, I dont have allergies (that I know of haha) and I could be much worse off. At least, in warm weather, I'm perfectly fine. IN FACT when it's ultra hot, I'm in my glory while everyone else is going nuts LOL

One time, wasn't so funny though.
When I used to work at one company, I sat next to the office admin. She was ummmm well, heavyset. So, she was always warm. In the summer, the a/c was cranked so high, I was wearing heavy sweaters to work. It was painful to type, even. One day after work, I went down to the metro (underground train) and the sudden change of temp from icey cold to boiling heat (we were having a heatwave) caused me to pass out because my body temp didn't adjust as swiftly as everyone else's. Thankfully, my friend was with me and I wasn't alone.
I was fed up, so went straight to my doctor's, explained. He gave me a note for my boss. The next day, the a/c was turned down and a space heater popped under my desk. I no longer had to suffer year around. The admin next to me had to bite her tongue and accept what was. Oh well. At least she learned to dress more appropriately. She was wearing sweaters to the office, and cranking up the a/c before that. In july! Like duuuuh, put on a light blouse if you're hot, it's summer.:rolleyes:

Yup, so that's my Raynauds in a nutshell.

Latest posts

Back