I give up with brushes :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebbaby

Reaction score
I am really frustrated, I just found the brush for me I bought a nfu.oh compact less than 2 weeks ago after having a cnd #8 then cnd#10 still not happy I felt I needed one with a slightly crimpped ferulle, after much deliberation I went for this brush and loved it instantly.

However I now find that when i take my brush out of its lid dip in my monomer it stains yellow :mad: but stops after few dips, so this eve looked in the brushes lid (where it is stored when not in use) and wiped a bud round the inside dipped in a little monomer,, and it came out black green and bright yellow:eek::eek:

So I am thinking the brush may not be contaminated but only the lid, and hopefully my brush will not need to go to brush heaven just yet (only 2 weeks old). Why would this happen? I am very carefull when comes to my brushs as I had contaminated one when first qualified and since then been really aware of how I store, clean etc. My brush gets cleaned in fresh monomer end of every day put back in lid and stored in my box either flat or flags down in my pot??

I am so frustrated feel like screaming. Also does anyone know how so straighten a bent brush, I have one of the master series brushes(the ones that screw on and off) from cnd (well 3 actually lol) she found them in her box of tricks never used and gave them to me, however they are bent still got gum coating I have soaked them in monomer although they are bent slightly still? any ideas please geeks.:idea::idea:

Rant over lol xx

One I would ditch the lid, sounds like contamination as the excess is dripping/evaporating out of the lid and has nowhere to go, thus staying in the lid and BACK into the brush. I keep my brushes in a metal pencil case with blue tac (very professional) in to stop them from moving around.
Two I'm not sure how badly bent your brush is but by soaking in monomer then wiping gently back into shape on a lint pad continuosly your brush should become 'trained' to the way you want it - in the case of a bent brush it may take some time but there;s no reason for it to go to brush heaven just yet!

HTH's

Admiral, thankyou. I have a cnd case the metal one although this brush wont fit. arghhhh lol will have to go shopping. it is currently hidden under my towel in lint free pad, dont want to put it in my box as will get dust on it, help?? lol x

I'm pretty sure i have read on here (some time ago now) that someone used a hair straightener to straighten their brush, hth

I have a metal lid on my brush and have never had any problems with it, Make sure you store your brush lying down :)

Also does anyone know how so straighten a bent brush, I have one of the master series brushes(the ones that screw on and off) from cnd (well 3 actually lol) she found them in her box of tricks never used and gave them to me, however they are bent still got gum coating I have soaked them in monomer although they are bent slightly still? any ideas please geeks.:idea::idea:

To straighten a bent brush .............

Clean out the gum in the brush and then dip the end into a cup of hot water (REALLY hot as in just off the boil).

Then shape the end of the brush how you want and lay out on a paper towel to dry naturally.

Remember a brush is hair and the hair will respond to heat just as yours does. I find the hot water trick a better option than hair straighteners ,, more gentle and it gives YOU the option to shape the brush exactly how you want and to dry in that shape.

Plus, have you seen what they do to your hair?? Talk about over heating and killing it! :hug:

I was thinking about doing what Geeg said with my EZ flow Brush from class (508) and adding a bit of starch to it like they have when you get them new, and then leaving it alone for about a week letting it Remember where I want it to be.

Gigi's advice is well proven and the best way to straighten a bent brush. I have had to do this many times for students who have ended up with a brush in this state, and it worked everytime. :wink2:

Regarding the contamination of the compact brush, the lid is a part of the brush so ditching it is not an option! The lid does have a hole at the end for ventilation so is not causing the problem.

Could it possibly be that the brush is just a bit too wet when you are putting it away, thus dripping onto the lid?
The brush hairs only have to be kept slightly damp. Yes clean your brush in monomer before you put it away, but give it a good wipe, shape it back inot a point then put it into the brush lid and store flat. The hairs of the brush should not touch the sides of the lid therfore cannot leave monomer on it.
I have used a #10 of this style brush for a year and have had no contamination problems, and it has travelled around with me a lot.

Last edited:
Plus, have you seen what they do to your hair?? Talk about over heating and killing it! :hug:

I was thinking about doing what Geeg said with my EZ flow Brush from class (508) and adding a bit of starch to it like they have when you get them new, and then leaving it alone for about a week letting it Remember where I want it to be.

I have never put starch in a brush and you do not need to in any case .. the shape will dry fine once you have shaped it while it is wet. You'd only have to wet the brush before using it, to remove the starch and undo all your work plus you will contaminate it using starch.

AHH I will do it with the Hot Hot water then and leave the starch out! lol
Thanks Geeg

Latest posts

Back