I need to let off steam!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugar&spice

Reaction score
Hi lovelies,
what a day ive found myself arguing with a midwife over spray tanning, here is the thing i went to a young girls home today to give her a tan, i sat down with her had a coffee did her consultation card until she dropped the bomb shell she was 10 week preggers, i was really polite and explained i would not be giving her a tan due to her being in her 1st trimester , she went running off to the kitchen whaling & and yes you got it her mother came home spoke to her daughter and then it all kicked off........

this girls mother gave me both barrells telling me that tanning is 100% safe in pregnancy and how im in the wrong, i kindly explained that i wasnt prpared to risk the babys life due to her being in the first trimester.

now forgive me if im wrong but hormones racing through your body can cause all sorts of reactions, by this point my patients was wearing thin after the mother startedinvading my space and pointing the finger and yes after 30 mins ranting i lost it..................... i gave the gun passed it to the mother i said if you reckon its 100% safe you spray her........! she stood there looking at me.I made a point of saying if your grandchild dies or your daughter reacts to my solution will it be your fault i took the gun off the mother and said i will not spray your daughter out of priciple incase anything happens so please i dnt tell you how to do your job please dont tell me how to do mineso i packed my stuff up went to my car and realised i had left my keys on the table and had to knock on again eek............

later today i saw the girl again in town with a tan i bet she never mentioned that she was preggers

Last edited by a moderator:
If that is how you feel then you did the right thing; however I am pretty sure it is completely safe, it is just it might be patchy and not take very well due to hormones etc.

I have sprayed quite a few pregnant ladies I just make them aware of the above.

Some people really make a big deal though jeeeees!

Sx

Aaaand breath lol

Stick to your principals.

I agree with you and you made me smile by handing over the gun!:D

It is up to you what you do in your business my darling and I can guarantee if she miscarried next week she would look for a reason why and the spray tan would have been one of the things she would have blamed.

I had a miscarriage the day after using some weedkiller in the garden. It was the spray on sort and it blew back in my face. I blamed that weedkiller for ages but it was me that used it. Now I know that it probably wasn't the weedkiller at all but at the time, in my grief, I was convinced.

You did the right thing so you should be proud that you stood by your principles. :)

In my training I was told that you shouldnt spray tan in the 1st trimester aswell, I say, well done you, just giggling though at the fact you had to go back and get your keys, sorry :green::eek:

Well done on sticking to your beliefs and not providing a service you felt was not suitable for your client.

In future to avoid the negative reations and having to go through another bad time like you just went through arguing about if spray tans are safe in pregnancy or not, just tell them unfortunatley your insurance will not cover you to spray anyone in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy and your happy to book her in for her tan in 'x' weeks when she reaches 12 weeks.

You did the right thing Hun , my insurance doesn't cover me for the 1st trimester so i refuse too although I expect a lot of girls don't say anything xx

Well done you! X

this girls mother gave me both barrells telling me that tanning is 100% safe in pregnancy and how im in the wrong, i kindly explained that i wasnt prpared to risk the babys life due to her being in the first trimester.

Ah, so the girls mother is a trained spray technician now!!! Well done for stcking to your guns!! As said before, it doesnt matter what they get up to in the meantime, if anything goes wrong it'll be you that gets the first call!
Good advice from Baggybear, and true too! Im sure you're not covered in first trimester..

yip ! i was also told not to tan in the first trimester or the last trimester, because if anything went wrong they might be tempted to just blame the tan. You poor thing !
but it is good that you stuck to your guns (or rather passed it, lol)

She got her mother to have a pop?
I wonder, was her mother there when she got pregnant:eek:
I'd have been scared stupid by someone ranting and in my personal space, I hate confrontations, my hands sweat heart pounds and my knees shake.
Well done you for not being bullied. I hope her tan goes as patchy as a piebald horse, yes that's mean but.............. yep I mean it:D

Well done, I too was told not to spray in the first 3 months, as a precaution and to cover insurance etc just incase god forbid anything was to happen, you cant get blamed.

It makes me wonder when qualified people tell you its not safe, they the hell they go and do it anyway? Its like a simple disregard for their unborn baby... It makes me very sad. Not only may it come out patchy, but the tanning solutions havent been tested safe in the nostrils or on the lips, and breathing all the stuff :(

I had to stand my ground with a pregnant lady wanting to use the sunbeds :irked: WTF... xx

Thanks ladies, I knew I could turn to my fellow geekies to pick me up when I'm down!!! I knew dam well I was in the right x x x

Thanks ladies, I knew I could turn to my fellow geekies to pick me up when I'm down!!! I knew dam well I was in the right x x x

To be honest with you I didn't know that it wasn't safe and if I'd booked a tan and was pregnant and then was told it couldn't be done I'd be greatful that you told me and didn't go ahead a risk the baby

Laura the mother was a midwife and reckon'd she knew best..... She prob does at babies but not when it comes to beauty!!!!

Even if my mum was a midwife and said it was safe though and you said it wasn't if there was the slightest chance of it not being I wouldn't have had it done. It's sad to think its more important to her to have a tan than look after her baby

ooh I really felt your pain about having to go back for your keys - I can just see you now stood outside when you realised!!!
But have to admit I cant stop laughing now! :o

Oh my god, that must of been horrible!! But handing her the gun, and forgetting your keys is absolutely priceless!!

Good for you girl!! I would of walked home lol!!

My mum is a midwife so I asked her if it was safe or not. She said she doesn't know because she isn't familiar with the spray tan solution. What she did say though was that you basically can't do anything in the first trimester!

Plus even shampoo can affect the baby depending what's in it, let alone spraying the area with a chemical that will react with the skin. Some people just don't think x

Latest posts

Back