Ice Breakers great conversation Topics?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layla-Louise

Reaction score
Ok so some client's may be naturally more confident and talkative than others, but what about those who are shy or don't know you- and come to you for their first treatment to test the water so to speak. I understand that some clients may not want to chat throughout there treatment but i feel its important for the therapist to make the first effort to start a conversation with them, however i feel with some clients is easy while others make it real hard work.
I always ask clients how they are when they want in? wheras some would elaborate and give me more info others would give me one word answers
The Wheather is another Topic we often talk about and how our British summer isnt shaping up to be too good lol
Holidays is another one

I just wondered what other questions or topics are good conversation starters with new clients without them thinking your too nosy but just friendly enough to build a good relationship with them.
xxx

I don't talk much in treatments but I mostly do massage and holistic treatments, so feel clients get more out of a treatment by closing their eyes and relaxing.

If you are doing treatments like nails, manis and pedis, then you have to be more sociable.

I dont force conversation on people, and sometimes it takes a few appointments before it flows more comfortably.

I do try and remember things from the previous appointment, like if they have been on holiday, been to a special event, job, family, etc.

clients like to talk about their health, and thats something that is a real filler.

I tend to tune into their own rhythm. Some people really don't want to feel that they have to chat so I respect that and just gently explain what I'm going to do. I don't really think that we should try to be overly bright and breezy, but polite and professional. In my book that means that we shouldn't try to force a conversation.

I think that might have come out all wrong!

If i have a quiet client i ask her if she has any children (hopefully she has)
all women can talk for england if it is about their children :wink2:

do you know what they say about hairdressers....that they always ask where you are going on holiday....! Well, whenever I get my hairdone, I challenge myself to ask the hairdresser where they are going on holiday before they get a chance to ask me! It makes me laugh.

Yeah i think its right that when doing more realaxing treatments such as massage and facials i never encourage conversation because i want the clients to be relaxed and enjoy their treatment, but with treatments such as; tinting, waxing, manicures and pedicures i feel you have to be sociable
I have recently started playing the radio in treatments such manicures/pedicures as clients like to hear when the news comes on and again it can generate conversations.
I do make notes on their record card i even did with one lady who always has cofee and how she takes it with one sugar and milk she commented on me having a good memory which i thought was funny lol
maybe im just stressing over nothing then lol i guess somedays people feel like talking and other days they dont. its just ive only been open a 4 months so want to give the right impression and people to know im friendly and professional.

I try not to start off with personal questions...work..kids etc until either they volunteer this information or ask me first.

I ask if they are having nails for a special occasion or just as treat....and i notice things about people all the time so i tend to mention things i have noticed...great shoes...nice perfume etc.

I am a real girls girl and love girly chats about make up, fashion etc so thats also a good one...

If I've exhausted all other 'usual' topics, I comment on a necklace / brooch / item of clothing (even if it's hideous) and that usually leads on to a chat about shops / shopping centres / websites -
name one woman who has never shopped ! LOL :lol:

do you know what they say about hairdressers....that they always ask where you are going on holiday....! Well, whenever I get my hairdone, I challenge myself to ask the hairdresser where they are going on holiday before they get a chance to ask me! It makes me laugh.

All you hairdressers out there, please forgive me for this, but I can't stand it when you ask this question !! Especially if I see you every 4 weeks and the answer remains the same :lol:

I don't know why, but it does seem to be the first question they ask you ...

Marlise

If i have a quiet client i ask her if she has any children (hopefully she has)
all women can talk for england if it is about their children :wink2:

I have four clients who have had children that have died. So literally, I've asked, 'Do you have any children?' and they have replied, 'I did have one but he / she died.' It's so unexpected, and really hard to know what to say. Last time it happened, I vowed I would never ask a client that question again. So now it's all about the weather and where they're going on holidays.

I once said to someone once were they going away at all this summer and they said yes they were probably going to prison:eek:
I also said to someone who was very bunged up ''Thats a nasty cold youve got there'' and they said ''no too much coke''

Asking if they have any pets is usually a good one - if they have any that is, can keep conversation going a while

i normally ask why they are having their nails done - is it for a special occasion.... if they say yep its for my daughters wedding.. then there u go they love talking about stuff like that xx

Ohh for me its just like a day with the girlies, my clients tell me all their problems and life stories, I love it, infact i think too much yakking & laughing goes on lol

I alwys start by asking them what else they have planned for the day...

Loving my job xx

I once said to someone once were they going away at all this summer and they said yes they were probably going to prison:eek:
I also said to someone who was very bunged up ''Thats a nasty cold youve got there'' and they said ''no too much coke''

Interesting clientele you have :lol: :lol:

Oh dear, not sure how I would have reacted to those answers :eek:

Marlise

Latest posts

Back