Illegal from June to offer more than a 14% tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So who will enforce this new "law" then, the Tanning Police?!
I don't think so!

I've never heard of any of this in the trade press which I read regularly. Think logically, Geeks - if spray tanning solution was dangerous it would all be banned, as it contains the same ingredients but in slightly different amounts. Do you really think there is an appreciable difference between say a 12% and a 14% solution?

Someone has been spreading silly rumours but goodness knows why! I'm going to forget this thread and carry on spray tanning as usual.

If there was an EU Directive which was to halt the sale/use of products over 14% DHA then they would have sent out information to advise of this months ago with a date on which this was to cease.

Not true.

And I'm sure it would have been discussed/reported on at length by the media.

I don't believe it, there's no proof, and will happily continue to use upto 20%.

Don't believe everything you read folks!

I feel that it was irresponsible for a 'professional supplier' to make such a strong statement and then fail to provide any accurate information to back up the claim. If it is true then surely Catherine can provide some clarity on the situation. When she does I'm sure other tanning suppliers would also be greatful for this information! Assuming of course that it has originated from a reputable source.

Posting such a strong statement and then failing to reply to any of the responses or questions it has generated........Well it speaks volumes to me!!!!

Surely this couldn't be an underhand marketing ploy by FI could it????

It does seem that Fresh Indulgence (and some of there clients) feel the need to take the moral high ground in regards to DHA %'s. I look forward to reading their well informed responses!

Maybe its for non uk therapists but uk therapists have also been emailed regarding this law which only applies to one country such as the us or canada or something and it was an accident that this info was given to uk therapists

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Maybe its for non uk therapists but uk therapists have also been emailed regarding this law which only applies to one country such as the us or canada or something and it was an accident that this info was given to uk therapists

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

We I can ASSURE you that it isn't applicable in the US/Canada/EU or Australia/NZ as we sell into all these areas and have heard of nothing of the sort. Australia in particular has some of the toughest laws when it comes to cosmetics etc.. (look at our BAN ON SUNBEDS for instance) and if it were to happen anywhere first, it would likely be Australia.

I agree with Lil'Gem. It is irresponsible to make these incorrect statements.

I went to buy my OMG solution from their Bolton shop last week and the lady who served me told me that from June it will be illegal to sell solution higher than 14%. X

I've never heard them say it was dangerous just that it was not necessary.

I read the thread myself last year, it's self promotion and nothing else with links to their website. Where is the proof?

Not sure why you are defending them so much, if they are going to post stuff like this to beauty therapists across the country and have it on their website them we need to see where they got their info from.

As you can see, other tanning companies have never heard of this and I'm sure they would of been made aware sooner than 1 month before it wasn't going to be illegal.

Like I said the research from last year was with regards to tanning booths, nothing to do with spray tanning manually. So if there has been some other research and law passed that Fresh Indulgence know about then I would like to see it for myself.

Xx

I am really really surprised that after sparking such a big discussion and, lets face it, quite a bit of panic for some of us tanning geeks, why on earth fresh indulgence have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Realistically they must have know that posting a comment like that on a thread would lead to questions yet no answers or clarification for any of us. All the other poor tanning companies will be so busy today with us contacting them for more info, which if this 'law' isn't true, just isn't fair on them when they could be doing something much more productive with their day than fight rumours !!

If this is a marketing ploy then I'm so disappointed with FI, especially as I had such high opinions of them, their service and their solutions.

I think it is so unprofessional of FI to start this. I myself had High opinions of this company but if this turns out to be a promotional scam then I am sorry but this will be unforgivable.
It's completely ridiculous when you think about it. Some 12% solutions are darker than 14% and what about the light medium & dark solutions.
I wouldn't like to be working in the offices of these companies today, everyone calling and panicking. It's going to be pandemonium xx

Just seen this and as its supposed to be LAW from June i think We would of heard about it, and we have nt, Neither have 2 of the other companies who manufacture solution who we speak to regularly. Total Mystery to Us.
Maybe Cathrine would like to tell us how she got this information and why is it that no other tanning company in the uk has been informed of this change in the law ??

The Sienna X team are in the same situation as Nouvatan and know nothing of any immediate changes to the law.

Adam - Sienna X

Thanks Adam for your input - still no word from FI - I'm really shocked and disappointed

Hello all,
We were told about this some months ago by our advisors.
The new cosmetic legalisation comes into force in July 2013. The new EU legislation (No. 1223/2009), is directly applicable in all 27 EU countries and will supercede any national controls on cosmetics.
The legislation requires the brand owner to register on a European website, any product he sells into the marketplace. This new legislation will dictate that all existing products and any new products will have to be safety assessed to a new, more stringent standard. The responsibility for doing this will be with the brand owner.
Nothing above 14% DHA for professional products should be manufactured and nothing above 10% DHA for retail products.
We are currently having all of our products independently tested to confirm they meet the regulations, and we will then be listed on the Cosmetic Product Notification Portal. (CPNP) well before the July deadline.
This isn’t only for spray tanning, it includes every cosmetic product. If you Google Cosmetic Product Notification Portal, you can see the extensive list of products which are included.

Hope this helps
Ambermist

Ambermist - sorry if I'm being thick here but I've got a giant migraine today & i can't make sense of your post as my eyes are hurting to read! so in a nut shell can we stock higher than 14% or not? Thanks in advance. x

Hi,

You can stock it until the regulations start in July.
From 11 July 2013 onwards you shouldnt be able to buy solution highter than 14% DHA.

What would happen with the fast tans that go darker the longer they're left on?

Confused

We dont know what % DHA is used in the various fast tans available but if they are over 14% they should not be manufactured after 11 July 2013​

I feel quite vindicated now lol

This is like the X files .. The truth is out there but we will have to find it , Having read the report fully today, Nowhere in it does it mention that it will be ILLEGAL to produce anything over 14%, if it does become law then we will obviously comply with the law. but our legal team can find nothing in this report pertaining to it being Illegal to produce tan over 14%
FI and Ambermist could you please copy and paste the part of the report that says it will be Ilegal as we are all waiting to see it in writing.

Think I've just given myself a headache going through that entire document... :irked:

I cannot find any reference to it either.

I am confident that all the large tanning manufacturers would be well aware of anything along these lines being implemented especially with the "deadline" supposedly only a few weeks away. EU directives of this nature are usually communicated clearly and many many months in advance.

Waiting.....

I feel quite vindicated now lol

Ha ha this made me laugh! Regardless of law I won't be offering a silly 20%. Ever. But each to their own. Even if it wasnt illegal... If it was deemed bad... I wouldn't do if anyway! Xxx

Latest posts

Back