Illegal from June to offer more than a 14% tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still so confused!! Firstly fresh indulgence stated that it would be illegal to buy or use but in the statement above that to me says that it's not illegal aslong as it has been passed by a chemist??
And the legislation that I've read basically says that tanning solution up to 14% is deemed safe but they have not tested above 14% as at the time of testing it wasn't available.
That to me does not say above 14% is unsafe.

Just thought id add my current thoughts without prejudice

The SCCS (European scientific safety committee on consumer safety ) issued there findings in December 2010 in a document, published stating tests and of DHA in tanning solutions and carried out tests accordingly. The tests deemed that safe usage in creams upto 10%, and in spray cabins upto 14%, (FROM THE TESTED PERCENTAGES) rightly so concentrations of higher than this percentage were not consistent to market at this date, but even so due to these findings we decided ourselves to adhere to these European Safety Council findings and manufactured upto a 14%. As far as i am aware no other tests deeming above this for the safe test usage by a European body/council have been released as yet. Some companies may carry out there own internal testing and procedures on safety of 14%+ and as there is no current law and may or may never be to restrict above 14%, as long as they have a signature of safety compliance from their manufacturer/chemist deeming the safety/responsibility of production, companies will continue to supply over 14%,,,and trust is with the responsible person for the safety data. The FDA has advised in there latest report when spray tanning it is advised masks, eye protection, nose filters are worn and mucus membranes are protected,,(this is currently ADVISED not law). When spray tanning clients its about matching there complexions to a suitable shade to obtain the best natural results for there skin type,, how far do you go before the DHA concentration starts to become unnatural on the skin ?? Where is the cut off point on DHA concentration absorbing levels to the skin ?? Is it necessary to keep increasing and increasing levels,,other than to capitalise on something new to market ?
In the sunbed U.V industry over time people have been mis informed reference tanning that the higher the wattage on a sunbed the more powerful the tanning unit is,,, this is not the case and ultimately goes on the concentration levels of UVA/UVB within the lamps, considering the majority if not all standard sunbeds within salons contain control gear to maximise the output to the 1.8m /2m lamps to 180w (ballast size) in effect whether your lamp is 180w or 250w being used the same power to the lamp is being used..which is 180W giving 180W output...,,,, The POWER of marketing to suit is brilliant but causes havoc in the True facts.

I have always wondered ref the rapid tan formulations ref the fact of if the customer washed off to early or too late,, and they are not happy with there results as either to dark or to light how this would affect repeat custom, as the client may/may not put this down to the technician or brand ? were as with general solutions there is less room for client error,

regards Alex

Oh wow! This has turned into quite a debate. So let me get this straight-basically no-one knows what's really going on!
I also feel that I have to defend Steve here and feel that he has been unfairly slated.
I know Steve and Dawn from Nouvatan personally and I can tell you this, they are the most down to earth people you will ever meet. They are always honest and there is no way they would put profit before the health of their customers.
I just thought I'd clarify this as i find the comments that have been made about Steve rather rude to be quite frank.

Oh wow! This has turned into quite a debate. So let me get this straight-basically no-one knows what's really going on!
I also feel that I have to defend Steve here and feel that he has been unfairly slated.
I know Steve and Dawn from Nouvatan personally and I can tell you this, they are the most down to earth people you will ever meet. They are always honest and there is no way they would put profit before the health of their customers.
I just thought I'd clarify this as i find the comments that have been made about Steve rather rude to be quite frank.

I second this.....strongly...x

Angelina I agree about Steve & dawn, I don't even use nouvatan so im not saying it for that reason, I've spoke to them both plenty of times over salon geek & on the telephone & they feed you no bull.

The company are as sound as a pound, I purchased a machine from LA tan it broke but Steve from nouvatan talked me through what was wrong with it free of charge & he knew I didn't buy it from his company, first class always x

Agreed! I trained with Dawn and they are an amazing company, very customer focused and highly doubt they would put clients at risk for profit!

I thank Steve for actually getting involved in this debate and trying to get to the bottom of this along with the other tanning companies. Xx

Ok yesterday we contacted BABTAC and HABIA neither had herd of anything but they would both look into it !
Today we recieved a email from Habia and is as follows, hopefully this will clear things up for us :D

Kind Regards

John and Mandy
www.decadencenailsandbeauty.co.uk

Hi John
Following our telephone conversation yesterday I have received a reply from CTPA regarding your query as shown below.
As you can see there are no regulations regarding the use of DHA as yet however the information provided to you may be solely on the manufacturers’ decision to restrict the content to a maximum percentage.
I hope this is useful
Kind regards
Wendy

Dear Wendy,

Dihydroxyacetone is not currently restricted in either the Cosmetic Directive or the new Cosmetic Regulation. It was, however, the subject of a SCCS opinion in 2010. This opinion proposed to set maximum limits for dihydroxyacetone of:

· 10% when used as a self-tanning ingredient in cosmetic formulations
· 14% when used as a self-tanning ingredient in spray cabins in aqueous solutions

The final opinion was adopted in 2011. Once an opinion is adopted as final the European Commission will usually then begin procedures to transpose the recommendations into legislation. However, we cannot be certain of the exact restrictions that will/may be imposed.

To date no legislation regarding dihydroxyacetone has been published and the SCCS has received no further mandates.

Wendy Nixon
Senior Business Development Manager
Habia
Hair and Beauty Industry Authority.
Direct Line: 01302 774935 Mobile: 07795 032456

Ok yesterday we contacted BABTAC and HABIA neither had herd of anything but they would both look into it !
Today we recieved a email from Habia and is as follows, hopefully this will clear things up for us :D

Kind Regards

John and Mandy
www.decadencenailsandbeauty.co.uk

Hi John
Following our telephone conversation yesterday I have received a reply from CTPA regarding your query as shown below.
As you can see there are no regulations regarding the use of DHA as yet however the information provided to you may be solely on the manufacturers’ decision to restrict the content to a maximum percentage.
I hope this is useful
Kind regards
Wendy

Dear Wendy,

Dihydroxyacetone is not currently restricted in either the Cosmetic Directive or the new Cosmetic Regulation. It was, however, the subject of a SCCS opinion in 2010. This opinion proposed to set maximum limits for dihydroxyacetone of:

· 10% when used as a self-tanning ingredient in cosmetic formulations
· 14% when used as a self-tanning ingredient in spray cabins in aqueous solutions

The final opinion was adopted in 2011. Once an opinion is adopted as final the European Commission will usually then begin procedures to transpose the recommendations into legislation. However, we cannot be certain of the exact restrictions that will/may be imposed.

To date no legislation regarding dihydroxyacetone has been published and the SCCS has received no further mandates.

Wendy Nixon
Senior Business Development Manager
Habia
Hair and Beauty Industry Authority.
Direct Line: 01302 774935 Mobile: 07795 032456

I know i said it was my final post on this but. but this is exactly what i said all along NO CHANGE !! :D:D: 2 ME :o:o: others. And as for high DHA solutions not being tested. How many hundreds of thousands of people have received spray tans of over 14% and have had great looking skin and had no allergic reactions

Last edited:
LA tan have announced the end of 18% today - Not sure if Fast Tan is affected as I have clients that keep that on over night for a super dark tan. I guess a lot of us LA Tanners will have to switch to Nouvatan for the darker shades if Fast Tan does go.x

LA tan have announced the end of 18% today - Not sure if Fast Tan is affected as I have clients that keep that on over night for a super dark tan. I guess a lot of us LA Tanners will have to switch to Nouvatan for the darker shades if Fast Tan does go.x

Ive just seen it on facebook, that's me ditching LA tan then as I'm sure many others will too! The comments from people on their page dont look very happy either, I don't like there cocktail it's an orange colour, I use 10,12 & disco, so what am I supposed to do stock highest of 12%..?

I don't know what's happening with the fast tan but my clients don't want a fast tan, Ridiculous. Xx

Steve what are nouvatan doing with regards to this please? Thanks x

So was this info right then?

no change at Nouvatan. We are still producing all shades from 6 to 20%

no change at Nouvatan. We are still producing all shades from 6 to 20%

So it's just LA Tanning that have decided to stop stocking it?
I thought it was new legislation?
But Nouvatan are still producing up to 20%?
I'm confused now!

www.cloverretreat.co.uk
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Bit confused. Thought it was regulation that as of today nothing above 14% can be produced?? LA and OMG have both stopped Manufacturing it but No change to Nouvatan??

Bit confused. Thought it was regulation that as of today nothing above 14% can be produced?? LA and OMG have both stopped Manufacturing it but No change to Nouvatan??

Have OMG stopped too :(?? I use OMG ! This is ridiculous when people want dark dark tans..I do more 16% than 12% x

Have OMG stopped too :(?? I use OMG ! This is ridiculous when people want dark dark tans..I do more 16% than 12% x

Yes OMG have stopped too, I have looked on there Facebook page x

Having read the response by Habia and then seeing OMG and LA Tanning's decision to withdraw higher %'s I am confused!

I wonder if these companies are responding to anticipated changes in EU law or whether as someone said earlier in this thread is that their "responsible person" is just not willing to certify the solutions above 14%?.

Dosn't make sense to me as if it were the latter, I would guess most companies would just find an alternative assessor/chemist who would certify them!

Just thought I'd add this. Although I no longer use Sienna x (I'm a Nouvatan girlie) it was nice of them to send this out via email... ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373646410.071101.jpg

I've received this email too even though I don't use them, at last somebody has explained it!

Never doubt Steve at Nouvatan.....he's the daddy!! keep calm and carry on using your 16 and 20%...;)

That's useful to see because I DO use them and am a registered salon and I HAVEN'T received it!

Latest posts

Back