I'm getting bored ... are you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
I apologise first if anyone finds this post irritating, but it is my opinion and I wonder how many share it?

Seems to me that every other post in the main forum these days is about "Look at my nails!!!" or "What do you think of my nail art"? and is all about the poster rather than for the general good of all.

First of all, nail art is so NOT what we do every day in the salon and 2nd most of what I see is not art at all. Now really beautiful nail art is a joy to look at even if it is generally not practical, but if I see another set of glitter tips that we are asked to comment on I'll SCREAM.

Where is the meat and the questions that are of benefit to all and not all about ME ME ME??

Personally I vote for a nail art section again so I can avoid all these posts and they will be out of site out of mind. All this searching for self agrandisement is too boring for words IMHO. Thank you for listening! :D

tell it like its Gigi..:D any suggestions. to get us all motivated??

Gigi, I do agree a bit- I am all for having a Nail Art section again- I think the missing MEAT is coming from getting the smackdown too often from the DRAMAgeeks... I find myself scrolling for anything resembling a question lol.

I get excited to answer them, and then have to remind myself to RELAX, so I don't OFFEND anyone *SIGH*

I am SOOOO not a fan of PC.

Maybe boring is good lol. It means there is no SQUABBLING ;)

I agree that there does need to be a separate forum for nail art due to the amount of threads about it.

I dont think that you will be able stop these threads though Geeg - dont forget it is a web site that is for what people feel they want to put on - if it is nail art then so be it.

Cant see Sam banning them - can you?

Hmm, I do kind of see your point but it does seem a bit mean for those newbies like me who genuinely want the views and advice of more experienced techs - I have just posted a nail art question after realising the separate section has gone simply because I have a need for some tips.After searching the web I have been left uninspired. At the moment all I get is enquiries about nail art and more nail art from exisitng and new clients! Probably just a christmas thing though. So, yes I think the nail art chat room is a great idea again and like you say those who want to avoid can!
xxx

Good morning Geeg.

I hear what you are saying and sometimes I feel the same way but if I just get a tiny bit of inspiration from a photo, then it's all good.

When I looked at Grafxgal's pink glitter tips in her last photo, I found myself staring at those perfect smile lines for ages and felt motivated to try that bit harder on mine.

So in my eyes, the more photos the better, I'll take what I can get from people's bravery, if it's to help me know what to do better, or to know what not to do.

Having said all of that, perhaps the Gallery would be a better place for these types of things, not threads?

I agree that there does need to be a separate forum for nail art due to the amount of threads about it.

I dont think that you will be able stop these threads though Geeg - dont forget it is a web site that is for what people feel they want to put on - if it is nail art then so be it.

Cant see Sam banning them - can you?

LOL_ I think BANNING is a little extreme- I think the point here is just that the forums here lately have been alot of "look at me." And its not a BAD thing, just a little OVERWORKED lately ;)

WHat happened to the Nail Art forum anyway? I wasnt even aware that it had gone anywhere until recently, when I went to go look up my own area there...

Hey Jac, it just seems to be the general trend now to take take from the site and give nothing back.

80% of the Posts on the first page of the main forum are 'look at me and tell me how wonderful my work is' posts and I can't see the benefit to anyone but the poster and everyone is doing it AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN. If I actually did respond and say what I really think it would not go down well.

Many of the posters have just finished a 3-5 day course and are wanting critique before they have done more than a few full sets (IF THAT) and frankly the work looks just like it should at this stage ... nothing outstanding and I just want to say, "do your time and pay your dues like the rest of us have had to do and get you head down and work at improving. Sorry, but you asked.

I dont' mind them, mainly because for many years I worked on my own and had nothing to compair my work to, or see what other techs were up to. It helped me keep my standards up and keep up to date. If i see a lovely set of enhancements with a beautiful shape and smile line I strive to match it (Dont always suceed mind you, but I try)

I like seeing pics of everything, maybe there should be a forum for pictures where you can post and people can look and reply if they want to. I dont think posting in the gallery would work as there was a thread recently about people not replying to comments placed in the gallery.

I can understand that for experienced techs it can be boring but for a newbie like me it gives me something to aim for.

I dont' mind them, mainly because for many years I worked on my own and had nothing to compair my work to, or see what other techs were up to. It helped me keep my standards up and keep up to date. If i see a lovely set of enhancements with a beautiful shape and smile line I strive to match it (Dont always suceed mind you, but I try)

Well maybe that is my problem, cause I am not seeing anything to inspire me and the ones posting are not posting in the gallery because they are not premium geeks so not giving anything back to the site either.

Maybe I am just grumpy tonight but I like to get my teeth into things and what I am seeing lately is not doing it.

By the way good mornig all Aussie geeks ... hope you all have a great week. Ignore me ... as I said it is just my opinion and I am so NOT inspired by anything I've been seeing or reading. I need to be challenged. New geeks used to challenge me all the time ... what's happened to the interesting stuff???

Well maybe that is my problem, cause I am not seeing anything to inspire me and the ones posting are not posting in the gallery because they are not premium geeks so not giving anything back to the site either.

Maybe I am just grumpy tonight but I like to get my teeth into things and what I am seeing lately is not doing it.

By the way good mornig all Aussie geeks ... hope you all have a great week. Ignore me ... as I said it is just my opinion and I am so NOT inspired by anything I've been seeing or reading. I need to be challenged. New geeks used to challenge me all the time ... what's happened to the interesting stuff???

What did you used to see from newbies then Geeg that you dont see now?

LOOK GIGI YOU MADE A MEAT! ;)

I think it would be more productive for techs to go and study the work of the techs they respect, I find myself not posting sometimes for fear of hurting someones feeling, no matter how constructive my post is- Alot of these threads are looking for PRAISE, not real constructive criticisms. If they were, they would PM a possible mentor and get cracking... I'm not saying ALLLLLL.
(last bit is for those that only read the last 2 lines in every sentence) :)

I think it's WONDERFUL to have an aspiration of what kind of tech you want to be, but I have only posted pics a couple times, specifically because I wanted my back scratched ;) When I want real critique, I bug my mentor until we get the desired affect.

What did you used to see from newbies then Geeg that you dont see now?

Well I always think new technicians are full of interesting questions that will help many other new ones to LEARN.

The first thing they should learn is that apart from being a bit of fun, nail art will not bring home the bacon and is such a small part of what we do .. only looks good on a perfectly constructed nail canvas (which new ones are not making at first) and it seems to me they all want to run before they can walk. Lets see some gorgeous nails first and THEN lets adorn them with nail art. Nothing looks worse than bad nail art done on imperfect nail enhancements again IMHO.

I used to post my pics for opinions, but have found that for the best critique, as heather says, I ask someone who's opinion means a lot to me and I know will tell it to me straight:D

Well I always think new technicians are full of interesting questions that will help many other new ones to LEARN.

The first thing they should learn is that apart from being a bit of fun, nail art will not bring home the bacon and is such a small part of what we do .. only looks good on a perfectly constructed nail canvas (which new ones are not making at first) and it seems to me they all want to run before they can walk. Lets see some gorgeous nails first and THEN lets adorn them with nail art. Nothing looks worse than bad nail art done on imperfect nail enhancements again IMHO.

I also think that some people use nail art to hide imperfections.
jmho

I usually search for the answers to my questions as i find that they've already been asked. Alot of new people that do ask questions are referred to a previous thread. Maybe its not that the new tech's are boring, maybe its just that the questions have already been answered. xx

I usually search for the answers to my questions as i find that they've already been asked. Alot of new people that do ask questions are referred to a previous thread. Maybe its not that the new tech's are boring, maybe its just that the questions have already been answered. xx
I don't think its about the questions hun,no one minds the questions, read what Gigi said in her original post.

Then I think that we need to help new techs by getting this message across to them (including me still being a newbie nail tech).

I feel it is up to the experienced techs to get this point across as sometimes us new ones cant see the wood for the trees and sometimes need to be reminded by the wiser ones on what we should be focusing on and perfecting the basics first.

It is the experienced techs that inspire the newer ones to become greater things so please continue to support us and point us in the right direction! :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back