iPhone card merchant app - which has least charges?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curvygirl

Reaction score
I have spent the last few hours searching SG and the tinterweb and can't get a definitive answer.

I've registered my interest for Paypal Here as a mobile card merchant (not available in UK yet) but want to offer the choice of card payments ASAP?

can't use iZettle as they don't accept VISA yet.

Most companies charge 2.75% per transaction with no outlay fees, (which i can settle for if i have to) but can anyone advise which iphone app they use for accepting debit/card payments and the charge per transaction

please can anyone help me? x

sage pay or competitive and offer a fixed price per transaction. Have a look on there website.

You have a smart phone so if you have a website, put a paypal button on it and use that. You can accept all cards then. If you haven't yet got a website, create a very basic one with at least your business name on it and do the paypal button. Very easy. For your information, izettle will be available soon, I am trialling it for them at the moment and its brilliant.

Or you could put the Barclays Pingit app on your iphone and use that. You dont have to have a Barclays account, nor do you clients. They then just send money from their mobile phone number to your phone number. Again really easy.

You have a smart phone so if you have a website, put a paypal button on it and use that. You can accept all cards then. If you haven't yet got a website, create a very basic one with at least your business name on it and do the paypal button. Very easy. For your information, izettle will be available soon, I am trialling it for them at the moment and its brilliant.

Or you could put the Barclays Pingit app on your iphone and use that. You dont have to have a Barclays account, nor do you clients. They then just send money from their mobile phone number to your phone number. Again really easy.

Barclays pingit needs the client to download the app and register for Barclays Pingit Wallet account - not all my clients have smartphones and I can't really expect people to register with pingit in order to pay me.

as for izettle, i don't think it's suitable for me ATM as it doesn't yet take VISA which is a bit of a limitation as a lot of debit/credit cards are VISA.

Thanks for taking the time to reply but I really need a simple 'swipe' reader or a seperate reader linked via bluetooth to my iphone.. x

Please? Anyone? Xxx

Hi

I could probably offer some advice, but could do with knowing a bit more. What is it that you are trying to do?

Are you in a salon looking for ways to take payments without a traditional pin pad, or mobile looking for portable solution.

There are in effect 2 things you need to take payments by card [not including licenses]. A merchant bank account, where the money is accepted, and a payment gateway, where the payment is processed. Some places such as pay pal offer both together.

If you are in a fixed salon, then I would suggest that a chip and pin terminal would be the best option. looks more professional and would be easiest.

If its a mobile solution you are after, then you can get a virtual terminal on you phone. Basically you log into a website and enter card details manually, your client would not need a smart phone or to do anythng really.

The other option as stated, would be a website with payment button for your paypal account.

If you want to give me a call and discus sit feel free. 0121 288 2411. Whilst we sell salon software, I dont sell payment processing, but can certainly help you look at your options.
Sean

Hi

I could probably offer some advice, but could do with knowing a bit more. What is it that you are trying to do?

Are you in a salon looking for ways to take payments without a traditional pin pad, or mobile looking for portable solution.

There are in effect 2 things you need to take payments by card [not including licenses]. A merchant bank account, where the money is accepted, and a payment gateway, where the payment is processed. Some places such as pay pal offer both together.

If you are in a fixed salon, then I would suggest that a chip and pin terminal would be the best option. looks more professional and would be easiest.

If its a mobile solution you are after, then you can get a virtual terminal on you phone. Basically you log into a website and enter card details manually, your client would not need a smart phone or to do anythng really.

The other option as stated, would be a website with payment button for your paypal account.

If you want to give me a call and discus sit feel free. 0121 288 2411. Whilst we sell salon software, I dont sell payment processing, but can certainly help you look at your options.
Sean

Hi Sean, in a nutshell, I want an iphone app with a card reader (like iZettle)but one that accepts VISA as well as mastercard.

I don't want the faff of having to input card numbers, expiry dates etc as I'm not the fastest service provider as it is ...:o

Hi Sean, in a nutshell, I want an iphone app with a card reader (like iZettle)but one that accepts VISA as well as mastercard.

I don't want the faff of having to input card numbers, expiry dates etc as I'm not the fastest service provider as it is ...:o

does such a thing exist in the UK yet?...:sad:

I would try these

Certified Solution Directory - Authorize.Net

not sure how reliable they are but there a 'big name' and do offer services in the uk?

Had a look but made my head hurt! Lol!

Decided to go with iZettle for the time being, if Paypal Here accepts more cards when it goes live, I'll move to them...

Thanks 4 your help :)

does such a thing exist in the UK yet?...:sad:

Unfortunately no, not really. We've looked at the iZettle, but the limitations on business cards means too much restriction for clients. Square looks like it would be brilliant, but I'm not sure how well it would translate (US rules on credit card security don't involve things like chip and pin etc).

Hopefully they'll work around the limitations soon, but until then there's not much as far as a portable method available so far.

Unfortunately no, not really. We've looked at the iZettle, but the limitations on business cards means too much restriction for clients. Square looks like it would be brilliant, but I'm not sure how well it would translate (US rules on credit card security don't involve things like chip and pin etc).

Hopefully they'll work around the limitations soon, but until then there's not much as far as a portable method available so far.

it's pants innit? x

Square is pretty much the same as izettle, but not available in the uk yet.

Anyone had any updates on this subject yet? I have izettle but still not taking visa yet. They are trying to get apparently but we just have to wait. Any joy with "PayPal Here" yet anyone?

Have you looked at mPowa? They accept all card types and in the next month or two they are releasing the worlds first full Chip & Pin device for full security and peace of mind.

Mat

Yes, like Matt I too was going to suggest you look at mpowa.com
hth x

I am in the exact same boat lol

I'm waiting for PayPal Here to come to the uk but in the meantime I've got iZettle and have honestly never used it because my clients don't have use MasterCard or AmEx!

I want the same as you by the sounds of it, a card reader accepts all major cards, plugs into my iPad with no monthly fee and a reasonable transaction charge - how hard is that?!

I have just found another option today. They take both Visa and Mastercard.
Its called SumUp. Again its a gadget to attach to iphone and you insert the card. You can also put your products etc in so that you just select what treatment etc the client has had and charge them. Very similar to izettle but accepts Visa which is exactly what I want.

There are others that I am also looking at but will wait to see what this one is like first. Will post the outcome on here when I get it and use it.

I have been able to use the card machine in the salon I work within lately, but today got the impression that the owner doesn't really want me to do it any more. It hardly ever happens as my clients normally pay with cash. Todays card payment was probably only the third time since I have been there.

But obviously I would be happy to have my own system anyway.

Oh, just had a quick look at mpowa. That looks good too! Will bookmark the site for later use if necessary. Thanks for the heads up.

I have a blackberry and mpowa don't have the facility at the moment. I'm considering getting an ipad just so I can register with them.

Latest posts

Back