Is anyone starting college in September?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow sounds like you have a LOT to carry. Glad you're first day sounds like it went well. It's good that your group of girls sound nice. Are there varied ages in your group?

With your two big folders, do you think I need to buy an A4 folder to take with me on the first day, or where your folders provided with your kit?

Yeah most of us are mid 20s but there's 2 19 year olds and a few over 40 all lovely though so far id wait to get folders because they said we had to get specific colours for our portfolio ect x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeah most of us are mid 20s but there's 2 19 year olds and a few over 40 all lovely though so far id wait to get folders because they said we had to get specific colours for our portfolio ect x

Thank you! are you back in today? Hope your little one is managing ok too x

Thank you! are you back in today? Hope your little one is managing ok too x

Yeah in all day today cant get my stupid hair donut in right ha it looks crap yeah shes been fine she's with my mum today so probably be spoiled! X

Yeah in all day today cant get my stupid hair donut in right ha it looks crap yeah shes been fine she's with my mum today so probably be spoiled! X

Hehe does everyone have to wear the doughnuts? That's what my tutor told me, but I don't know if everyone actually will or not. That seems pretty strict if so! Haha

I always find it easier if my hair is wet or at least a bit damp, otherwise my hair is just too springy and won't shape around the doughnut thing and it's a nightmare.

Hope you have a good day! Let us know what you covered today! And all the best dragging a billion things across with you. Forget eBay beauty trolleys - it sounds like you need a tesco trolley! Haha that would be perfect! 😃😃

Just wondering, does anyone know in general if you are supposed to collect your uniform / kit in advance from the college (my kit was being delivered there) or if you just waited and collected it on the first day of your course?

I've tried to ring the college but there's no one there in the department. Any ideas welcome :)

As expected I am the oldest on my course, although there is another lady 44, so I am not on my own. My course is part time two evenings a week so it is pretty intensive. The first night was just paperwork rules and regulations but we did start doing hands on stuff on the second evening with facials starting with laying out the treatment bed and setting out the trolley and then going on to cleansing. I am starting my work experience 2 days a week next Monday, so a bit nervous about that!:cry:

Hehe does everyone have to wear the doughnuts? That's what my tutor told me, but I don't know if everyone actually will or not. That seems pretty strict if so! Haha

I always find it easier if my hair is wet or at least a bit damp, otherwise my hair is just too springy and won't shape around the doughnut thing and it's a nightmare.

Hope you have a good day! Let us know what you covered today! And all the best dragging a billion things across with you. Forget eBay beauty trolleys - it sounds like you need a tesco trolley! Haha that would be perfect! 😃😃

Yeah we all have to wear donuts apart from 2 girls whos hair is to short bit they still have it up. Taking the stuff was a nightmare even with a suitcase! I had my bag on my shoulder my suitcase in 1 hand and 2 folders in the other hand so dunno how im gunna push a buggy aswel!!:eek: we did some thoery today and started on facials we did a cleanse, tone moisturise on each other were starting real clients in 6 weeks :eek: so far its been good I think next week will be better as wev sorted out all the enrolment bits now! X

Just wondering, does anyone know in general if you are supposed to collect your uniform / kit in advance from the college (my kit was being delivered there) or if you just waited and collected it on the first day of your course?

I've tried to ring the college but there's no one there in the department. Any ideas welcome :)

Mine got delivered to my house no harm in going in and seeing if its there though x

As expected I am the oldest on my course, although there is another lady 44, so I am not on my own. My course is part time two evenings a week so it is pretty intensive. The first night was just paperwork rules and regulations but we did start doing hands on stuff on the second evening with facials starting with laying out the treatment bed and setting out the trolley and then going on to cleansing. I am starting my work experience 2 days a week next Monday, so a bit nervous about that!:cry:

Don't be worried about being the oldest on your course. I'm in my 20s and am hoping that my course has a really broad range of ages, because I think that would be nicer. Last year, thr tutor said they had ages between 19 and 65 😃

Don't be worried about being the oldest on your course. I'm in my 20s and am hoping that my course has a really broad range of ages, because I think that would be nicer. Last year, thr tutor said they had ages between 19 and 65 😃

Our ages range from 19 to 55 mostly mid 20s but theres at least 5 ladies over 30 aswell x

Hi everyone. Glad to hear you're all starting your courses and settling in well. No such luck here...I went to my interview, was offered a place and went to enrol next day only to find the student guidance dept had no info and couldn't enrol me as they couldn't get hold of the tutors.

Was told they'd be in contact but had heard nothing two days later so I phoned up and was told to come in and enrol. So off I went again to be told very casually that the course wasn't running due to lack of demand and that someone should've phoned me...they hadn't!! The college was a shambles.

So the lady at my placement recommended a local training school but they only do full time courses which isn't possible with the little ones to look after. So I decided to go for one of their part time evening courses instead and do everything individually - I start my NTCT level 2 in nails in just over a week and I'm really excited now! Plus it's only 3 hours a week for 10 weeks so suits me perfectly. Shame about the placement I had lined up though, but she was very understanding luckily as she'd had a similar experience with the college in the past. Quite glad I'm not training there now!! X

Hi everyone. Glad to hear you're all starting your courses and settling in well. No such luck here...I went to my interview, was offered a place and went to enrol next day only to find the student guidance dept had no info and couldn't enrol me as they couldn't get hold of the tutors.

Was told they'd be in contact but had heard nothing two days later so I phoned up and was told to come in and enrol. So off I went again to be told very casually that the course wasn't running due to lack of demand and that someone should've phoned me...they hadn't!! The college was a shambles.

So the lady at my placement recommended a local training school but they only do full time courses which isn't possible with the little ones to look after. So I decided to go for one of their part time evening courses instead and do everything individually - I start my NTCT level 2 in nails in just over a week and I'm really excited now! Plus it's only 3 hours a week for 10 weeks so suits me perfectly. Shame about the placement I had lined up though, but she was very understanding luckily as she'd had a similar experience with the college in the past. Quite glad I'm not training there now!! X

Gosh what a hassel! Glad you got it sorted in the end though :)

Im starting a start Your own business course on the 23rd. Exited!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ugh I no once my daughter starts nursery every day im gunna have to take my handbag, 2 huge folders, huge book, all my kit, pushchair, daughter's lunchbag and daughter's main bag oh and the child! Why on earth have you got a assessment already:eek: whats it for? Everything is soooo expensive! And im really annoyed because I spent £30 on a kitbag and now im gunna have to get a bigger one which will be about £50 im broke!

Oh god I know , better off with a suit case no joke lol! My assements on preparing hair for wigs and putting the wig cap on then measuring the head and then making a wig cap thing. I am already a hairdresser so I'm quite a head compared to some others... Which is a bonus i'll fly through all that stuff lol! Oh no !!! thats going to be a nightmare capital hair & beauty have nice we trolly ones think they were quite cheap if not i got a large trolly case of ebay for £56 i think and it fits like my spray tan machine, and all my tanning stuff and that all locks to its fab! Love it xxx

Ok, I start my first day of my level 2 beauty course today! Eeek I'm so nervous! I feel like maybe our course is one of the later ones starting - has everyone already been going a week or so, or is anyone else just starting this week?

So, I've got my hair in a doughnut, nice neutral makeup on that's kind of 'put together' but not OTT. My tunic and kit have been delivered to the college, so I'm wearing my black trousers, new black closed toe (flat!!!!) shoes, and probably wear a dark navy blue top until I get my tunic. I'm going to see if I'm allowed to wear my little sparkley stud earrings. My fringe isn't pinned back at the moment, so I'm not sure if that's ok or if it has to be pinned back.

It's been almost 10yrs since I did my a levels in school (wow I feel old suddenly!) and so I'm dead nervous. I hardly slept last night! :)

I've got a big A4 refill pad and a A4 ring binder. When I was in school, we used to take huge pencil cases stuffed with every writing implement known to man, but at the moment I've just got one ball point pen haha! Erm. What else, and a bottle of water. That's it really.

Does this sound about right for a first day? Is there anything I should be taking that I'm not?

Wish me luck!! :)

Ok, I start my first day of my level 2 beauty course today! Eeek I'm so nervous! I feel like maybe our course is one of the later ones starting - has everyone already been going a week or so, or is anyone else just starting this week?

So, I've got my hair in a doughnut, nice neutral makeup on that's kind of 'put together' but not OTT. My tunic and kit have been delivered to the college, so I'm wearing my black trousers, new black closed toe (flat!!!!) shoes, and probably wear a dark navy blue top until I get my tunic. I'm going to see if I'm allowed to wear my little sparkley stud earrings. My fringe isn't pinned back at the moment, so I'm not sure if that's ok or if it has to be pinned back.

It's been almost 10yrs since I did my a levels in school (wow I feel old suddenly!) and so I'm dead nervous. I hardly slept last night! :)

I've got a big A4 refill pad and a A4 ring binder. When I was in school, we used to take huge pencil cases stuffed with every writing implement known to man, but at the moment I've just got one ball point pen haha! Erm. What else, and a bottle of water. That's it really.

Does this sound about right for a first day? Is there anything I should be taking that I'm not?

Wish me luck!! :)

Aw good luck! Im back tomorrow week has gone so fast sounds like youv got everything sorted let us know how it goes! X

Sounds like you have everything :)
I have a fringe too and havent had to pin it up so you should be fine good luck

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks Stephanie13 and Izabluebella! I guess I'll feel a bit better once the first day is out of the way, I'm just a bit of a stress head I think!!! I hope your class goes ok tomorrow Stephanie! I'll let you know how I get on!

Get some highlighters they come in handy (y) x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ok so had my first day. It was great, but quite a bit of paperwork etc. plus we had a maths and English test, which was soooo hard! But once we got that done, we had a demonstration on eyebrows and then practised on each other. About 18 ladies in my class, ranging from 20 years old to 4 ladies in their 50s so I'm so glad it's a nice range of ages. And the girls all seem really friendly. I think everyone was nervous, not just me!

It was a shame that there was a mixup with our uniforms and kits. Everone was told they would be waiting for us at the college, but it turns out they are at the other end of town waiting for us to pick up! So we are all going to have to go in to pick them up before next week. It made it hard as there wasn't enough tweezers to go around. But it was good fun, and I really enjoyed it once we got onto beauty stuff (there's lots of college paperwork etc first!)

Latest posts

Back