Is it the same everywhere?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylieb

Reaction score
Hello Geeks! I haven't been on for a while. Eventually got a day off so here i am :)

I've been working in a spa full time for a while now and i'm just not feeling it. I was mobile before for a few years and to be honest at the moment i'm enjoying the guaranteed wage but all the bitching is doing me in!!!
Are all salons like this? Or is it just mine? I cant be doing with all this bitching behind peoples backs and not talking to someone just because you don't like them. It's getting to the point where I just want to find another job. I dread going to work and I love what I do. Is there any point? Is all of the beauty industry like this or have I just been unlucky?

I would love to hear from you guys and your experiences with this

xxx

I have recently left a salon due to all the childish bitching!!! It started to really grate on me and I began to dread going into work!!!

I have worked for three different salons in the 6 years I have been qualified and they all had a certain degree of bitching in them, however, the most recent was by far the worse and so I chose to leave.

I am now put off by working in a salon environment so have chose to go it alone!!!

Im sure not all salons are bitchy but I think when you get groups of girls working together there are bound to be some bitchy moments!!!

I have recently left a salon due to all the childish bitching!!! It started to really grate on me and I began to dread going into work!!!

I have worked for three different salons in the 6 years I have been qualified and they all had a certain degree of bitching in them, however, the most recent was by far the worse and so I chose to leave.

I am now put off by working in a salon environment so have chose to go it alone!!!

Im sure not all salons are bitchy but I think when you get groups of girls working together there are bound to be some bitchy moments!!!

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad to know it's not just me thinking this. Your so right, it is so grating. I was expecting a bit of bitching but this is beyond a joke.
Are you going mobile now or renting a room? xxx

hairdressers are the same, salons that is........
the last place i was working was awful everyone just moaned and bitched constintly, you'd be scared to go in the staff room incase someone started moanin down your ear about another stylist!
you had to be so careful what you said as well or it would be twisted and passed on!!!!:eek:
nightmare!
i now work mobile and love it!! x

People will always bitch its part of life. Its often those feel inferior who try to get themselves on top by belittling everyone.

Its hard to rise above it and this is the reason I prefer working in a company of men ~ although they can do just as much their equal share too :eek:!

Even working on your own you can get it. If its not your regular clients bitching about their friends its your competitors bitching behind you back.

Some days it does get on top of you but you have to learn to ignore the rest. It doesnt even matter if you have nothing or have everything, or if you are drop dead gorgeous or a plain Jane or whether you work alone or in a workplace full of pre madonnas your going to get some bitching.

I just try the be nice always approach ~ doesnt always work but I would rather not rise to it unless someone really keeps on at me.

x

Must be very lucky at my salon (I am the boss btw), I have 3 lovely girls who work with me and we usually have a work experience girl once a week and we all seem to get on fine . . . usually it's only the occasional client who might wind us up! Seriously I suppose we all have our off days now and again, but usually we have a bit of a laugh and enjoy our work.
Maybe it would be different if the salon was larger and had more staff, or if I was working for someone, I don't know.

Must be very lucky at my salon (I am the boss btw), I have 3 lovely girls who work with me and we usually have a work experience girl once a week and we all seem to get on fine . . . usually it's only the occasional client who might wind us up! Seriously I suppose we all have our off days now and again, but usually we have a bit of a laugh and enjoy our work.
Maybe it would be different if the salon was larger and had more staff, or if I was working for someone, I don't know.

Oh Tog...give me a job ha ha. xxx

I know what you mean...I've worked in salons where bitching is rife but unfortunately we work in an industry where it's generally women and gay men it's gonna happen.

One of the reasons I left working at a spa to work for myself was this exact reason. Although, I think that the more staff employed, the more problems that arise. When there is less staff, you become more tight and less in-fighting.

Best advice i can give you is get out now , honestly it only gets worse.ive just been in the same sitution and left to relocate my buisness (as i was renting a room) i feel myself again such a happier person...wooo.. Good Luck x

And i dont believe it happens everywhere..:)

alot of people that applied at my salon mentioned it generally happens in bigger salons.. and well known one also

luckily there only 2 staff stylist and 1 therapist employed by me as we are small..but if its a big salon its more likely to happen

Oh Tog...give me a job ha ha. xxx
Mind you, I just had a thought . . . maybe they all bitch about me when I'm not there! :eek:
well, even if they did, what I don't know don't hurt me!
But seriously, the size of the salon could be relevant as one or two other people have commented on the same thing since my post. I wonder?
Good luck with whatever you decide to do Kylie.
Cathy x

Gosh i'm thinking now that i must be lucky!
I love going to work and we all get on. We are always having a laugh. I've had clients say they would love to work at my shop as we are always happy and laughing.
I have been in a few salons in the past though (as a client), where i've noticed a bit of bitching. It's quite off-putting to clients and they pick up on a bad atmosphere.
You spend a third of your life at work so you really don't want to be unhappy. I always think it's time to move on when a job becomes a chore.

I work with nearly 300 people, mostly men and trust me they bitch and back stab just as much as the women:lol: and I can't be doing with it, so I made it clear from the start, I talk to anyone I want to and anything I've got to say will be said straight on, no whispers, no back stabbing and I won't have it going on around me either. I wouldn't let anyone force me out of a job I love, not when I could possibly stop the back biting with a little chat to my co workers and stop all the playground stuff that's ruining it.
And if you are going to leave, well clearing the air about all the childishness might save your replacement from the same sort of hassle :hug:

Not all salons are like the one you have experienced. the culture of any business or any salon starts from the top! If it stinks ... then like a fish .. it stinks from the head down.

Look at the owner of the salon very carefully ... next time.

I usually find that salon bitchiness is caused by one bad apple, with a bad attitude. It can happen in a small as well as large salons.
Over the years I have had to tackle this problem, and I treat it in the same way as bullying in the workplace.
Some women just HAVE to be queen bee, and will be vile to whoever threatens that. Sad little cows usually.

Not all salons are like the one you have experienced. the culture of any business or any salon starts from the top! If it stinks ... then like a fish .. it stinks from the head down.

Look at the owner of the salon very carefully ... next time.

very very True Geeg!! The owner of the salon I left was the main source of all the bitching and it seemed to rub off on everyone working there!

No real bitching at mine maybe abit of a moan but nothing horrible . and theres loads of us .

Latest posts

Back