Is over 40 too old to have a baby??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachp

Reaction score
Just wondered what the general consensus was on this subject, do you think it is a "how old you feel" thing or "not fair on the child when they have old parents. What do you all think?

This would be best discussed with a medical practitioner, there are many risks associated with having babies after 40.

I think over 40 is fine. My trainer had a baby when she was 48, she's 50 and her little boy is 2 now, she runs about after him fine and she still competes (events) regularly, even though she thought she might have lost her bottle after having him!

I don't think there's a prob as long as there is enough time and love!

This would be best discussed with a medical practitioner, there are many risks associated with having babies after 40.

I think rachp meant this morally, rather than one's physical ability to have children

i was just putting it up for general discussion, as i think its an interesting topic in this day and age with a lot of career women choosing to have families later, I wasnt thinking along the lines of medically :)

ooh Amy you beat me to it! x

I see nothing wrong at all with having a baby at 40.50 yes.There are plenty of tests you can have now to check for any abnormalities.
I personally am glad i had mine younger i wouldn't want to be doing the baby thing now and the teenage stuff in my 50s but thats just me.

Morally it's ok, so long as you take into account the risks involved, your eggs aint all that good after 40 though (you don't produce new eggs,(you are born with all your eggs) they just mature in your system not as good). Physically of course it's possible and should be quite acceptable, but you'd be better off with younger donor eggs to avoid the risks.

I think it is a very personal thing to be honest. All sorts of things factor into this kind of decision such as ones own physical and mental health etc.......

I had my 39th birthday after my second child was born. She is gorgeous and healthy but my pregnancy was difficult. Really tough in fact and my hubby kept on reminding me that it was because I was no longer a 'spring chicken' :lol: .

It is an important point though, that the risks of problems for the foetus are markedly increased over the age of 40. If problems were detected, would the parents (in their 40's) be willing and able to continue with a pregnancy and subsequent birth of a child requiring an enormous amount of care?

I think rachp meant this morally, rather than one's physical ability to have children

I think physical ability comes into the moral issue though. In one's 40's one is able to physically have children, but the associated risks can create a moral dilemma.

Morally it's ok, so long as you take into account the risks involved, your eggs aint all that good after 40 though (you don't produce new eggs,(you are born with all your eggs) they just mature in your system not as good). Physically of course it's possible and should be quite acceptable, but you'd be better off with younger donor eggs to avoid the risks.
Egg donation.Now thats something i couldn't do.
I think i would sooner not have a baby than have one that is genetically not mine at all.
Not really sure why i feel like that.Just wouldn't want to do it.

Couldn't donate my eggs either i might add.

nailzoo said:

AmydeMan said:

MrsClooney said:
I think physical ability comes into the moral issue though. In one's 40's one is able to physically have children, but the associated risks can create a moral dilemma.

Yes I understand nothing is cut and dry, there will always be a grey area. Of course morals relate to everything, including medical risks.

But I thought rachp wanted more to discuss people's views of older mums and bringing up kids in your 50s and even 60s, so pointed this out. I didn't want her thread to be cut off in its prime! :green:

My ovaries started clucking again when I turned 40! I was 42 when I fell pregnant with my boy. He is a gorgeous boystrous 3 year old and I adore him. My other children (daughters 22 and 17 love him to bits too!)

Its hard work, and in the first 6 months I must admit feeling pangs of 'what the hell have I done' but I wouldnt be without him now...he's so adorable, and so bright ..its like a light turns on when ever he opens his mouth.. which is constant these days lol! Yadda yadda yadda.... but you can't beat 'I love you mummy' and big squiggy cuddles... its great!

Nailzoo said:

AmydeMan said:

Yes I understand nothing is cut and dry, there will always be a grey area. Of course morals relate to everything, including medical risks.

But I thought rachp wanted more to discuss people's views of older mums and bringing up kids in your 50s and even 60s, so pointed this out. I didn't want her thread to be cut off in its prime! :green:
I obviously misunderstood. Sorry!

I had my first child at 20 and my next at 29 and believe it or not I am one of the older mums up the school. I am now 35.

Personally I woulnd't have children later as now I am following my chosen career. I get sooo tired somedays and have made a decision not to have anymore children BUT if I did fall pregnant again it wouldn't be the end of the world. We are just very careful:wink2: .

My 5 year old wears me out and she is very clingy i don't feel I would cope very well if I had another and there has been health scares that come as you get older.

That's just my personal opinion though!! many people cope very well and are exceptionally happy and in some cases have been waiting for the blessing of a child all their lives.

Teri x:hug:

I wonder how old I'll be when I have my first. I always wanted to be settled in my own home before I have children. I'm 24 now, but realistically can't see my self moving out of my parents for another 5 years at least, with house prices and everything. My close friends already have children, one is due her 2nd any day:eek: So I'll probably be mid thirties when I start!!:hug:

my grandad is 81 and his wife is 41 and they have 4 kids together aged 16, 11, 7and 3

i don't particularly think its your age i think its your mentality

I'm 37, my children are 15 and 13... there's no way on this earth that I would consider doing the baby thing again, not a chance, even if you paid me!!! :lol:
However, if other people are happy to have children in their 40's and older then that's their prerogative and I'd never try to change their minds.

I made the decision in my 20's not to have children at that stage and have a career instead. However, whe I reached my early 30's we decided that we now wanted to have a family as both Steve and I were then ready. However, it took a couple of years before we were told that we would not be able to concieve naturally and had to then have fertility treatment, which to date has not worked.

If we were to try fertility treatment again, we would both be in our 40s - so the arguement being, do you think it is any different, morally to have children in this case in your 40s than not at all?

Latest posts

Back