Is over 40 too old to have a baby??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ermmm HELLLOOOOOOOOOO

Since when did 40 become old??????

If we were to try fertility treatment again, we would both be in our 40s - so the arguement being, do you think it is any different, morally to have children in this case in your 40s than not at all?
I think it's up to you and your partner... it isn't up to anyone else to decide whether it's morally right for you to start a family in your 40's or not, it's a personal decision. If you're healthy and you manage to conceive then go for it, you wouldn't be trying with IVF if you thought you were morally too old :hug:

The thing is...
everyone has an opinion on how old we should be to have babies, whether those opinions are right or not is up to the individual, it's the right of each and every one of us to decide when the time is right in our lives to have children, it's not something that anyone can dictate to us unless there's medical reasons why we shouldn't go ahead.
At the end of the day Mother Nature wouldn't have left us with ovaries at 50 if it weren't possible to have a child!

Being late thirties and pregnant, I think its fairly obvious I have no issue with being pregnant at this age. I also hope to go on to have another child.

In fact, after various tests, my consultant has rated as me in better fertility and maternal health than the average 26 year old, so I guess a huge part of it comes down to how well you look after yourself!

Thanx Sandi im a bit of a useless buggar with these quote things! :confused:

I think it's up to you and your partner... it isn't up to anyone else to decide whether it's morally right for you to start a family in your 40's or not, it's a personal decision. If you're healthy and you manage to conceive then go for it, you wouldn't be trying with IVF if you thought you were morally too old :hug:

The thing is...
everyone has an opinion on how old we should be to have babies, whether those opinions are right or not is up to the individual, it's the right of each and every one of us to decide when the time is right in our lives to have children, it's not something that anyone can dictate to us unless there's medical reasons why we shouldn't go ahead.
At the end of the day Mother Nature wouldn't have left us with ovaries at 50 if it weren't possible to have a child!
Yup, I agree, which is why I said at the beginning of this thread, 'it is a very personal thing'.

Oh, and may I just add, that personally, I feel that I am a much better parent to my toddler at the ripe age of 43 than when I was 30 to my first born.

I don't think it's too old at 40... Time is right when it's right for each individual I reckon!

My boyfriends Mum had another child at 40 and has a sweet little 5 year old girl!

My mum had me when she was 40, for her it worked out great as she was able to go travelling and do what she wanted for over 20 years.

The only thing i disliked about it was all my friends mums were younger than mine!

Well I hope not!! At this rate my first child will be at 40! LOL

i think its all personal choice i thought i was 2 old at 31 but was ok i now look after my grandaughter at 40 and i am well knacked but love does keep you going
good luck
xx

I had all of my children in my twenties.For me this was what I wanted and I am glad I have got it out of the way.

I really dont think I could cope with anymore children now(I cant,anyway but that's besides the point)

I think it's down to health,fitness,state of mind and what you really want but I know that I couldn't do all the sleepless nights,nappy changing,terrible two's and all the malarky at 40.Nope, for me I am glad mine are older and that,that bridge has well and truely been crossed.:)

I had all of my children in my twenties.For me this was what I wanted and I am glad I have got it out of the way.

I really dont think I could cope with anymore children now(I cant,anyway but that's besides the point)

I think it's down to health,fitness,state of mind and what you really want but I know that I couldn't do all the sleepless nights,nappy changing,terrible two's and all the malarky at 40.Nope, for me I am glad mine are older and that,that bridge has well and truely been crossed.:)
I think if it ends up not being choice though, you learn to adapt and it begins to feel right at 40 or 40+. What do you think peeps?

Hiya

I never had kids(choice)

my father was 40 when i came along...He's getting quite i'll now and i feel like ive lost out on all those years.
I love him sooo much and it saddens me to see him weak.

I WOULD NEVER CHANGE MY LIFE..IT WAS THE BEST

The bonus of having older parents

They sleep all night...you can have what you like on TV
They eat early... tea is always ready for when you are home from school
they have paid for the house/morgage...all joint wages are spent on you
they are not as sharp as they use to be...sooo coming in late at night while they are sleeping in front of TV (easy)
hearing is not as good as it used to be... put your music on any volume anytime

and lots lots more

Good parents ROCK

Have kids enjoy then no matter how old you are

Jenx

I obviously misunderstood. Sorry!

I think if it ends up not being choice though, you learn to adapt and it begins to feel right at 40 or 40+. What do you think peeps?
I have many older mums who are clients Tracey and I am sure you're right,lets face it,if you have a baby at 40/50 even, then you have no choice other than to adapt,cant send them back and wouldn't want to either eh!!!!

Just if I had a choice for me it would be NO,not for me.But each to their own.

I couldn't even begin to imagine having children in my 40s, to much like hard work, I had my sons in my early 20s and my daughter at 32 my body was very p****** off with me for putting it through it all again the third time.

then there are all the associated health risks and being an older parent/grandparent less energy etc.

but why not if its what you want.

Hiya

I never had kids(choice)

my father was 40 when i came along...He's getting quite i'll now and i feel like ive lost out on all those years.

they are not as sharp as they use to be...sooo coming in late at night while they are sleeping in front of TV (easy)

and lots lots more

Good parents ROCK

Jenx

Im not sure if the above was meant tongue in cheek but my mum & dad are both 62 & id have to disagree with most of the comments, The way its sounds to me is that the above makes anyone over the age of 50 sound like they are geriatrics!

I would have thought most parents have the tea ready for kids when they come home regardless of age, & yes my parents did have the morgage paid but they certainly didn't spend all of their wages on me. (I wish!)

Had mine (3 aged 6, 7, and 11) in my twenties, and said once i reached 30 thats it.

I didn't have a career to think about....we both wanted kids and thought sooner would be better than later.

Don't know how i feel about being 40 and having their first child (purely cos of things i have heard from people who found the adjustments hard to handle....after so long being stuck in their ways and being able to just do whatever)....but i think having more children at 40 is fine as long health is good.

Hi Again
My best pal has just had a baby girl at 40yrs...this is No 6
Her fella has two boys from previous wife

So that's..
Girl 21
Girl 14
Twins 10
Boy 7
Boy 7
boy 3
girl 6 months
= 8 kids between them

And...they wan't another

you are as old as you feel...i you feel like an old fuddy, don't have kids

Jenx

Jenx

Hiya

I never had kids(choice)

and lots lots more

Good parents ROCK

Jenx
That is so funny:lol: :lol:

Had mine (3 aged 6, 7, and 11) in my twenties, and said once i reached 30 thats it.

I didn't have a career to think about....we both wanted kids and thought sooner would be better than later.

Don't know how i feel about being 40 and having their first child (purely cos of things i have heard from people who found the adjustments hard to handle....after so long being stuck in their ways and being able to just do whatever)....but i think having more children at 40 is fine as long health is good.

I too had my little ones in my twenties and said that I wouldn't have any after 30, however that little longing has returned and we are trying for another now I am 32, I do think that the sleepless night will be harder this time.

I don't personally think that having a baby in your 40's is a problem as long as you are healthy, I would imagine that it would come as quite a culture shock though if it was your first.

Latest posts

Back