Is over 40 too old to have a baby??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally i think live and let live!

If a woman is fit and healthy and wants a child its up to her. You also need to look at it from the other point of view: IE a forty something is most probably going to be financially and emotionally secure.

My mum looks after my kids when i am at work she is 56 and tbh better at it than i am :lol: she has a lot more patience! She had my brother and i before she was even 20 years old and that i just couldn't have coped with!

I had my first child at 26 and thought that was too early, just had another and i am 36. Although the last one wasn't planned i certainly wouldn't send him back, in fact i wouldn't mind another. Probably wont though :eek: :eek:

My mum had my younger brother when she was 32, according to her this was much easier than the time when she had me!

It was quite funny, when my brother was little, some people even thought that was my mum's grandson (mean my son! my mum doesnt look old neither) I was only about 10, how on earth I could have a son?!:rolleyes: Even now, I am 24 still wouldnt have any children yet, I am a career minded person, so god knows when I will have mine, I dont mind the life without children, but my mum already cant wait to be a grandmother, she thinks our children will be very beautiful, because he/she will be Chinese/English mixture:lol: My hubby will be 30 this year, he thinks we should have children soon, but I really dont feel I am ready yet:cry:

I think it is personal choice and really depends on the person I mean some women of 40 have more get up and go then someone much younger. The health risks must be consider though I mean by 40 a woman is at high risk of having more problems with the pregancy and the baby.
I had my children at 24 and 30 and to be honest having had them at that age I would never have one in my 40's but that just me :)

My opinion is that if you are healthy and want to either start a family or add another to your family, then go for it.

Life is short and if it's something that you really feel you need to do, then do it.

One of my best friends is 40 in a couple of months and her first and only child has just turned 2. She is so glad she took the leap into motherhood.

One of my other best friends is 39 this year and still not a mother, I know for a fact that if her partner (who already has 3) said he was ok with it, she would also jump at the chance.

Circumstances are always different in everyone's lives so if it takes till someone is over 39 to start a family, then I think that it's just wonderful that they still had the opportunity to experience it. x

I think when you truely want children there is no matter how old you are:hug:

I personally wanted my children young so wouldn't want any after 30 & always said I didn't want a big age gap between them. I have polycistic ovaries so conceiving at all is hard for me, been lucky with a bit of help having the 2 boys we have!! I'd love more but hubby says no & the longer we leave it the bigger the gap now & having to in theory start all over again!!:eek: But these days being an older mum generally isn't a problem!! I say if you've got the energy good on ya!!!! :) My 2 little monsters wear me out now, let alone adding 15 yrs to that & doing it all again, scary!!!! :eek: But I know women that have done it, some through choice & others a nice surprise & they all say they wouldn't change it happening then for the world although it is a little harder but keeps you young!!!:)

I don't think its too old, my friends just had her 3rd baby at 44, her other daughters are 16 & 14 and they are going to try for another :eek: .

For ME personally it is too old,simply because i had my son at 20,there's is no way i will still be having babies then !

However as long as a child is healthy,cared for and loved,who cares how old it's parents are,and who am i to judge ?

interesting thread.....

let me tell you little about my own parents and my own first hand experience....

my father and mother are both 78 years of age.... i am 32 years old and my parents had me when they were 46....!!!

i am the youngest in the family and the 9th child... when my mother was carrying me in her stomach.. her own daughter-in-law ( my eldest brother's wife) was also carrying her 2nd grandchild.....

when my mother use to pick me up from school.. all my friends thought she was my grandmother... everyone used to laugh at me and for a short period of time (until i knew better).. i hated being different...

i now have children of my own... i am a mother of 2 children but also a carer for my parents as they are now an old age.. every week i would drive myself to my parents house to look after them.. to go hospital check ups.. GP appointments.. read letters.. etc etc - whatever else that needs to be done... i always joke to my friends that i have not only 2 children but 4 in total...

in the past 5 years or so... i have watched my parents slowly deteoriate in front of my own eyes... loss of hearing.. loss of eyesight... forgetfulness.. sometimes my mother even calls me my sister's name.. and although my parents are still healthy physically at the moment.... i know that - in the back of my mind- that they wouldnt have many years left ahead of them...

last year.. my father asked me to find him and my mother a 'space' where they will lie when they go to rest... so i called round every cementry in my nearby area to find them that perfect 'space'.... so here i am.. at the age of 32.. trying to find graves for my parents....

Do i mind having older parents..? no...
Do i mind looking after them when they grow old...? no...

but i do mind that my parents will not be here to share many other happy things in my life when they are gone..
i do mind that my mother will not be able to be by my side when i need her help later on in life...
i do mind that i am not able to cry to my mother in my moments of sadness...

i do not blame or hate my parents for bringing me into this world so late in their lives.. i am simply saden by the fact that i have so little years together with them...

my aunty had been trying for ages to fall preggers and at 40 maybe 41 she had twins, although she did suffer a miscarry before going the term with the girls.

interesting Do i mind having older parents..? no...

but i do mind that my parents will not be here to share many other happy things in my life when they are gone..
i do mind that my mother will not be able to be by my side when i need her help later on in life...

i do not blame or hate my parents for bringing me into this world so late in their life.. i am simply saden by the fact that i have so little years together with them...

Look at it this way - at least you had a 32+ years of pure enjoyment of your parents and also their enjoyment and love of you.

Those without children/parents dont have that. If your parents hadnt have had you they wouldnt have the pleasure of you looking after them either. :hug:

interesting thread.....

let me tell you little about my own parents and my own first hand experience....

my father and mother are both 78 years of age.... i am 32 years old and my parents had me when they were 46....!!!

i am the youngest in the family and the 9th child... when my mother was carrying me in her stomach.. her own daughter-in-law ( my eldest brother's wife) was also carrying her 2nd grandchild.....

when my mother use to pick me up from school.. all my friends thought she was my grandmother... everyone used to laugh at me and for a short period of time (until i knew better).. i hated being different...

i now have children of my own... i am a mother of 2 children but also a carer for my parents as they are now an old age.. every week i would drive myself to my parents house to look after them.. to go hospital check ups.. GP appointments.. read letters.. etc etc - whatever else that needs to be done... i always joke to my friends that i have not only 2 children but 4 in total...

in the past 5 years or so... i have watched my parents slowly deteoriate in front of my own eyes... loss of hearing.. loss of eyesight... forgetfulness.. sometimes my mother even calls me my sister's name.. and although my parents are still healthy physically at the moment.... i know that - in the back of my mind- that they wouldnt have many years left ahead of them...

last year.. my father asked me to find him and my mother a 'space' where they will lie when they go to rest... so i called round every cementry in my nearby area to find them that perfect 'space'.... so here i am.. at the age of 32.. trying to find graves for my parents....

Do i mind having older parents..? no...

i do not blame or hate my parents for bringing me into this world so late in their life.. i am simply saden by the fact that i have so little years together with them...

Hunny this is very sad fact that you wont spend as many years with you parents as your older sis/brothers do... My mum and her youngest brother there are 11 years between them... but the main thing is that you love your parents and they love you!:hug: xx

If your parents hadnt have had you they wouldnt have the pleasure of you looking after them either. :hug:

funny you said that...

My mother told me she tried to 'get rid of me' when she found out she was pregnant... she have already 8 children and was not in the mind to have any more..

In the 'olden' days.. operation for abortion wasnt heard off.. the only way to dismiss an unwanted child was a trip down to the local herbal pharmacy... she drank 2 recipe of medicine but nothing happened... i was meant to be born..

My mother told me this story not because she wanted me to feel unwanted.. she told me because she wanted to let me know how grateful she is to what i am doing for them today...

My mother often tells me 'how stupid was i to not want you because if you were never born.... who would be here today to walk me through the last stages of my life..?'

although i have 8 brothers and sisters.. it has somehow ended with a situation that i become the sole responsibity for my parents.... but i do not complain... i do not feel they are a burden... it is my responsiblity as a daughter to look after my parents as they have spent many years of their lives raising me and caring for me... this is my duty...

one day soon.. when they are not here anymore... i can kiss them goodbye with no regrets... because deep down inside.. i know i was walking the last roads of their lives with them and i did what a proud daughter should do...

sometimes in life.. the things you think youre doing for other people is actually something you are doing for yourself..

Oh, and may I just add, that personally, I feel that I am a much better parent to my toddler at the ripe age of 43 than when I was 30 to my first born.

This is sooo true, my mum had a boy when i was 15 and a girl when i was 18, my elder brother was 18 and 21 when they were born and they are brought up so differently having older parents. My mum was 38 and 41 when she had them and 19 and 22 we she had me n my older brother.

Rachel xx

I can see both sides here. My boyfriend is in a similar situation to *flower*. He is 30 & his dad is in his 70s. He is now his dad's main carer, despite being the youngest in his family. He has older brothers but they have their own lives & don't see their dad very often and a sister who only lives down the road but doesn't want anything to do with their dad. Which just leaves him to cope with the help he now gets from social services. To a certain point this means he has put his life on hold for the time that he has been caring for his dad. He moved back home several years ago & has put off buying his own house to look after him. His dad is disabled & has lots of medical problems so needs almost constant care. I know how stressed out my boyfriend gets because of the extra burden on him but it's his dad so he doesn't complain (much!). However, we are now in the process of buying our first house. Social services have arranged a care plan for him so that he will still be looked after & we are only going to be 5-10 minutes away.

The other side is my family. I am the eldest child at 25, I have a brother who is 18 & a brother who is just about to turn 4. My mum will be 50 this year. As some of you know, my baby brother was adopted, as my parents are foster carers, so there were no age-related health risks to worry about. We went though all of this when my parents were deciding whether to adopt Louis or not. We had to consider whether it was fair to him, whether my parents could cope with 'starting again' for another 18 years & what would happen if anything happened to my parents. We decided that the most important factor was that we all loved him (we had him from 4 months old, we couldn't give him up!) & between us, we could handle whatever happened. We made the decision as a family so me & my brother had a say in it too.

My mum is fantastic with Louis, she has so much patience & she has more time to spend with him than when Chris & I were little. As she is a foster carer she doesn't work outside the house so she is always there for him. We have lots of young cousins & half cousins around his age so he doesn't miss out on having younger children to play with. If anything happens to my parents, I will be his legal guardian so his future is secure. He is surrounded by people who love him. My parents may be nearly 50 but they still have plenty of energy to run around after a 4 year old, plus he has me & Chris to look after him.

The only problem that they have had is when my mum found out she was ill. All last year she was being treated for breast cancer. The chemo & radiotherapy really took it out of her & she didn't have the energy she normally has BUT she was determined to keep a normal routine for the sake of my little brother. He really got her through it, she didn't sit back & give in to it but kept going & he kept her spirits up. As he was born with problems, he is hyperactive & can be very challenging at times, but we wouldn't be without him. If he had been adopted by a younger family with less experience, they may not have been able to cope with his behaviour so he may have found it hard to settle. My mum is a hero for taking on such a challenge when her biological children had already grown up & she could have just sat back and relaxed!

Latest posts

Back